The Need for Errata

Well finally got home and able to pick up the book, In the example they give Conan getting 4 ranks in 3 skills for his 12 INT bonus skill points. Guess that clears it up...

I don't happen to have my book with me. So can someone look this example up tell us if the 3 skills he gets 4 ranks in are all class skills or if one or more are cross class skills. If indeed he puts 4 ranks in a cross class skill with his bonus INT points then that could imply that bonus INT points ignore cross class skill point limitations. Or it simply could just be another oversight and contradiction :)

Even D&D 3.5 PHB had some problems with examples not matching up to the rules. So this could be another instance of that.

-Rob

Iron_Chef wrote..

I was that original questioner and was not satisfied with the answer, although I was partly mollified by learning that one could spend their bonus Int skill points on any skill as a class skill (but limited to cross class max ranks), something I did not understand when I asked the question...

Actually if the assumption that bonus INT points do not ignore cross class skill limitation maximums then this relevation changes nothing. Sure it may cost you a few less skill points to get some ranks in those areas. However it does not help you qualify any SOONER. Meaning your still not able to get 4 ranks in a cross class skill until 5th level. I thought that point was the thrust of your original question.

-Rob

Sorry, the example given Conan gets all cross class skills, Gather Info, Search, and I believe Hide. So it would appear that INT bonus skill points are spent at full value, and with Class maximums applied. This is a logistical nightmare for any GM. Especially if there is any multiclassing going on. Not trying to question the integrity of any players, but we all human and make mistakes.

The new 2nd edition book, should have Allen Myers added to the list of Playtesters. He has contributed to quite a bit to the ongoing Conan Saga.

I shall sacrifice a village of picts to ensure that his name gets added. If not, then I shall haunt this message board more than normal. Mwahahahackcough....

I'm still amused by the comments others have made about how its only 3rd party publishers who are poor proofreaders.

On a whim, I went and checked the D&D 3.5 Errata. Bear in mind this is effectively the 3rd printing, since they had two printings of 3.0, then one of 3.5.

Between the PHB and the DMG (which is effectively equivalent to the one conan book) there are four pages of errata. In tiny print. After two re-prints.

Mayhem said:
I'm still amused by the comments others have made about how its only 3rd party publishers who are poor proofreaders.

On a whim, I went and checked the D&D 3.5 Errata. Bear in mind this is effectively the 3rd printing, since they had two printings of 3.0, then one of 3.5.

Between the PHB and the DMG (which is effectively equivalent to the one conan book) there are four pages of errata. In tiny print. After two re-prints.

As I recall it the first errata for DnD 3rd edition was like 150 pages long.
It was a HUGE file.
Now they just try to stay clear by setting a "source priority" rule, instead of fixing their misstakes. That is why the current errata is so short.

/wolf

Back