The Horned God Campaign no longer coming?

blue crane

Mongoose
Hi there!

I can no longer seem to find information on this 'Classic Campaign'. Has it been canceled?

Thank you.

Regards,
Blue Crane

I just noticed this too.
When I first heard of this campaign I thought it was great, then I understood this was just the adaptation of the horned god campaign to the 3.5 rules.
In fact I would prefer a brand new Slaine campaign (whatever the rules).

old bear said at the tourney that the horned god was not a case of repackaging old stuff but will be to fit a standard campain will have to be totally redone so will take alot of time to do as slaine is low magic,has no money no easy healing etc so it will be some challenge but intreasting enougth that when it is done one day will buy it. 8)

as far as I understand :shock: the base will be the old slaine campain but slaine it self causes problems just by being slaine as well as the campain was linked to the comics and the tribes so much that it does scream major rewrite which is great for fans when it comes out

So that would imply to me that either some "Slaine for 3.5" stuff needs to be added to the book, or that Slaine references need to be removed from the scenario to make it more "generic". As this is a "complete campaign", I'd imagine mostly the former, with a little of the latter.

toothill man said:
also if the slaine bits are removed some thing will have to replace that or it will be a really really thin book :lol:

:lol:

Well I meant in as much as elements that require classes/rules/etc from the Slaine core rulebook. So if - for example - they leave the tribes in, they need to tell D&Ders what they are, if it's set in the Land of the Young, they need to add some gazetteer-type info, and so forth.

I would guess that to reach the larger market, it will take the form of a "drop this area into your existing game world" kind of thing.

toothill man said:
as far as I understand :shock: the base will be the old slaine campain but slaine it self causes problems just by being slaine as well as the campain was linked to the comics and the tribes so much that it does scream major rewrite which is great for fans when it comes out
Is this because Mongoose doesn't own the licence anymore?
When I think of it, how do you want to do a new campaign with the 3.5 rules if you don't modify the Slaine core book?
I believe Slaine RPG is almost an OGL system (with its own classes and magic) so it doesn't need any adaptation.
What it needs, though, is a new campaign for level 8 and above. :D

The King said:

I'm pretty certain they still have the license, or the new material in S&P probably couldn't happen. The most likely reason Slaine books aren't being done is that other lines simply sell better - you write a Slaine campaign book and a Conan campaign book, they take the same amount of time and energy, and the Conan one sells (at a guess) 50 times as many copies. If you only have time for one, you write the Conan book. If you have time for two... you write two Conan books... :)

mthomason said:
The King said:

I'm pretty certain they still have the license, or the new material in S&P probably couldn't happen. The most likely reason Slaine books aren't being done is that other lines simply sell better - you write a Slaine campaign book and a Conan campaign book, they take the same amount of time and energy, and the Conan one sells (at a guess) 50 times as many copies. If you only have time for one, you write the Conan book. If you have time for two... you write two Conan books... :)
You're most certainly right. Anyway we have to thank the Mongoose for daring to release a great 4-part campaign.
But as with everything that is good, I WANT MORE!

The alternative is of course to buy the original. Ebay and quite a few stores seem to sell Slaine off quite cheap. And its still probably the best RPG that Mongoose have done to date. :lol:

I already bought it (I am quite a fan of earth mythology) but I initally believed this 256-pages campaign announced by Mongoose would be a new one as a kind of sequel of the old.
IMO Slaine RPG can run well without the 3.5 rules.

I'm just sad to see it drop off the schedule. I was really looking forward to the 3.5 conversion of The Horned God. In the past, I thought Mongosse would rush something to print rather than delay it. I didn't think it would get pushed off altogether, though. I'll hope that it is a delay, not a cancellation; and that the extra time will make for a better product. (I'm looking for a silver lining to this dark cloud).

Back