The Future...

DamonJynx

Cosmic Mongoose
Whilst it is disappointing that Mongoose will no longer be publishing "Runequest and Glorantha" products, it is very encouraging to see they will be supporting their fantasy RPG's with the re-badged Runequest-Wayfarer product line.

However, these kinds of changes, regardless of publishers, are IMO the catalyst for illegal downloading. I'm not suggesting or condoning this, but I understand why people do it.

As an example:

In approx 2001/2002 I spent a couple of hundred bucks on D&D V3.0. The only group I found locally were playing 2nd ED.
In about 2004 we started playing V3.0 but then V3.5 came out. So long to several hundred dollars on new rules and settings books. Then 4 years or whatever later, D&D 4.0 comes out. Another hundred bucks or so for the three core books + a couple of setting books. Then the errata, the never ending changes...

As a result of WoTC constant tinkering we decided to look for other systems to play. I wasn't going to pay $30-60 for rulebooks I wasn't sure my gaming group would want to play, so what are the options? I don't have a lot of disposable income and I can't afford to waste it on books I may never use. Then I discovered Runequest and I thought my prayers were answered, apparently not.

Now the same kind of thing is happening with the Runequest rules. I fully support Mongooses decision to republish the rules in the less expensive format, but it wasn't a long period between their revisions of RQ and now this has happened, so there will yet another revision a year or two later.

Makes you wonder what's going to happen in the future...

I'm not real keen on the name "Wayfarer" either, but they could call it "The Big Book of Poo" and I'd still play it so long as the contents remain unchanged.

I'm liking tBBoP.

Having gone through this more times that I care to count over the last 30 years, I'm just going to wait and see.

The only thing that I do know is I don't really like the 8x5 form factor. But maybe I'll change my mind, especially if it shows well on my Kindle. :wink:

Steve

Redcrow said:
I'm not real keen on the name "Wayfarer" either
I mentioned the rebranding to my wife the other night.
Her: Oh, isn't there already a system called that?
Me: Ah, you're probably thinking of Pathfinder.

edit: I should probably add that I don't mind the name ;) I wasn't attracted to 'Runequest II' for the name (or the history that I knew almost nothing off) but for the ruleset. Still, it is a bit homely.

Redcrow said:
I'm not real keen on the name "Wayfarer" either, but they could call it "The Big Book of Poo" and I'd still play it so long as the contents remain unchanged.

There's already a fantasy role playing game called "Wayfarer".

http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/wayfarersmain.htm

I don't know much about it, but I wonder how the company that publishes this game will react to Mongoose using the same title for their fantasy RPG.

I like the name RuneQuest, but since Mongoose will no longer have the license to produce Glorantha material, the title will be somewhat meaningless.

Although I'm a little disappointed that Glorantha source material will no longer be available for RuneQuest II, I really like the system.
I was starting to really get into Second Age Glorantha, but it's not the only setting that interests me.
As long as Mongoose continues to publish Elric and Hawkmoon source material, I'll get over the loss of Glorantha. Vikings seems pretty interesting as well, and of course, (Matt we will never get tired of saying this) the Conan setting for RuneQuest II (or Wayfarer, or whatever it's called) would be awesome!

HA HA HAH AHA HA !!!! MurderHobos! Love it! Not only is it funny, it's essentially true! Aren't "adventurers" more often than not glorified, well armed vagrants who either sleep outdoors or at taverns?

Jujitsudave said:
HA HA HAH AHA HA !!!! MurderHobos! Love it! Not only is it funny, it's essentially true! Aren't "adventurers" more often than not glorified, well armed vagrants who either sleep outdoors or at taverns?

Psychopathic, cleptomaniac tramps, the lot of em! :lol:

Back