The Connections Rule

vladthemad said:
As far as the rolling first and letting them pick the table afterward, how has that worked out for you?

What RTT said ;)

Seriously, never been a problem here either. The best part is it takes away the occasional blush of disappointment after char gen - "I wanted to be a hot-shot interstellar pilot but I only got small craft 1..." The Connections and Package skills obviously help quite a bit in that situation but sometimes the players want to be Heroic :!:

We usually keep to four terms and pretty much every body has at least one term where they can't get a preferred skill so there's still an element of randomness and a chance to role play / backstory some odd results.

NOLATrav said:
vladthemad said:
As far as the rolling first and letting them pick the table afterward, how has that worked out for you?

What RTT said ;)

Seriously, never been a problem here either. The best part is it takes away the occasional blush of disappointment after char gen - "I wanted to be a hot-shot interstellar pilot but I only got small craft 1..." The Connections and Package skills obviously help quite a bit in that situation but sometimes the players want to be Heroic :!:

We usually keep to four terms and pretty much every body has at least one term where they can't get a preferred skill so there's still an element of randomness and a chance to role play / backstory some odd results.
What they said. 8)

I don't really care if one of my players has a character with (as I do now, e.g.) Tactics-5: graduated with honors from the Army Academy then got drummed out after one term, successfully promoted a number of times and wound up with (no kidding) *4* Enemies in just five terms. The player was excited about RPing a wunderkind who just rubs certain folks the wrong way, in a big way.

Back