The Conan system without Conan

Yes, I know it sound blasphemous, but hear me out. I like the Mongoose basic system and combat system used for Conan. I liked the basic premise for Sorcery, but found it limiting, which is why I am in the process of redesigning it. However, I am feeing confined by Howard's Hyborian world and timeline and my players always feel they are living in the shadow of a certain Cimmerian. So in the interest of exploring new options, I am deciding to experiment with a world, in Dark Tower parlance, next Door to the Hyborian world where I can stretch my creative wings. I have considered making the world less politically fractured, a little less dark, notch up the Sorcery content a small amount- no D&D metamagic or common [or for that matter safe] magical artefacts though. Also I have a plan to create a Hyborian Empire modeled on the Roman Empire of old, a Stygian Hegemony that combines the old Stygians with the precepts of Islamic fanatism. [I even plan to have these two repressive political structures share a border- what fun! 8)] Other countries would be modifed, the geography reshaped a little and I'd be adding a new race- the Keltoi, based on the warriors-poets of pre-Christian Celtic Myth. There'd be no non-human races- at least no wholesome ones. And oh yeah, I'd throw in the Lovecraftian/Howardian ancient civilizations and horrors.

My players are looking forward to it and I have laready started drawing up the new maps. If anyone wants a copy of the material I am making for the world as I create it, let me know and I 'll set up a mailing list.

Over and Out,

Raven

I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you're up to. Right from the getgo when I was reading my Conan core book I was thinking "These rules would be awesome for X setting and Y setting and Z setting."

So count me in.

Interesting.

I decided just some hours ago that if I decide to run a D&D game again at any time in the future, I'll be using Conan with a different magic system.

I certainly don't see anything blaspheous about using the system in other settings. Isn't tweaking, mixing and matching settings and rules a large part of what roleplayers do (those that bother posting on message boards, anyway)?

slaughterj said:
The system could well enough port over to Lankhmar as well.

Lankhmar or Thieves' World I'd say would suit the Conan system.

If unhappy with Conan magic (I was), try Call of Cthulhu d20. Anyone can cast spells (if they can learn them), but must pay a terrible price (usually temporary ability drain) for doing so. IIRC, in the Conan stories, wizards seem to only cast a minor spell or two or one major one before being cut in half (if they could have cast more, they would have staved off death a few more rounds or even won). Cthulhu's magic system enforces this. Add Cthulhu Mythos (or not) as a knowlege skill. Add Sanity Points (or not). I tried it once and thought it was fun as GM, but the players were resentful of losing sanity everytime they cast a spell, LOL. Go figure. :lol:

SableWyvern said:
Interesting.

I decided just some hours ago that if I decide to run a D&D game again at any time in the future, I'll be using Conan with a different magic system.

I have already started creating a new magic system. The rough notes for it are posted here under 'Raven's Rules of Sorcery v 1.1' and I maintain a more organized master file that I can e-mail to anyone who sends me a pm with an e-mail address, plus I send the updates as I make them as well. It is very much in alpha testing now and I don't have a full spell list yet. I tend to create spells on the fly in the game and then post them. One day though, probably sometime next the North American winter when I am stuck inside I'll have a full spell list.

And yeah, Fate seems to be with me switching worlds too. Last night my players screwed up an adventure so badly the Hyborian World as they know it may in fact be destroyed. After all, when you've just failed to prevent an avatar of Dekerta to be let loose on the world and awoken an ancient demon now ravanging the northern landscape of Argos, things can't be good.

I certainly don't see anything blaspheous about using the system in other settings. Isn't tweaking, mixing and matching settings and rules a large part of what roleplayers do (those that bother posting on message boards, anyway)?

It is why I roleplay, rather than try to write tradional fiction. I like to watch thing move in unexpected direction and see where they take me.

Well, that and the chance to show off a little. 8)

Raven

Damien said:
I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you're up to. Right from the getgo when I was reading my Conan core book I was thinking "These rules would be awesome for X setting and Y setting and Z setting."

So count me in.

Pm an e-mail and I'll send you what I make. Now note that I'm still working on a Lovecraftian book named The Tomes of Utalis and still need to type up the notes for the Cult of the Earth Mother for LokiOne, so I won't have anything for a bit. but I'll keep anyone interested in what I am making on a mailing list.

Raven

consider me interested as well.......i'm already doing something similar b/c of some of the same reasons you mentioned and i can always look at more ideas.....

Raven Blackwell said:
And yeah, Fate seems to be with me switching worlds too. Last night my players screwed up an adventure so badly the Hyborian World as they know it may in fact be destroyed. After all, when you've just failed to prevent an avatar of Dekerta to be let loose on the world and awoken an ancient demon now ravanging the northern landscape of Argos, things can't be good.

Never fear, Conan can always save the day! Your players will love it ;)

Actually, I am refusing to use plot hooks here. The players have in my experienced opinion haven't been unlucky- they've really screwed up. They actaully abandoned the last adventure and ran for the hills, letting whatever evil that was going to happen happen- thus dooming the Baron's daughter slated to be sacrificed. Considering the adventure type this is like as if Conan and his companions in the movie Conan the Destroyer ran off and let Queen Taramis kill Jehenna and bring Dagon to lfe. The being thus summoned into the world- an Avatar of Dekerta the Destroyer with 22 HD, DR 20, the abilities of a 25th level Scholar and a demon and who can cast death gaze at will once a round- tracked down and killed half the party in one night, heck in one minute before having to return to her hellish plane of existence that morning. Worse yet, in a feeble attempt to stop Dekerta the Destroyer, a Stygian in the party activated an artefact which released a flying snake demon which to this point is still ravanging northern Argos while the tattered remains of the party slink off to Messantia. The few survivors and a bunch of just starting characters are now all that's left to stop the uber-evil that's the real threat. If they can't rally and save the world, I'm going to let it end and see if it makes them more focused on saving the next one. 8)

Besides I know them- they'd attack Conan themselves....

Raven, who wonders where all the heroes went....

Iron_Chef said:
Lankhmar or Thieves' World I'd say would suit the Conan system.

Agreed. If someone else wants to break down the worlds to fit the Mongoose system though, I'd be game to try. I don't know enough about these works to do so and I am sort of already over committed here....8)

Raven

I'll be using Conan rules with the Wilderlands setting (old Judge's Guild setting being revived by Necromancer Games). It's perfect and I've done the work of converting all the races/classes as well as adding a few. There are non-humans (elves, dwarves, and some other fantasy staples like amazons) but for the most part the action is around the conquest of old ruins and carving out a land to rule while vying with the other political factions.

With D&D rules, a 7th level sorcerer can blow the heck out of a small army. With Conan RPG a hundred fighting men is something to be afraid of at any level and a vastthrong of Viridian pikemen supported by archers with carbellium arrows means "What month of the year would you like to send the tribute wagons?". :wink:

While every rule can be malleable enough for tweaking, I too have often disgarded traditional rules for something of my own design. The Sorcery system of Conan CAN be way too convoluted and involves a hell of a lot of page turning. The truth can be said about classic D&D as well.

But the ideal of players screwing up should not come as a suprise to a GM. Its always been my belief that a GM should never, ever, ever, anticipate or assume how a player will act, especially in regards to a quest or quest individual. I try to plan for what they MIGHT do, but I never give them just one path to follow. So even if they screw up massively (as it seems they have done), there is always a chance to turn it around. While a punishment for being stupid or useless should be extraced from them (as you have done by killing a few PCs), the campaign or their fun does not have to end.

Ah memories. I am still called Nick the Gribbly Killer in my old group especially because I like to mess with GMs and their campaigns. Killing NPCs was my fave ;)

René said:
Anyone used CONAN-rules with Dark Sun?

I think this system would be a great fit for Dark Sun. Definately better than the base d20 system. I have no desire to run Dak Sun right now, but if I did, I would be looking to use the Conan system.

Neeklus said:
The Sorcery system of Conan CAN be way too convoluted and involves a hell of a lot of page turning. The truth can be said about classic D&D as well.

Once again, I am going to plug my 'patch' on the Mongoose Sorcery system- "Raven's Rules for Sorcery v 1.1". The rough notes are posted elsewhere on this forum under that title, and I have a cleaner master file of the work in progress I can mail anyone who sends me a pm with an e-mail address. I also send out the updates as they come.

But the ideal of players screwing up should not come as a suprise to a GM. Its always been my belief that a GM should never, ever, ever, anticipate or assume how a player will act, especially in regards to a quest or quest individual.

Also my belief. I run character based games where the plot is run by indivudals who react to the player's actions. It is just that the players this time around pulled a really underwhelming performance, even for them. The bad guys never even broke a sweat as the majority of the players weren't even interested in solving the mystery- they were too busy squabbling among themselves and trying to become more powerful with Corrupt Sorcery. Strangely enough those were the characters that died by the hand of Dekerta and were dragged to Hell- and I didn't even plan it that way. Karma transends worlds it seems. 8)

I try to plan for what they MIGHT do, but I never give them just one path to follow. So even if they screw up massively (as it seems they have done), there is always a chance to turn it around.

Unless I wrote in glowing letters in the sky, I couldn't have been more obvious on this one. Hell, one of the players found the book with the information needed to piece the clues together but never even read it. They attacked a potential ally, shafted their employer, helped a demon sent to kill a NPC with needed information, fled the country and refused to listen to the two PCs who actually beginning to piece the clues together. So thus a small town in Zingara was flattened to the ground, one of their their long term allies slain, two PCs were obliterated by the avatar of Dekerta with another one losing thier Priest status and aging 5 years but surviving.

Not exactly a shining moment. I just have one question- if they don't want to risk [virtual] life and limb, challenge the forces of evil and have an adventure while doing so, why are they playing Conan with me? 8)

While a punishment for being stupid or useless should be extraced from them (as you have done by killing a few PCs), the campaign or their fun does not have to end.

I have already decided to end the campaign and stop using Howard's Hyboria, so if the players really screw up I have no incentive to save their bacon from the fire. I am already concocting the new world [working title: "NeoHyboria"] as we speak and a new campaign.

Also, if your players feel you'll always save the day for them just to keep the game going, what incentive do they have to do it themselves? 8)

Raven

Good points. Of course acting in the name of GOOD isn't always the way forward. Being agents of evil and seeing the benefits/drawbacks of such a choice is always fun. It CAN become more hard work and annoying however. I remember a Dark Side based SW campaign I ran: basically it ended up being the first person to annoy someone else would spark the biggest lightsaber battles.

And yeah, I too often get soft with my players. Incentives can only be in the game (which usually are nice items or rewards - something sadly lacking Conan). I always try my best to provide rewards that aren't such things like +2 uber sword of mega doom, but rather characterful and fun, like castles, retainers, titles, ships etc. Of course if the players aren't interested no incentive beyond something really physical (like real money or sweets) will gain their attention.

You are right in that this campaign is becoming more of a moral lesson than an adventure. One PC's past is about to catch up with them- his Criminam Reputation has become too high and he has just lost his Diety's [Bel] favour by ignoring his Priestly duties, so I expect him to either be lynched or forced to hack apart the town guard and flee civilization for a while. Of course, considering his behavior he has no one to blame except himself.

The three player who have kept their noses clean, or at least not pissed of the wrong people, are likely to form the the nucleus of a new group. I wonder if they'll learn their lesson?

Probably not.

Raven, 8)

Back