The All New 2300AD

TrippyHippy said:
For me, one question I have is whether the 2300AD box set, which is a supplement, will be possible to run with the upcoming Traveller Explorer’s Edition? It’s not a question that affects me directly, as I already have both the Core Rules and Starter Set anyway, but it could be a factor in getting an uptake from first time buyers.

Technically, yes... The Explorer's Edition has just Scout and Scholar careers in it, so it is very focussed. Also be aware that 2300AD builds on a lot of Traveller rules so there may be some fudging and there may be areas of 2300AD that simply won't get used.

So, technically yes - but we would recommend the full fat rulebook.

TrippyHippy said:
Also, what does the cover look like? One thing that did look good in the 2300AD for MGT1 book was the cover.

Will be revealed tomorrow!

GunbunnyFuFu said:
Also, it's showing 28 days worth of consumables for 10 people. I'm assuming that 16 people would use more consumables, so it'd in reality be about 19-ish days (math is hard!).

So...crew of 12, +4. You'd need to double bunk 6 of the staterooms. It sure won't be the Captain's stateroom that gets double-bunked!! :D

GBFF

I'm counting only 10 crew and the implication of a separate passenger value is that they are in addition to the 10 crew. This means every room would be double bunked and you still have to find space to squeeze 6 people.
If the entry were meant to indicate 10 crew + 6 non-crew I would expect the heading to be something like "capacity" instead, although from the deckplans, squeezing 10+6 people into that space does seem more reasonable than 10+16. Then again, there is a hatch behind the bridge and we don't have the cargo bay, airlock or probe launcher shown, so I expect at least a second deck to this ship.

MongooseMatt said:
In the meantime, we wanted to give you a little preview of one of the workhorse spacecraft of this universe, the Manchurian Star Carrier...

I'm not sure about this though - we are definitely into retro-futurism here, because Space X has already demonstrated how reusable rockets are the future. Would anybody really still be using disposable rockets 200 years time?

Also - those deck plans for the scout seem to imply a 'ship' or 'airplane' layout, where I would have thought a 'tower' layout would be more appropriate. The only g forces it is going to feel are when accelerating with thrust, so the floors should be arranged so that down is towards the engine nozzle.

swampslug said:
I'm counting only 10 crew and the implication of a separate passenger value is that they are in addition to the 10 crew. This means every room would be double bunked and you still have to find space to squeeze 6 people.
If the entry were meant to indicate 10 crew + 6 non-crew I would expect the heading to be something like "capacity" instead, although from the deck plans, squeezing 10+6 people into that space does seem more reasonable than 10+16. Then again, there is a hatch behind the bridge and we don't have the cargo bay, airlock or probe launcher shown, so I expect at least a second deck to this ship.

Having a second deck to the ship would make sense, and could certainly account for the passenger area as well as cargo area. In fact, the cargo area (2 tons IIRC) could be modular in nature, and one of those modules could be a passenger compartment. Hopefully, we'll see the full deck plans tomorrow!

GBFF

OrdosMalleus said:
Do 2300AD ships have armor? I see no stat listing for armor points.

Armour is indeed a thing, but the example ships do not have any - hence the stat line for armour is removed.

Combat ships on the other hand... plenty of armour there (and the Aerospace Engineer's Handbook will be bringing some 230-0AD-specific options to the table as well...).

MongooseMatt said:
OrdosMalleus said:
Do 2300AD ships have armor? I see no stat listing for armor points.

Armour is indeed a thing, but the example ships do not have any - hence the stat line for armour is removed.

Combat ships on the other hand... plenty of armour there (and the Aerospace Engineer's Handbook will be bringing some 230-0AD-specific options to the table as well...).

Ok. Thanks. Just my 2Cr, but having a uniform stat block and simply show the Armor as 0 would make more sense.

OrdosMalleus said:
Ok. Thanks. Just my 2Cr, but having a uniform stat block and simply show the Armor as 0 would make more sense.

This comes from the formatting of other Traveller ships. For example, if a ship does not have a Jump Drive, we remove the Jump Drive line from the block - gives us a bit more space in layout and the reader more clarity.

TrippyHippy said:
Also, does New Zealand still exist?

In 2300AD of course!

Also, any pictures of aliens yet?

I am going to give my totally unofficial take.... :lol:

In the Second Year of the Great Covid Pandemic, the history books stated that there
was a Country Called New Zealand and its Prime Minister cut the country off from the
rest of the World for the second time... after this, the records get real fuzzy...
particularly after the twilight war...seems nobody made any contact again...

New Zealand has become a lost Mythical land, lost in the fog banks of the
South Pacific. There are old-Timers in Australia, who swear after a few beers
at the beach pub, that there is something out there in the Fog Banks to the East.
Some Lost Mythical Kingdom, but the stories get really strange... Some people
say that the land is inhabited by short people called hobbits... others say
that there was some flightless bird called a "kiwi", which is what its
inhabitants were called. People argue about this... some say the inhabitants
are people very much like Australians but called Kiwis, others adamantly
say the inhabitants were bird-people... Some others say that there
is a Gigantic Ape that lives on the islands behind the fog bank.

The general consensus... is to be safe and leave them be... they
made a promise to re-contact the rest of the world when they
have decided the Pandemic is over... Leave them be...Let the
Bird People sleep soundly beyond the fog bank...

Well, that was my idea... I profoundly believe this is NOT what Mongoose or
any rational person believes... But my guess this is what happened to New Zealand.

Chumbly :lol:

MongooseMatt said:
GunbunnyFuFu said:
It's Friday!

Let the F5/Refresh fest begin!

It will be a couple of hours or so yet - we are doing the last proofing right now!

NOOOOO!!!!

(Looks for a match to burn all my Traveller books in rage)

Sighs. I guess we can wait a LITTLE more... :(

Is that part of the cover? That's sharp!

*EDIT* Nope...part of the header for the 2300 AD 2nd edition web store.

GBFF

Back