the alien station at Vume (Pirates of Drinax)

GamingGlen

Banded Mongoose
So my group is about to rescue the noble and retinue taken by one of the crazed human factions on the alien station in the Vume system. Is there any other details about this station? I have some questions.

Is the normal highport attached to the alien station or is it a separate orbiting body? Are either or both orbiting a planet? Is there a planet or does the UWP represents the alien station?

What threat could a crazed faction be to a group wearing combat armor? Might they have very high tech weaponry (which the PCs would get control of and that may not be a good thing) or even made from station materials that have high AP trait? I do want the PCs to have some sense of danger. I've done the acidic blood thing (Chamax) and don't want to yank on that trope so soon again. I was going to let the faction have TL 17 shields as their only armor, which King Oleb will want to take from the PCs for his Hawk Warriors.

Re: the noble
I haven't yet decided the noble's personality. Will he sacrifice the rest of his retinue easily so he can escape or will he insist some others go first (family yes, servants maybe).

Some thoughts:
Should I remind the PCs to take protection or other things for the people needing rescued? (I don't think so). A couple of the PCs have really high INT and should think of these things, but then that's not my job as referee.

Another patron wants everyone to wear body cameras for future holovid. Since there's some interference with signals coming out of the unsafe areas, each camera will also have their own storage. Getting the camera out is necessary to get the pay out. Cr 50,000 per camera (one to each person) sound good?

The noble's protection/combat robot went in but will be seen within a short distance lying in a heap peppered with tiny holes throughout. The aliens didn't like robots or other independent/mobile AI devices so have some sort of weaponry firing small balls. This also stops video drones from following the PCs or scouting drones before that (might see a couple with the same fate). That weaponry will not be found, but should give a sense of danger to the PCs.

I was thinking of using the old Judges Guild Dra'k'ne Station module as the alien station (with a manufactured exterior, not an asteroid), but I've used it before. I don't know if the players will recall it.

Pirates of Drinax Bk 2 said:
Each strain has different effects on human thought processes, so the four factions are biologically incapable of understanding each other – or uninfected outsiders.
You can extend that effect to the groups' technology. Yeah, the Travellers might capture a gun that inflicted OMGWTFBBQ damage, but... they might not be able to figure out how it works. Or -- even better -- how and with what to reload it. Scholar Voha might be able to figure it out, but he'll figure it out at the speed of plot. You can give it to them again when they are facing threats that require that caliber of weaponry.

cunningrat said:
Pirates of Drinax Bk 2 said:
Each strain has different effects on human thought processes, so the four factions are biologically incapable of understanding each other – or uninfected outsiders.
You can extend that effect to the groups' technology. Yeah, the Travellers might capture a gun that inflicted OMGWTFBBQ damage, but... they might not be able to figure out how it works. Or -- even better -- how and with what to reload it. Scholar Voha might be able to figure it out, but he'll figure it out at the speed of plot. You can give it to them again when they are facing threats that require that caliber of weaponry.

Ah, thanks, I like that.

I'm going with the noble is a kind spirit who has his two sons and three servants with him. He insists they get preferential treatment, wounds attended, armor, food, etc, before him. He'll even extend that to any "weaker" person (there's one female among the PCs, and she's not a combat person - entertainer/advocate). The caveat on them getting paid the MCr 1 is that the noble gets out alive, no one else matters. One of the PCs has a high SOC so he'll recognize the noble.

Back