The 3rd Age - Thoughts

E221b

Mongoose
I know that Mongoose up deals only with the 2nd Age of Glorantha. Is that because Greg Stafford and Issaries keep the 3rd Age licenses and setting to themselves?

I ask because in recent years there have been very few new source-books containing Stafford's continuing vision for how the 3rd Age plays out and while 'King of Sartar' has some clues, it is deliberately vague and I, for one, would like to see more 3rd Age material. Glorantha.com has barely been updated since 2005 and I am definitely concerned about the dearth of new material concerning the Hero Wars.

Thoughts? Comments? Any new information?

PS: My friends and I combined have almost EVERY RQ/HW/HQ book that has ever been released (pretty much) - so we do have a lot of information about the 3rd age, just very little past 1625-ish and the start of the Hero Wars besides the few recent(-ish) Issaries 'Sartar Rising' series and the aforementioned (very confusing and vague) 'King of Sartar'

I believe there is quite a bit of Third Age HQ stuff about to come out. A new Pavis pack is planned for next year, as well as Heroes of Malkion about the West. As for the future timeline, I beleive Greg is working on a "Great Argrath Campaigh".

More info and Third Age discussions can be found on the WorldofGlorantha n Yahoo group.

Hi,

I can tell you now that there is a ruck of work for the third age in the pipeline. epic campaigns for The West, The Seas and The Elves are all in various stages of layout and there is an new Orlanthi Book and Pavis book in the works as we speak.

The main go slow is that Moon Design's employee all hold down other jobs and this means that we rely on our very limited spare time to do the work.

Simon

Blackyinkin said:
Hi,

I can tell you now that there is a ruck of work for the third age in the pipeline. epic campaigns for The West, The Seas and The Elves are all in various stages of layout and there is an new Orlanthi Book and Pavis book in the works as we speak.

The main go slow is that Moon Design's employee all hold down other jobs and this means that we rely on our very limited spare time to do the work.

Simon

Been like that since 1982, hasn't it?
I won't hold my breath, alas.

durulz said:
Blackyinkin said:
Hi,

Simon

Been like that since 1982, hasn't it?
I won't hold my breath, alas.

Pretty safe to do so - at least with regard to the Sartar Book and the Pavis Book. We are pretty near finished with the draft Sartar Book and Loz and I will be doing the Pavis Book.

Jeff

Unfortunately, I think that glorantha by issaries/moondesign is quite dead

Why ? Because there is no publications, only promises
And for some years now, all announces were contradicted by another promises :D

Sartar book and pavis book are not new stuff, only books for new players compatibles with the new set of rules (heroquest 2).
If you are an “old” fan and want new stuff, you have to wait, a long time (doubtless), for heroes of malkion, distant shores or oak and thorn, which are the last promises :D

About the hero wars ? Only the great argrath campaign is announced, without any release date. Perhaps my children will be able to read it one day
:lol:

As far as I am aware, Greg and others have been very reluctant to define Glorantha's history past 1625 or so. The vagueness of the future history in King of Sartar is deliberate. The reason for this is that they don't wish to channel games down one particular path, but allow each group of PCs to determine their own and the world's destiny. The Hero Wars' outcome is determined by your PCs, and there is no "canonical" outcome.

Personally, I think this is a great idea, and I'm mostly hoping they stick with it!

artmal said:
Unfortunately, I think that glorantha by issaries/moondesign is quite dead

Why ? Because there is no publications, only promises
And for some years now, all announces were contradicted by another promises :D

Sartar book and pavis book are not new stuff, only books for new players compatibles with the new set of rules (heroquest 2).
If you are an “old” fan and want new stuff, you have to wait, a long time (doubtless), for heroes of malkion, distant shores or oak and thorn, which are the last promises :D

:lol:

Thank you for telling me what material will be or will not be in the books Loz and I are writing.

Jeff

It was a typo!

But actually the majority of the people who work for Moon Design are freelancers, myself included. Rick Meints is the top man and any questions regarding the future of Moon Design should be forwarded to him. Mongoose have dedicated employed staff writers and editors, Moon Design does not. Things have been slow lately, but that does not mean that the company or its product has died and I ask that you do not go spreading these sorts of comments.

Simon

I'll second what Simon (Black Yinkin) says.

Although I'm not part of Moon Designs, I'm in regular contact with people who are and know of the terrifying amount of new good stuff that is in the pipeline. Stuff that will take time to proof read, layout and generally get into shape. Things are being worked on, with a huge amount of love and respect for the work, but because the people involved are doing this in their spare time, with real life intruding sometimes, it will be inevitably slow.

And as for Sartar and Pavis being just reprints of old material, recent chats with Jeff and Loz have convinced me that this is not going to be the case.

So show some patience and respect for those involved.

the lack of communication and the lack of publication remind us the 80's

the future will tell us if you are true.

So show some patience
I have no more

and respect for those involved.
Authors did a great work until today. I don't know how they did with their jobs, family, etc... !

But OK, i apologize because it's not the forum to discuss about this subject

It seems to me that the rate of Glorantha material being produced at the moment is probably higher than it has ever been before.

I don't have stats or anything, but really, I feel like we're in a golden age of Glorantha, and I'd like to thank everyone involved.

Keith

My thoughts are less optimistic, but I know for sure there are some good books with new contents in the pipeline, and they will be out soon. Maybe in 2010 and not in 2009, but we'll see them.

Back