that big sword...

stormgod

Mongoose
I remember reading in one of the later lone wolf books about a really powerful sword you had to get to defeat a big bad ugy guy (not the summerswerd!). I think it was in some trip to a different dimension, and you probably could get it only if you didn't have the summerswerd. Does this ring a bell to anyone? What did it do? Its history?

It's the Ironheart Broadsword. If you don't have the Sommerswerd, you can find it in gamebook 11. It's very useful against the Chaos Master, granting a +8 CS bonus and wounding him badly before the fight begins. You have to return the broadsword to Lorkon Ironheart after you defeat the Chaos Master.

The battle against the Chaos Master in Book 11 was something of a pet peeve of mine (much like the battle against the Zhakhan in Book 9, which I'll rant about later :lol: ).

IIRC, about the best CS ratio Lone Wolf could have in the battle against the Chaos Master was a -4 (using the Sommerswerd), and that was only if he used Psi-Surge the whole time, taking 2 End/round. The Chaos Master also had 60+ End, while Lone Wolf - at best - had in the 40s.

I figure that out of 12+ or so times that I ran through that battle, Lone Wolf only survived - perhaps - 3 times total. And on at least one occassion, that was only because I'd memorized the Random Number table, and was lucky enough to drop the pencil on the right numbers (you pretty much had to get a 6 or higher every round to stand a decent chance).

Most of the time, I would skip Book 11 completely and just go from 10 to 12. Of course, I was playing the books such that if Lone Wolf died in any of them, it was all the way back to Book 1 for me... :shock:

The battle against Zakhan Kimah in Book 9 was completely unbalanced in Kimah's favor as well, if you went after him with the Sommerswerd. IIRC, the best CS ratio you could have was something like a -6, and he still had twice as many Endurance (especially since he blasts you with his Orb of Death before the combat as well! :shock: ) I always played it as such - I'd leave the Sommerswerd in "Safekeeping' that book - and picked it back up afterwards.

I didn't try that trick in Book 11 (the battle was much more in Lone Wolf's favor if you used the Ironheart Broadsword) 'cuz I figured if I did, Vonotar's buddies would hand Lone Wolf his posterior at the end of Book 11.... :D

Ah memories. Haven't played those books in years, and I still remember them like it was just yesterday... :wink:

I usually used a potion of Alether that is found in book 8 against the chaos master, brings the combat ratio down to -1 I believe. (Lone Wolf has Combat Skill 24+12 from Sommerswerd (counting +4 CS from Weaponmastery. +2 Shield and +2 Silver Helmet. Then I'm not sure. Don't you get +2 extra for having completed the Lore Circle of the Spirit in this combat? This would mean CS 46 with Psi-Surge... Is this really correct I need to check the book again.

Checked it again. You could actually get +1 in combat ratio with the potion of Alether found in book 8... This book became a lot easier, when I read that it's allowed to use the Sommerswerd also in paragraphs where it's not explicity mentioned... And book 9 became a lot easier when you actually can lose the Sommerswerd and then get it back in paragraph 350, all according to the AonProject and the Lone Wolf Club newsletters.

Smiling Fox said:
Checked it again. You could actually get +1 in combat ratio with the potion of Alether found in book 8... This book became a lot easier, when I read that it's allowed to use the Sommerswerd also in paragraphs where it's not explicity mentioned... And book 9 became a lot easier when you actually can lose the Sommerswerd and then get it back in paragraph 350, all according to the AonProject and the Lone Wolf Club newsletters.

I can see getting a +1 CS with the Alether Potion from an earlier book...problem was that for some reason I read into the 'transfer of stuff from one book Action Chart to another' that since the Rules specifically mentions migrating all item sections individually (Weapons, Special Items) EXCEPT Backpack Items, that Backpack Items didn't transfer between books.

Over time, I concluded this assumption makes some sense, considering in most of the books the events of each gamebook take place at least one year after the events of the previous book (except between Books 1 and 2). Most Backpack Items (Meals, Potions) presumably don't have shelf lifes that long..

I always lost the Sommerswerd during Book 9 and picked it up again before Book 10; there was no other way to complete the book otherwise... :shock:

Darklord Vashna said:
Yes, I always assumed that Backpack items didn't carry over from one book to the next. :(
That was sad! But that's alright because there are lots of items to be entered in the new book as well.

Funny how it all came down to the 2 fights (Chaos Master/Kimah) for the basis of picking skills. There was the +4CS Alether in Kalte too, if you miss out book 7 or put it in Safe Keeping before losing your Backpack in that book!

Back