Terror Checks

Surprised no one responded to this one. Let me re-phrase:

It seems that with experience, the affect of Terror should lessen. I know this is handled with increases in Will saves and the "Swooning" rule but is that enough. Since I have not ran high level campaigns in Conan yet, does this handle the Terror component pretty well?

My big concern is the well thought through and planned encounter at the climax of the adventure. All that work just to see everyone fleeing in Terror is concerning. It seems like it would be too difficult to tear the adventurers to shreds especially if they run in different directions:twisted: .

HLD

I let players use a fate point if they want to ensure a save against Terror. That usually keeps everyone from failing it - unless, of course, they all WANT to run away.

High Lord Dee said:
Surprised no one responded to this one. Let me re-phrase:

It seems that with experience, the affect of Terror should lessen. I know this is handled with increases in Will saves and the "Swooning" rule but is that enough. Since I have not ran high level campaigns in Conan yet, does this handle the Terror component pretty well?

My big concern is the well thought through and planned encounter at the climax of the adventure. All that work just to see everyone fleeing in Terror is concerning. It seems like it would be too difficult to tear the adventurers to shreds especially if they run in different directions:twisted: .

HLD

In my experience, even mid-level warrior-types often fail their Terror checks, even though the DC is quite low, because they have poor Will saves and low Wisdom (preferring to max out Strength and Constitution, of course...).

My current house rule is as follows:

A failed Terror check causes the character to be shaken (-2 to attacks, saves, skills, and ability checks) for 1 minute. In addition, the target is stunned by fear (drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a -2 penalty to DV, and loses his Dexterity bonus to DV) for 1 round (and probably uses part of the next round to pick up dropped items). A character of less than 3rd level will swoon with terror instead; he is unconscious and helpless for 2d6 minutes. A character that has lost 50% or more of his hit points suffers a -2 penalty to the saving throw.

Note that there may be certain situations where Terror checks can be ignored, such as a when one monster meets another (for example, if a grey ape encounters a risen dead, neither makes a Terror check), or when a group feels secure due to numbers (for example, if a mercenary company of 40 soldiers encounters one or two risen dead, they should not make Terror checks; however, if the same group encounters an army of risen dead, a single colossal flying creature, or perhaps a single "zombie" that turned out to be an ancient undead-king when he singlehandedly killed a dozen men with a mighty spell, Terror checks may be called for). But the average adventuring group, with a handful of members, should typically not be allowed to skip Terror checks even if they only encounter one monster at a time.

- thulsa

I have no problem with this. Even high level fighters should run in fear from a demon or monster if they havent been fighting them thier whole lives.

Also remember that simply witnessing a demon can cause Corruption Save even if a Terror save is auto-passed. It's still a deamon, after all.

Good point Sutek! And thulsa's post is similar to how I've handled terror checks in the last two adventures. Unfortunately, we haven't played Conan since late October, so my memory's being stretched here... :roll:

I think Fate Points aren't used that often in the Conan game, this is the kind of situation where you WANT to have one, as mentioned, to insure you pass your check (supposing you want to). I've had some players refuse to spend them, then be shaken!! And they were 5th level at the time.

My players have only had to make terror checks a couple of times so far; no problems yet. There were 2 barbarians in the group till recently, and that crimson mist really helps out.

Also remember, Conan didn't always stand and fight; when confronted with a Cthulhu-ish type creature, he knew full well that discretion is the better part of valor. Let them run and hear the screams of the npcs left behind.

Back