Telepathy ranges in Space combat

Silk

Mongoose
I posted this in the trial Shadow rules section, but its probably better here

I have a question about the use of jamming:

With each hex= 5,000 feet in the game (starship scale).

The new shadow rules it states jamming has a range of LOS, in the rules LOS is 100 feet or 200 with the far telepathy feat.

Under jamming it says a P10 can use the ability up to medium range, and a P12 can use the ability up to a range of long 400feet + 40feet per P-rating or 880feet for a P12.

This seems to imply that the teep must be on a ship in same hex as the shadow vessel to even attempt the ability(EEEK!!)

I dont recall any ranges being mentioned in the series with relation to the ranges teep abilities were used at, but it doesn't seem very playable currently.

I hope i have explained this accuratly, can anyone shed any light on my observations?

Thanks in advance..

Ooohhh... that sounds scary. I'll have to read those rules again... but if what you posted here is correct, I wouldn't want to try and jam a ShadowShip without one of those "Refined Telepathy Headgear" telepatic enhancers like Lyta donned when she went to activate the Shady Teeps on the EA fleet orbiting Mars in S-4... :wink:

Normally LOS means "visible in range", in this case LOS probably means the same thing as the true LOS reference to telepath LOS range in hyperspace (if you can see it, you can jam it).

Silk said:
I posted this in the trial Shadow rules section, but its probably better here

I have a question about the use of jamming:

With each hex= 5,000 feet in the game (starship scale)...

...I dont recall any ranges being mentioned in the series with relation to the ranges teep abilities were used at, but it doesn't seem very playable currently.

I hope i have explained this accuratly, can anyone shed any light on my observations?

Thanks in advance..
I have been saying this all along.

Even when it is not LOS, telepaths in the series have shown that Telepathy goes a lot farther than advertised. The rogues in downbelow sensed the bloodhounds when they came on board B5 over 2 miles away and not EVEN in sight. A Tragedy of Telepaths

The Minbari telepaths that helped out with the Lyta in Walkabout to test what effect a telepath has on a Shadow ship did not have LOS either.

JMS Speaks
Why not use Bester in the test?
"Because Bester is on Earth or Mars, can't just drop everything and come when beckoned, and it would take 3 days to get there, and they were in kind of a hurry to test this. Besides, P10s are very few and far between; they're more likely to have lower levels as their main weapons, so best to see what impact those will have."

From the Analysis on the same site. "Telepathic control over Shadow ships is tenuous at best, and may be limited to preventing them from attacking; the three ships being held by the Minbari telepaths were free to flee the scene when G'Kar and the others arrived."
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/062.html

Overall ranges need to change and DON'T use Jamming, rather use Pain for the Telepathic Ability. The ships looked like they were in Pain, so why not use it. Especially since even a P5 can do it which is the bulk of the telepaths.

That or lower the P-Rating of Jamming which also makes sense.
Bester "His name is Jason Ironheart. I believe you know him Ms. Winters."
"Yes, he was my instructor at the Psi Corps Training Academy."
Kelsey "His job is to work with telepaths level P5 through P10. High level training. Jamming, Long Range Scannning, the development of fringe skills, that sort of thing." Mindwar.

This makes clear that Jamming and Long Range Scanning are skills that a P5 can learn.

I am hoping in the second printing or maybe a Telepath book changes can be made that are in line with the series.

I must say that I do admire Mongoose for admitting that there are mistakes and are willing to address the issue.

There are so many gaming companies that will not even listen to their customers.

And they wonder why they don't get more sales :shock:

Back