Telepath Wars

EricRoss

Mongoose
I have heard a little bit about the Teep Wars and was wondering if there were any books about them and if so if someone could give me the Titles so I can order them. Thanks.

The telepath trilogy is as close as it gets I'm afraid, and that doesn't really cover the Telepath Crisis, just some of the fallout.

The Nautilus Coil short story that appeared in the B5 Magazine was set during the crisis, but again didn't cover much that much of what was going on. I don't think that has been reprinted.

I think beyond that it was only parts and pieces from the show that explained things namely that Lyta and the telepathic underground movement were on the 'mundanes' side. Lyta died in the conflict (was a bit surprising considering she was almost a vorlon superweapon so must assume she was taken by surprise, overwhelmed or simply allowed herself to die).

Plus in a way the Psi Corps got disbanded after the war but in a manner of speaking survived in Crusade. But no books though beyond whats been said by frobisher.

Ulkesh said:
I think beyond that it was only parts and pieces from the show that explained things namely that Lyta and the telepathic underground movement were on the 'mundanes' side.

The war was only actually between the Corps and the telepathic resistance (though with covert aid fom the likes of Garibaldi...) the mundane population were not directly involved. Think about it, if it were the Corps overtly trying to take over, do you really think that the freedoms of teeps would have been loosened as there were? The Crusade era set up is very much a reaction to how the Corps had treated teeps and trying to redress the various injustices.

Ulkesh said:
Lyta died in the conflict (was a bit surprising considering she was almost a vorlon superweapon so must assume she was taken by surprise, overwhelmed or simply allowed herself to die).

If you bear in mind that the rogue that Lt Matheson was left to "sleeper" in the flashback in "The Path of Sorrows" was originally written to be Lyta, you can probably assume that she went down in a very similar manner - she did describe herself as one of the very big bombs after all...

Although there is nothing about the actual war/crisis, there is some more info of the aftermath with Bester in the unfilmed Crusade script "Value Judegments". I can't remember how much of this is in the write ups in the Crusade book, but in the script there is a flash back to Besters trial.

However, the actual war has not been covered in any episodes or books. I think more details may have come to light if Crusade has carried on.

frobisher said:
If you bear in mind that the rogue that Lt Matheson was left to "sleeper" in the flashback in "The Path of Sorrows" was originally written to be Lyta, you can probably assume that she went down in a very similar manner - she did describe herself as one of the very big bombs after all...

I agree - that's how I imagined it too. I also seem to recall that in the original script for PoS, that Lenier was also there. However, I may be getting this mixed up with something else and I'm not sure if he died with Lyta or not. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

JMS confirmed that Lyta was supposed to be the rogue teep that Matheson was giving sleepers at the secret Psi-Corp base.

Was Lyta supposed to be in this episode?
Yeah, Lyta would've been in that ep but Pat was on a movie at the time.

Also, their discussions about Matheson changing his alliegence would have been longer if there was room in the ep.

Re: the Matheson scene...that one was cut back by about 40% because the episode ran long. (That sometimes happens on dialogue- intensive episodes.) The original version had it go over a longer period of time, and showed him coming over gradually. It is a bit abrupt as it is now, though I still think it plays.

I love The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5.

Kizarvexis

BTW, you can watch the first season of B5 online.

Kizarvexis said:
I love The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5.

Kizarvexis

BTW, you can watch the first season of B5 online.
The Lurker's Guide is simply awesome. I coul n't believe it the first time I found it.

Wow- season 1 for free. I mean I know I have it on DVD but this might be a great way to get new people into the show. You can direct them to watch certain great episodes for free, and hopefully get them hooked on the show!!
:D :D
Cheers

James

I tend to go with the theory in the Psi Corps book that the "Telepath Crisis" discussed in Crusade was not the "Telepath War". The script with Bester in the Crusade book implied that the Psi Corps still possessed many hidden resources and was simply biding it's time befor making another try for power. I tend to think of the "Telepath Crisis" as more of an internal struggle between the rogues and the Corps.
Assuming I get no contradictory hardcopy, and my campaign lasts that long, that is the way it will go in my game.

I know Bester, Lyta and Lennier died in the conflict.

I read somewhere that the war climaxed with the Psi-Corps base on Syria Planum being nuked - I would guess this was how the three characters died. I also believe that was the end of the Psi-Corps as their premier base had been destroyed.

EDIT: Yes, in 2264, according to the B5 2nd ed timeline, page 251.

Reborn said:

1 out of 3 ain't bad ;)

All we know is that Lennier is probably dead by the time of Sheriden's death and that's it.

Bester is very much alive in the Crusade era and dies as described above.

Lyta is dead by 2264, which we get from G'Kar's comments in Legends of the Rangers, and jms' comments indicate that this was in the telepath war (plus the stuff outlined above).

Reborn said:
I read somewhere that the war climaxed with the Psi-Corps base on Syria Planum being nuked - I would guess this was how the three characters died. I also believe that was the end of the Psi-Corps as their premier base had been destroyed.

The only one who could have died there is Lennier (though as outlined above, Lyta was meant to die there...). We see this incident in flashback in Crusade.

:oops:

Ah well... I just heard somewhere (I'm not sure where) that Lennier died in the Telepath War. I guess I just assumed Bester did as well.

Reborn said:

EDIT: Yes, in 2264, according to the B5 2nd ed timeline, page 251.

on a side note, whats the timeline in the 2nd ed rule book like?

frobisher said:
Reborn said:

1 out of 3 ain't bad ;)

All we know is that Lennier is probably dead by the time of Sheriden's death and that's it.

Bester is very much alive in the Crusade era and dies as described above.

Lyta is dead by 2264, which we get from G'Kar's comments in Legends of the Rangers, and jms' comments indicate that this was in the telepath war (plus the stuff outlined above).

Reborn said:

The only one who could have died there is Lennier (though as outlined above, Lyta was meant to die there...). We see this incident in flashback in Crusade.

Actually that flashback couldn't have been the destruction of the Syria Planum base because it didn't happen on Mars. As Mathison's shuttle is speeding up and away from the base you can see the landscape is clearly a habitable planet. Even with the Mars terraforming it does not have blue seas and tree covered landscape yet.

Back