Supplement 12: Dynasty

AndrewW

Emperor Mongoose
A complete guide on founding, growing and running your own world in Traveller, this book enables the creation of sociologically diverse solar systems or even empires. Covering a wide range of aspects involving governments, infrastructure, trade, military defences and even religion, it also allows the development of these unique polities over time; investments, conflicts and random events driving their growth - or indeed, possible collapse!

Whether you are a band of adventurers colonising or conquering their own planet, or seeking to play out a generational game of developing sector-wide dominions, Dynasty will add depth and colour to any Traveller campaign.

Scheduled for a May 2011 release.

Me, too. Somehow, the idea of a supplement on empire building appeals so much to me, hence my preference for Refereeing rather than playing. :D

Like the sound of this - an updated world builder's handbook.
Just need a pocket empires with less number crunchiness, and I'll be happy.

Cryton said:
Mithras said:
This is a definate buy for me. And 20 years overdue!!

LOL 20 years overdue? I'm willing to bet its a port over of Mark Millers T4 Pocket Empires rules.

I hope not. PE was very specifically written with the OTU in mind. Your dynasty was an Imperial Noble family; no real options for a Democracy (Federation) or other types of interstellar governments.

While PE might be a good place to start, I hope we get something more generic and usable outside of the 3I.

Quite frankly, I'm underwhelned by Dynasty. I don't see how it will add to a gaming group. Probably not a book I'd purchase. A book of adventure plots (yes, like Patrons, I see a need.)

Cryton said:
LOL 20 years overdue? I'm willing to bet its a port over of Mark Millers T4 Pocket Empires rules.

Perhaps you know something I've missed, but the paragraph description looks far more like Grand Census or the later cultural section of WBH than it does PE.

Now, admittedly, the title "Dynasty" does sound more like PE to me... but the description does not.

BenTOGS said:
I don't see how it will add to a gaming group.
It can give a group of characters a better reason for adventuring than
just trying to earn money by working for a string of patrons. :wink:

As a long time Storyteller of White Wolf's Vampire: the Requiem, I have much familiarity with the concept of dynastic bloodlines, some going back centuries or even millennia. I would enjoy looking at the Traveller take on the concept.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Cryton said:
Mithras said:
This is a definate buy for me. And 20 years overdue!!

I hope not. PE was very specifically written with the OTU in mind. Your dynasty was an Imperial Noble family; no real options for a Democracy (Federation) or other types of interstellar governments.

While PE might be a good place to start, I hope we get something more generic and usable outside of the 3I.

Actually, PE while written for use in the OTU had little to do with the 3I, save to mention that it was out there and was a possible starting location for your stake when starting your own empire. In no case were you ever playing an Imperial Noble Family, unless you were a dispossessed Imperial Noble, but this was just one of MANY options presented in the PE rules. Point of fact, the PE rules were made for running your own pocket empires OUTSIDE of the 3I, and specificity argued against using the PE rules for inside the 3I in any form, and it had many options for your government type (and your gov type choice influenced things heavily!). The PE rules also included dynastic information, and meta tasks for year long actions.

Its painfully obvious that you neither own PE, nor have you read it. Its one of the few bright spots in T4s entire line, and one of the few that dealt exclusively with running any form of game outside the 3I.

To quote the source:

"In Pocket Empires, however, you are given the unique opportunity
to play the ruler of an entire empire: whether founded by an Imperial
family that has turned their back on Cleon and set off into the Gashda,
or a long-established empire from before the Long Night, which must
now deal with its near-inevitable absorption into the Imperium."
(Pocket Empires, Introduction)

"Wherever a Pocket Empire is located, Cleon's ever expanding wave
of scouts will eventually arrive at its borders."
(Pocket Empires, page 78 )

It was quite possible to play (more or less renegade) members of an Im-
perial noble family, and while the pocket empire created by the charac-
ters was not within the Imperium, the Imperium was never far away -
dealing with it was an integral part of the setting.

While Pocket Empires could be used for another setting than the "official"
Traveller universe, it was obviously written for this setting, and required
a number of changes to make it truly generic, in the sense that it could
just as well be used for other settings.

Cryton said:
Actually, PE while written for use in the OTU had little to do with the 3I, save to mention that it was out there and was a possible starting location for your stake when starting your own empire. In no case were you ever playing an Imperial Noble Family, unless you were a dispossessed Imperial Noble, but this was just one of MANY options presented in the PE rules. Point of fact, the PE rules were made for running your own pocket empires OUTSIDE of the 3I, and specificity argued against using the PE rules for inside the 3I in any form, and it had many options for your government type (and your gov type choice influenced things heavily!). The PE rules also included dynastic information, and meta tasks for year long actions.

Its painfully obvious that you neither own PE, nor have you read it. Its one of the few bright spots in T4s entire line, and one of the few that dealt exclusively with running any form of game outside the 3I.

I DO own PE and I have read it cover to cover - TWICE.

Obviously your take on the book is different than mine. As you can see from Rust's post just above, even the quotes from the book assumed that you would eventually interact with the expanding 3I.

Also, I read the rules THE SECOND TIME specifically trying to create a Confederation of planets. I COULDN'T DO IT. The rules just don't have enough detail on successions in a non-feudal setting. Try setting up a world with a Democracy and 3 parties. You can't track it properly as power shifts between the parties, it all has to be done by hand, forcing the rules. THAT is what I was saying; if it wasn't feudal, the rules were not as well designed.

From appearances, this product has disappeared from the release schedule, unless I'm overlooking something...

Oh, please, no - not again ... :shock:

We have already planned to use it for our next science fiction campaign,
and this would completely ruin our plans ... :cry:

Back