Suitability with D20 Stormbringer

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Though there are some adaptation rules between OGL and 3.5 D20 systems I would like to know if anyone could adapt the D20 Dragonlords of Melniboné to Conan OGL, especially for the summoning of demons (with the summoner choosing the abilities of the invocated demon and the cost in experience points that occurred).

I don't know anything about stormbringer or that Melnibone D&D variant, but dropping Elric into Hyboria sounds cool. It was done in a really old Marvel comic, Elric and Conan buddied up. 8)

The King said:
Though there are some adaptation rules between OGL and 3.5 D20 systems I would like to know if anyone could adapt the D20 Dragonlords of Melniboné to Conan OGL, especially for the summoning of demons (with the summoner choosing the abilities of the invocated demon and the cost in experience points that occurred).

This is one of those "I'll get around to it someday" projects. I was thinking of making it a separate sorcery style. All it really needs is an XP/Power point conversion (instead of 1000 xp for this ability, it cost 10 PP, frex). I was also going to up the DC for Corruption saves based on what abilities the summoned demon gets.

I have a player who wants to play a sorcerer soon. Maybe I'll make him do it.

Lowly Uhlan said:
I don't know anything about stormbringer or that Melnibone D&D variant, but dropping Elric into Hyboria sounds cool. It was done in a really old Marvel comic, Elric and Conan buddied up. 8)
I read in an introduction to the Stormbringer series that Moorcock was commissioned to write a pastiche on Conan but he finally decided to create a new personnage, a kind of opposite, and Elric of Melniboné was born. However both heroes fit well together as the Young Kingsdoms and the Hyborian World only consist of humans. Moreover the magic is very similar (no fireball, but subtil sorcery and summoning) ; and then the Clakar from Moorcock is reminiscent of the creature that killed Bêlit.

UncleBear said:
This is one of those "I'll get around to it someday" projects. I was thinking of making it a separate sorcery style. All it really needs is an XP/Power point conversion (instead of 1000 xp for this ability, it cost 10 PP, frex). I was also going to up the DC for Corruption saves based on what abilities the summoned demon gets.

I have a player who wants to play a sorcerer soon. Maybe I'll make him do it.
Good idea; the whole thing is to keep the game balanced (that's the most difficult task).

Dragging this back from the dead... Does anyone care to comment on the following rumour?
Ian said:
Mongoose ... tried to purchase the license for the Elric RPG from Chaosium (which Chaosium has repeatedly said they will sell if the offer is right) only to change their mind when Chaosium would agree to sell everything but the Elric/Stormbringer stuff - i.e. Mongoose rightfully did not want to have access to only Hawkmoon, Corum, and Erekosë.

(from the Chaosium Notes thread on multiverse.org)
Ciao,
Ant

I wonder if this happened before or after the decision to make Conan.

Personally I really like the Stormbringer BRP system, it's nice to have an alternative to D20. As for rumours what about the one I've heard where Mongoose are developing their own RPG system to replace their use of D20?

The King said:
However both heroes fit well together as the Young Kingsdoms and the Hyborian World only consist of humans.

Well the Melniboné and the Myrrhyn are races that while close and humanoid are definitely not human. The BRP Stormbringer gave rules for them as PC races, no idea if the D20 version did or didn't.

As a personal opinion Elric also seems a bit more "high fantasy" than Conan. The Gods are real and meddle in the world, Conan seems to have a more Lovecraftian view where the existence of the Gods is questionable and they seem to have no real concern with the world.

I also think that Elric can be a touch LOTR at times with quests for mythical artefacts and the hero having the chance to really change the world and take on the Gods rather than just fighting the inevitable tide of barbarism as in Conan.

Oly said:
The King said:
However both heroes fit well together as the Young Kingsdoms and the Hyborian World only consist of humans.

Well the Melniboné and the Myrrhyn are races that while close and humanoid are definitely not human. The BRP Stormbringer gave rules for them as PC races, no idea if the D20 version did or didn't.
Yes, the Stormbringer d20 version includes these races.
The Hyborian world also has its non human races: the giant kings at least and if you read the essay "Hyborian Age", you'll see there are many more at the beginning.
This is especially the case in the age of Kull with the serpent men and another elder non human race in the east which may or may not have survived in the time of Conan.

Ant said:
Dragging this back from the dead... Does anyone care to comment on the following rumour?
Ian said:
Mongoose ... tried to purchase the license for the Elric RPG from Chaosium (which Chaosium has repeatedly said they will sell if the offer is right) only to change their mind when Chaosium would agree to sell everything but the Elric/Stormbringer stuff - i.e. Mongoose rightfully did not want to have access to only Hawkmoon, Corum, and Erekosë.

(from a thread on multiverse.org)
Ciao,
Ant
well Chasium had for years financial difficulties and it is an act of great feat that they still survive. Now all there debts are paid and it is well possible that they wish to come back and developp Stormbringer again. Thus their decision to keep the licence.
This is no official statement.

The King said:
well Chasium had for years financial difficulties and it is an act of great feat that they still survive. Now all there debts are paid and it is well possible that they wish to come back and developp Stormbringer again. Thus their decision to keep the licence. This is no official statement.

Well there's been new efforts to make an Elric movie that started off about a year or so ago. If that happens that side of the eternal champion license could potentially be of great worth.

Met Mr. Moorcock when he was here for Dragon*Con in 1994 with the release of "Tales of the White Wolf" by White Wolf Game Studio. I got all my Novels/ELRIC/Stormbringer BRP stuff autographed by him then and he even gave me a autographed book that was only released in the UK. :)

I think they could certainly mingle, the Dragon Lords d20 book is not as superior as the Stormbringer (I got the 4th and 5th editions and the ELRIC! book too).

A matter of power level and balance of course. Anyone else tried this yet? Being a huge Elric fan myself, I probably would allow it in my game eventually.

Ant said:
(SNIP)

Yes: it is a rumour. Which means it is worth exactly what the paper it is printed on is worth...

Cheers,

NDM

Back