Stories Good and Bad

A

Anonymous

I finished the book yesterday and I must say I was quite happy with it. The stories do vary in quality a great deal, however. Some are really not that good. What surprised me most, however, was the racist language. It is quite harsh at times - in 'The Vale of Lost Women' particularly. I realize these stories were written in a different time, and what might have seemed neutral at the time of their writing now seems quite nasty. There is also a lot of sexism as well, but it is tempered by the inclusion of women of strength and character.

It is worth noting that much of the racism / sexism is present in the voice of the omniscient narrator, and not just in the dialogue of the characters.

I come from a background of literary criticism so I might be a bit more conscious of these things than other readers, but my wife - who is not a critical reader - shared my observations.

Ugggh. The above comment should have been in the 'A New Purchase' threat. It refers to the book 'The Coming of Conan', and not the RPG book. I apologize for any confusion, and would appreciate if a moderator would delete this topic to avoid any further confusion.

Back