Starship Troopers v2, War of the Species

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

By now you would have heard about our cessation of miniatures production for the foreseeable future. This is a bitter pill for SST, as the causes of it have nothing to do with this game, and a lot of people have put a lot of work into its relaunch.

However, it need not be the end of everything.

As you may be aware, the writing of the new SST rules is pretty much complete, and playtesting is already well underway. We have talked about releasing the latest generation of Battlefield Evolution rules (the core of which World at War, Modern Combat and SST all share) as a free Open Content SRD.

So, a bright spark in our office piped up 'well, if the rules are being made freely available, why not the new SST army lists and advanced rules as well?'

It is a good question.

We will therefore effectively make the army lists and SST-specific rules a free download, either as a separate PDF download, or part of S&P. We have a few things to sort out in the immediate future, but we will have a date for this very soon.

Thanks Matt, that's a great gesture and I look forward to seeing, reading and playing the new rules. I guess this has been a very difficult decision for you guys, and best of luck for the future of Mongoose, I hope it works out for the best in the long run.

Are you still keeping the license?

Bubba Ho-Tep said:
So what happens to all the new models that you already have, but have not yet released?

Guess that if they don't have stock of them already cast then they won't be seeing light until Mongoose comes back to miniature production :(

So personally I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them even if short period where you could order those flyers would be nice to have.

Anther good question is, will the remaining stock of SST miniatures that were going to be repackaged, will those miniatures be available to purchase?

A nice gesture for the last few SST diehards, to be sure. Maybe one or two will even appreciate it.

I do and don't

Do: It is free...

Don't: They don't think they can even make a profit by selling us a single rule book :(

Well, think about it Gauntlet.... The miniatures got mothballed (pending what, I don't know), and given the reaction of the fans and other folks, would you try to sell them a rule book?

I look forward to the book itself, and am willing to buy a print copy if it's ever offered.

1. Is a 3rd party mini producer/sub-licensee an option?

2. Are images/tokens going to be developed for the new units for which there are currently no minis?

Gauntlet- said:
Don't: They don't think they can even make a profit by selling us a single rule book :(

I wouldn't be that sure. Just because something is available for free doesn't mean they couldn't sell it in printed form. Especially as one of the advantages they mentioned when they installed own printing facility was viability of smaller runs as needed so I don't see why they couldn't make printed copies of SST rulebook if there's need...

I know I prefer printed copy over PDF files so have bought printed books even if same text has been available as PDF(Epic Armageddon for example) and can see doing same with SST.

So here's hoping that they will eventually put SST rulebook on sale as well.

Paint me bemussed.

Free rules are always good, but if there are no models to use with the rules the only way I can see this being useful is to use the rules for other miniatures... which means putting more money into other companies pocket. So Mongoose lose money in the long run.

I'll still use them.

Hiromoon said:
Well, think about it Gauntlet.... The miniatures got mothballed (pending what, I don't know), and given the reaction of the fans and other folks, would you try to sell them a rule book?

I look forward to the book itself, and am willing to buy a print copy if it's ever offered.

I would absolutely love to buy a book... but I don't think they are making one if they are giving it away via PDF... They could theoretically do both and I'd be pretty happy... there is still loads of stock out there for models and most things can be converted...

But there has been no mention of a book.

OH there is a mersifle GOD!

But if its to much to ask, let mongoose continue mini production, or let another company do it! but not GW.

lt.harper said:
OH there is a mersifle GOD!

But if its to much to ask, let mongoose continue mini production, or let another company do it! but not GW.

Not to be mean, but GW has a pretty good track record as far as minis are concerned, at least. Their rulesets may not be the best, but they make damn fine minis.

That being said, I was hoping to get into SSTv2 so this is good news to me. I'll just have to Ebay stuff or wait for '09, I guess.

:(

Good luck, Mongoose. I hope this works out, I really do. Poor ACTA players.

Hiro-

From my point of view anything 'before' this announcement sounds null and void to me. Otherwise I would expect my new tanker to be previewed soon.

Back