Starship Troopers Evolution

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
There has been a lot of speculation about the future of the Starship Troopers miniatures game. I am happy to report that we can now let you in on what we have been planning!

Throughout the life of Starship Troopers, there have been some things that we have been very, very proud of. The design of the Exosuits, for example, and the sheer presence of the Plasma Bug. We have also been very pleased with the core rules, which have proved remarkably versatile as well as providing players with an immersive experience.

There have also been some things that we have not been too happy with. The Skinnies, for example, have an incoherent overall feel, which is not what we intended for that army, and there are individual models that were simply not good enough for the modern market.

So, we felt it was time for a slight change in direction. There are a great many fans of the Starship Troopers game, and we believed we had a duty to them to produce the very best in miniatures gaming.

If you are a regular visitor to our forums, you may have seen comments regarding a new wave of technologies in the production of miniatures. This was always part of our long-term planning, but as we moved towards the production of the Essential Updates 2007 book (which was to include new units, revised cover rules and the Rebel Colony army list, among many other things), it became apparent that we could also move forward with the changes in the miniatures themselves. This timing meant that these two projects could be combined into something little short of fantastic. . .

STARSHIP TROOPERS IN 2006
For the rest of this year, we are not going to be producing any substantial releases for the Starship Troopers miniatures game. Existing models will continue to be produced, and we will be making available much of the new information that was to appear in Essential Updates 2007, freely, within Signs & Portents. This will include many things, from small rules tweaks to entire new army lists.

AND IN 2007. . .
In January next year, we will be releasing a new miniatures game called Battlefield Evolution. Set 5-10 years from the present time, you will be able to command real-world units of soldiers and vehicles in pitched battle, using the very latest in weapons technology. There will be four armies from the very start, and the game will use a modified version of the existing Starship Troopers rules. We have been playtesting these rules for some time now, and they are very slick in function – the term bullet-proof has been used to describe them.

What will make Battlefield Evolution different from other miniatures games that are on sale now is that the models will not simply be pre-painted. They will be pre-painted to a level better than 90% of gamers can produce themselves – and that is no idle boast, as you can see from these pictures.

evopre1.jpg

These two tanks, the Challenger 2 and the Abrams M1A2 are pre-production designs (the finals will be far, far more detailed), but the paintwork is to the standard you will be able to expect. Over the next few weeks, we will be previewing the final designs of the first armoured vehicles in the range, along with the infantry that march alongside them.

Added to this, we are aiming to price these extremely well-produced models for no more than the equivalent unpainted metal miniatures prices. I’ll rephrase that – what you pay for unpainted metal miniatures today will buy you expert-level pre-painted miniatures early next year.

STARSHIP TROOPERS EVOLUTION
We will be making more announcements with regards to Battlefield Evolution very soon. However, fans of Starship Troopers will be wondering where we are going for their game.

With a release date set for April next year, we will be releasing eight box sets for Starship Troopers – the Mobile Infantry Light Armour Squad, the Mobile Infantry Grizzly Exosuit Squad, Arachnid Warrior Bug Swarm (we are aiming to squeeze 12 bugs in this!), Tanker Bug, Skinnie Raiders, Skinnie Soldiers, Forth Fenos Fighting Machines and Forth Fenirs Command Fighting Machines.

Some models, those that we believe are of exemplary quality in design, are being used as the prototypes for the new range – these are the ones we can preview here, the Exosuits, Light Armour MI and Warrior Bugs. All others in the list above are in the process of being redesigned.

A funny story here. The factory producing these models played a little trick on us. The first batch of Warrior Bugs that came back to us included three models – two they had produced, and the original they had worked on, painted by our expert in-house painter, Adrian Walters.

We could not tell the difference. In fact, not even Adrian could tell the difference between his work and theirs!

evopre2.jpg

evopre3.jpg

evopre4.jpg

evopre5.jpg

evopre6.jpg

evopre7.jpg

Note: This is not a collectible game! Every box set will be labelled with it’s contents, and will feature a plastic window so you can see exactly what you are getting! In addition to this, the type of plastic used will be of wargaming quality – don’t expect to see guns that bend or models that feel like a child’s toy.

Each box set will contain a streamlined version of the rules, allowing people to start playing the moment they pick up the models – and this will not be a watered down ‘pint-size’ game, but one you can run serious tournaments with. The full-size rulebook, priced at $24.95 and available 2-3 months after the first box sets, will not contain radically different rules, but rather lean more towards new options and methods of play – for those who want the full Starship Troopers experience!

After the first eight box sets have been released, we will produce one box set every month thereafter for each army, meaning you will never have to wait long for something new and interesting to come along for your force. The models themselves will be based on existing designs where we feel we have excelled ourselves (such as with the Exosuits) and will be changed where we feel we can do a lot better, such as with some of the Skinnies.

So, why should you feel this is a good thing?

* With the instant accessibility to the game, due to both the rules and the high standard of pre-painted models, you will suddenly find you have a lot more opponents in your area.
* Four armies from the very start will ensure your local gaming club has enough choice for every gamer, and the release of a new unit every month thereafter will keep your opponents guessing! New armies (such as the dreaded Coven) will start appearing towards the end of 2007.
* Your comments on the existing rules have been collated and refined into an extremely slick set of mechanics that will provide everything you have been looking for with no ambiguity.
* All the Starship Troopers models you have in your collection thus far, without exception, will be fully compatible with the new wave of releases and, in many cases, veterans will have access to units far earlier than newcomers. The new models will be to the same scale as the existing models which mean you can add more units to your forces and have them fit in perfectly.
* As far as the rules are concerned, if you wish to stick with the existing rulebook rather than buy another, we will support you, releasing the relevant information on new units and armies for no cost. At all.
* That said, the new rules will be posted on our web site for free download, allowing you to review them before making an informed decision about which you will use. We hope you will join us with the new wave, but we will not force you.
* Roughly 90% of you will have access to great looking models at a price that has not been possible up to now. These will be models that you would be proud to have on display on your shelf.
* The remaining 10% will have the option of either adding further detail and highlights to the models, or simply repainting them entirely – the price of each set means you are not losing out by paying for the painting process.
* The existing models will still be available to you via your local hobby store or by mail order. While we expect the demand for these to drop away once people see the new models available, stores and distributors will always be able to stock any of the existing Starship Troopers miniatures for those of you who want to buy the traditional metal and plastic figures.
* The design process for these models has been well and truly hammered out, meaning there is no barrier to the release of certain models that have, up to now, encountered certain difficulties. When you see, for example, the TAC Fighter, Skyhook and Sprite Skimmer Bikes on the release schedule, you can be sure that will be the month they appear in the shops.
* If you really fancy a very strange game, Starship Troopers will be fully compatible with Battlefield Evolution so yes, your US Marines could find themselves facing a horde of Warrior Bugs – though we do not recommend it for the sane!

In short, we can sum up 2007 for Starship Troopers as;

Better game. Better models. Same great system.

So, let the questions and queries (and a few howls, no doubt - we can put your minds at ease!) commence. We are very, very proud of this range and believe it is, by far, the best thing we have ever done. In terms of man hours, we have put more into this game than anything else we have done, and are playing games of it nearly everyday in the office.

It is going to be a good 'un. . .

WE WANNA KNOW WE WANNA KNO......What, oh yes I see, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice Stuff

the only bad thing I can see is my killer skinnies army will have to wait for their marauder..... :cry:

You said the Skinnies are getting an overhaul Matt? I just bought the prototype raiders off e bay and personally, I think that style gun was better and would love to see it return.

Which are the four nations in Battlefield Evolution?

Extremely interesting, and you are to be admired for your honesty Mr Sprange, and for your continued determination to improve yourselves at every opportunity. Well done :)

Just one question from me: will there be alternate paint schemes for the same models (SST and Battlefield Evo)? How easy will it be to paint over the factory colours and will you be doing unpainted versions? (ok, 3, but hey, you asked for them :))

This is exactly what I hoped for! Pre-painted models you can paint over easily if you want. But those pre-paints look great if that's them!

Its a LEAP forward in my opinion. Take two types of hobbyists and blend them together. Fantastic! Now many more people will play with the pre-paints, and the hardcore hobbyists (all of us) will paint thier own, so new paint schemes will really pop out at you when you see them.

And the new rules will be downloadable on the site? Thank you Mongoose!

You've proven yourself worthy for citizenship. Congratulations.

emperorpenguin said:
You said the Skinnies are getting an overhaul Matt? I just bought the prototype raiders off e bay and personally, I think that style gun was better and would love to see it return.

Which are the four nations in Battlefield Evolution?

The Raiders will be far closer to what you see on the cover of the Army Book, and the rest of the army will be a much closer match.

As for Battlefield Evolution, we will be kicking off with the US Marine Corps, the European Federation Task Force, the Middle Eastern Alliance and the Chinese PLA. That said, our playtesters have already been asking for the IDF, African Warlords, US Army and many more, so the whole world might be fighting in a very short space of time!

msprange said:
As for Battlefield Evolution, we will be kicking off with the US Marine Corps, the European Federation Task Force, the Middle Eastern Alliance and the Chinese PLA. That said, our playtesters have already been asking for the IDF, African Warlords, US Army and many more, so the whole world might be fighting in a very short space of time!

excellent. as long as I get to use the Legion Etrangere and Royal Marines I'm happy!

Industrial Lurker said:
Just one question from me: will there be alternate paint schemes for the same models (SST and Battlefield Evo)? How easy will it be to paint over the factory colours and will you be doing unpainted versions? (ok, 3, but hey, you asked for them :))

Alternate paint schemes will be very easy for us to do - it is just a case of how much demand there is for them. As for painting them yourself, well, we think it would be a real shame (!) but yes, you should not have any problems.

So the paint quality is that of all the pics in your post Matt? and as someone metioned earlier how easy witll it be to overpaint, can we toch up what is there with say Vellajo or GW paints or will we need to reprime before painting?

Last one, is the a guaranteed time the existing model range will be available for?

I have played the rules rather vigorously, and (not that it matters) they get a big big stamp of approval from me :) (a big big stamp).

Those models are incredible.

Reborn said:
I have played the rules rather vigorously, and (not that it matters) they get a big big stamp of approval from me :) (a big big stamp).

Those models are incredible.

like a Hong Kong stamp? those things are frickin' huge!

Okay i have one more then I will sit back and let everybody else come up with the rest.

I am guessing in the 1 per month releases we will probably see, Cap Troopers, Marauders, weapons assests?????.

I must also say having read through the post a couple of times you have put some planning into this and like it or not I think it is a step in the right direction for mongoose, not sure if all agree though.

knuckles said:
So the paint quality is that of all the pics in your post Matt? and as someone metioned earlier how easy witll it be to overpaint, can we toch up what is there with say Vellajo or GW paints or will we need to reprime before painting?

Last one, is the a guaranteed time the existing model range will be available for?

Yes, you are looking at the final paint quality - this is something we have worked very hard to achieve, principally because we saw the pre-painted samples from A N Other company. When they turned out to _not_ be the production quality, we were left holding these wicked creations in our hands :)

We are aiming for January for Battlefield Evolution, though some countries may not see them until early February. Starship Troopers Evolution is set for April.

Back