STALINGRAD!!!!

Who would support?buy a WW2 games based off of SST

• Yes Commrad! I Will join you will driveing the facist from the mother land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are to many! I give up and will not support the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Make no mistake...I would love to see a miniatures game on Stalingrad, and all of WWII as well, based on this rules set. I'm a huge WWII "fan" and the Eastern front is one of my major areas of interest.

That's probably something I sould have included in my rant, hehe... I also really like ww2, and the eastern front is very interesting (even if the pacific and north african theateres are my fav's)...

I just recon the time and effort could be better spent elsewere

While I think of it, worth noting there are already quite a few high quality Stalingrad figs available in 28mm, and great scenery.

I'm not sure if any rules have achieved wide acceptance, but thre are certainly some out there. FoW has a Stalingrad supplement which I'm sure could be and probably is sometimes adapted to 28mm.

So Mongoose would have to come up with something pretty hot to have a compelling reason to buy it.

They are THE SST people. They would only be one of the Stalingrad people. Just my 2 Galactic Groats.

I voted no for the game as I think that, as has been said before, it may detract from the concentration of staff, resources and efffort that is allocated to SST at the present time. As has also been said, SST has an absolute universe load of material that can be exploited for the fun of all and that needs to be concentrated on in my opinion.

As for my personal opinion of the genre, well I love the history of WWII and all the battles fought and unit citations gained etc however, for some reason that I have never been able to put my finger on, I just can't get interested in the gaming side of WWII.

awesomeshotdude said:
I voted no for the game as I think that, as has been said before, it may detract from the concentration of staff, resources and efffort that is allocated to SST at the present time. As has also been said, SST has an absolute universe load of material that can be exploited for the fun of all and that needs to be concentrated on in my opinion.

As for my personal opinion of the genre, well I love the history of WWII and all the battles fought and unit citations gained etc however, for some reason that I have never been able to put my finger on, I just can't get interested in the gaming side of WWII.

ASD: I think I can (maybe) put my finger on it for you: so much of WWII history concentrates on the Yanks/Brits/Russkies vs. the Huns/Japs. Ask anyman in either Europe or the US and I'm sure they'll think that WWII was fought by Britain, the US, Russia, Germany, and Japan...if they even have heard of WWII.

"Colonial" troops, and their accomplishments have been neglected to say the least, and I think that's a crime. Monty (sorry, but I have to rant now) seemed to prefer to sacrifice "colonial" troops first. I rank Monty with MacArthur: a self-absorbed, grand-standing prima donna (and I'm not supposed to talk about fellow West Pointers like that).

And let's not forget Vietnam: I've told vets here that there was a significant Australian presence in Vietnam, and some look at me like I'm on crack.

I never had the opportunity to work with the Australian Army, but I can tell you that I know I definitely missed out. Its reputation is well known in circles that matter!

If I can ever make it to Australia, you and I are definitley gonna have a throw-down!!! Hoo-Ahh!

Btw...I'm glad Australia decided to abandon that crap they call beer in Pommy land and brew palatable beverages! :lol:

No offense to any of you guys in the UK: I'm sorry, but your beer tastes like sh*t...unless it's an IPA.

Regards.

P.S. Is "Scapegoats of Empire" still published in Australia? I can't find a copy anywhere here in the uS.

Scipio,

Yeah you could be right there. Whenever playing something historical or even semi historical its harder to enjoy playing the troops that you don't really relate too much to. I know that they do have some Australian Troops for some games but never the wide variety that other more well known countries have. This is understandable I guess as we are a small population compared to alot of other countries and therefore have a smaller population to support and draw on for military forces therefore our contribution to others and their needs would seem small and insignificant on paper and to the majority of observors....this has been changing in the last decade or so though. We're alot more active on the world scene, particularly certain units.

In recent times (60's - late 80's or early 90's) our defence white papers have dictated that our forces be geared more towards defending our country directly and operating in our region, which is sometimes different to other countries who are positioned differently in the world whether through actual location, interests or both.

Anyway you are probably right about the reason why I don't really enjoy WWII era gaming that much.

Yeah if you ever head on down this way let me know and we can catch up for some fun. I'm not sure if that book is still sold here. I have never actually heard of it, I'll have a look around over the next couple of days on some good book shop sites I know here and PM you with the results.

ScipioAmericanus said:
awesomeshotdude said:

ASD: I think I can (maybe) put my finger on it for you: so much of WWII history concentrates on the Yanks/Brits/Russkies vs. the Huns/Japs. Ask anyman in either Europe or the US and I'm sure they'll think that WWII was fought by Britain, the US, Russia, Germany, and Japan...if they even have heard of WWII.

"Colonial" troops, and their accomplishments have been neglected to say the least, and I think that's a crime. Monty (sorry, but I have to rant now) seemed to prefer to sacrifice "colonial" troops first. I rank Monty with MacArthur: a self-absorbed, grand-standing prima donna (and I'm not supposed to talk about fellow West Pointers like that).

And let's not forget Vietnam: I've told vets here that there was a significant Australian presence in Vietnam, and some look at me like I'm on crack.

I never had the opportunity to work with the Australian Army, but I can tell you that I know I definitely missed out. Its reputation is well known in circles that matter!

If I can ever make it to Australia, you and I are definitley gonna have a throw-down!!! Hoo-Ahh!

Btw...I'm glad Australia decided to abandon that crap they call beer in Pommy land and brew palatable beverages! :lol:

No offense to any of you guys in the UK: I'm sorry, but your beer tastes like sh*t...unless it's an IPA.

Regards.

P.S. Is "Scapegoats of Empire" still published in Australia? I can't find a copy anywhere here in the uS.

you wanna chill and flex gezzar, :shock:

I'm on the fence about this one. On the one hand it would be good to see a decent WWII game but not at the expence of SST.
Having said that I expect that it'd be dealt with seperately and it's not like we're going to see SST production fall because of it.
On the whole I'm indifferent.

anton970: Obviously haven't tryed Newcastle Brown then? :)

hehe, come on... US beer is pretty much as bad as UK beer... trust me I live in ireland now, in between the two....

IF I ever meet the guys who brew Budwieser I will kill them.... that drink is a crime against humanity!!!!

logan said:

hehe, come on... US beer is pretty much as bad as UK beer... trust me I live in ireland now, in between the two....

IF I ever meet the guys who brew Budwieser I will kill them.... that drink is a crime against humanity!!!!

WHAT! I think Bass pale ale is mighty fine!

logan said:

Agreed. The crap designed for mass market consumption is...well...crap.

Budweiser? *pukes* A "crime against humanity?" Definitely. St. Louis should be nuked.

Star is good, Sierra's IPA is way tasty! We have some good micro-breweries here. Oh...I like Newcastle too.

There is a general rule that no one country can produce truly good wine AND truly good beer.

Of course some countries can do neither (naming no names) :lol:

LBH
Wished he had a Duvel or a Chimay to hand

Oh feel free....any american who cant accept that both our wine and beers suck, is really living in denial...

Germany is probably the only country that's anal-retentive enough to literally have governmental standards on grains used in their beer. At least American beer is better than Canadian beer.

It stems from Medieval times, when water wasn't healthy for you to drink. You really had a few choices:

-Wine
-Mead
-Beer
-Radon hard liqour

Hiromoon said:
It stems from Medieval times, when water wasn't healthy for you to drink. You really had a few choices:

-Wine
-Mead
-Beer
-Radon hard liqour

water didnt last long on ships, as it became salty and undrinkable, while beer and aboved mention lasted the entire voyage as drinkable , the alchol content wasnt hight but it wasnt designed to get drunk on , it had its purpose.

Mr Evil said:
Hiromoon said:

-Wine
-Mead
-Beer
-Radon hard liqour

water didnt last long on ships, as it became salty and undrinkable, while beer and aboved mention lasted the entire voyage as drinkable , the alchol content wasnt hight but it wasnt designed to get drunk it had its purpose.

True, but concider this, the children's beer in the Medieval period was far more alchoholic than modern beers.

no it wasnt, we used to brew bear as kids, and we kept the alchol content low for costs, also fermenting times can be reduced for faster production, we tend to have stronger general bears now than the drinking bear of old, but there ale houses did have many beverages alot more alcholic, and they used to mix neat alchol with other hops drinks. last think a sea captain whanted was drunk pirates on his boat, infact being drunk on a ship evan a pirate ship had severe penalties, you should read up on the pirate laws, they where profesional sea men, as much as any navy of the time.

Mr Evil said:
no it wasnt, we used to brew bear as kids, and we kept the alchol content low for costs, also fermenting times can be reduced for faster production, we tend to have stronger general bears now than the drinking bear of old, but there ale houses did have many beverages alot more alcholic, and they used to mix neat alchol with other hops drinks. last think a sea captain whanted was drunk pirates on his boat, infact being drunk on a ship evan a pirate ship had severe penalties, you should read up on the pirate laws, they where profesional sea men, as much as any navy of the time.

I'm talking the medieval period, not the late rennisance - early industial period (i think it was called colonial). Now, there were pirates, but they were called vikings (and possibly some saxons in there too).

Back