SST:WOTS release date

Why not make an option for both parties, those who already have a mass amount of minis, and the new ones to the game. Kepp the box set for the new guys, and just amke the rulebooks and the like available for the old farts.

I don't know about a starter kit per faction... maybe a boxed starter army like GW does, but more than one starter box? That dosn't seem very financially viable...

I really like there being astarter box and having book being able to be bought on its own, my only request is that if the book is sold on its own (which it should be!) please don't make it availble only in hardback that way. Hardback gaming books can get REALLY pricey and if I'm going to be shilling out 30$ for a rule book might as well double that and get lots of models and dice with it.

I third the calls for a box set!

A Rippler, Warrior Bug vs PAMI box set would sell pretty damn well, and the cost would be negligable for the company. Hell throw in some Blaster bugs too, just to get rid of them if nothing else :D

Being realistic for a moment here, how many SST players ended up having to field two armies JUST to get the odd game in? I'd say at least 80% of us. Thats why a two player starter set is essential.
One player starter sets aren't gonna get much use at all....
Plus you can never have enough bugs :D

MaxSteiner said:
I'm sure when all this evo business started originally we were given an August launch.
As August approached this was shifted to Christmas.
Christmas becomes new year, new year becomes August and the cycle starts again. Finally evo gets pulled in favour of this...

Best we can hope for is War of the Species gets released at some point :D

As I recall the original plan for SST: Evo was to be released in late spring-early summer'07, about 3 months after the originally planned date for BFEvo

Paladin said:
Needs to be a starter kit per faction.

I agree. Use the GW model, maybe? Something inexpensive to get into the faction. No bugs for people who want to play MI, and no MI for bug players.

Sell individual faction starters, and include the rules on CD, perhaps?

Then sell the print rulebook separate.

I really hope the rulebook is seperate, as I have enough LAMI and PAMI to last me till doomsday! Faction-specific starter boxes,with a Mongoose-mandated offer to get the rulebook free or at a discount if you get two starters might be an idea. Something like the Bug Mega-Swarm and Marauder Platoon offers that used to be on the site.

Another box set idea that came to mind would be a platoon starter set for the MI - one for each platoon type giving you enough minis to field a basic-level platoon with some options. So say a PAMI platoon with an NCO, 16 MI and a bunch of weapons options, or a Marauder on would have 2-3 apes and Chickenhawks. Have some blurb on the back of the box to let you know the points cost and what to buy to expand the platoon quickly, kinda like how Privateer's squad boxes mention if you can expand the squad and how many minis you get in a blister.

Something I'd really like to see is separate PAMI for use as NCOs and LTs. This would also be great for Pathfinders, as the other platoons (Marauder and Exo) already are available singly. this would allow the fielding of complete squads rather than those missing models to make leaders.

well core starters or starter box the important thing is that there is a unified and obvious beginning path, at my local FLGS that is why they decided against BF Evo was that the owner did not like not having a core start, (the expanded rulebook was not yet out when the decision was made) he heard from his distributor I can get you minis but we don't have the starter set, or I can get you AT 43 starter set and all, guess which way he went..

vardald said:
Something I'd really like to see is separate PAMI for use as NCOs and LTs. This would also be great for Pathfinders, as the other platoons (Marauder and Exo) already are available singly. this would allow the fielding of complete squads rather than those missing models to make leaders.
A "Pathfinders Specials" type set would be excellent. Need leaders, shredders and more with the special weapons.

From a neutral view: I think starter boxes for factions are a good idea.
I couldn't see myself getting into this game otherwise.
But could be tempted with a small starter box to get a flavor of the game. :)

JayRaider said:
From a neutral view: I think starter boxes for factions are a good idea.
I couldn't see myself getting into this game otherwise.
But could be tempted with a small starter box to get a flavor of the game. :)

Yah, that could work. just add the basic rules for quicplay, and your set.

They gave up on the pre-paint/pre-assembled Idea... thus the name change from Evolution to War of the Species.

Hiromoon said:
Actually it was more of the rules set being scrapped, but what can you do?

Wasn't it sort of based on the very poor reaction to both the 'slimline' rules and the poor quality of the Evo pre-paints . . . . . .

Yah, no one ever dare tuch the ones in my local game store. And beleve me the owner is pissed for buying that stuff.

Back