SRD Stunned

Voltumna

Mongoose
I was perusing through several threads here, and came across the acronym SRD. I have never read it, and I found many things missing in Conan there. So if something is not fully described in a Conan book, I guess the SRD takes place? For instance, Stunned is not described as such in Conan:

Stunned: A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

In Conan it misses the part where the character drops everything held. Does this take place in Conan? And if so, how does a character who dropped his weapon regain it after he is no longer stunned?

Another clarified term from there:

Nauseated: Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

I don't own ani D&D 3.x source books, so there always gaps in Conan that can be filled with this.

For instance, the summon swarm spells from ATR? Now take a deadlier hue to them under this light.

Voltumna said:
In Conan it misses the part where the character drops everything held. Does this take place in Conan? And if so, how does a character who dropped his weapon regain it after he is no longer stunned?

I mean it is obvious it requires a move action, but just the move action? Any tipe of roll?

Stunned isn't a damage effect in Conan. You can only make someone stunned, technically, by use of the Stunning Attack feat. It's in the SRD, but there aren't any weapons or spells in Conan that cause a target to become stunned, therefore it isn't necessary that it be in the game. Targets can be Staggered (when non-lethal damage equals your current HP) or Unconcious (when non-lethal damage exceedsyour current HP). While staggered, you can only take either a standard or move action in a round, and while unconcious you become helpless (see page 171, Helpless Defenders).

Nausea is another non-lethal damage effect that doesn't exist in Conan. Poisons are either mild as to do no harm or they deal Ability Damage or, if there are other effects, they are described in the effect of the toxin. Oddly enough, as one example, Acheronian Demon-fire rewuires any character in the affected area to make a REF save or take 1 point of fire damage and be stunned for 1d4 rounds. However, it goes on to describe the stunned status as being "...can take no actions, can neither dodge nor parry...opponents receive a +2 bonus to thier attack rolls to hit him." That's technically similar to SRD "stunned" (+2 to opponent to hit rolls rather than -2AC and cannot dodge or parry instead of 'loses DEX bonus to AC'.)

Picking up an item is in the action table on page 155 as a Move action that provokes an AoO.

Sutek said:
Stunned isn't a damage effect in Conan. You can only make someone stunned, technically, by use of the Stunning Attack feat. /quote]

So you can stun someone with the stunning fist feat, and the effect is the target becomes stunned. When you manage to do so, does the affected character also drop hand held items? Or just suffer the partial effect described in Conan?

Voltumna said:
So if something is not fully described in a Conan book, I guess the SRD takes place?
Not quite. How do I put this? It is wrong to think of something in an OGL ruleset as "not fully described", barring an error/typo a rule is always "fully described". However you can have a situation where a OGL ruleset refrences a rule, or even omits a rule entierly. In that case you go to the SRD for the missing text. For example, IIRC Conan does not reprint the penalties for the Exhausted condition, in that case you should go back to the SRD and look up Exhausted.

So in Conan the stunning condition has been altered from the SRD version, the text of the Conan version is the "complete" text with regards to a Conan game.

BUT ... :roll:

Now that I've gone and said all that, there is actually an error in Conan regarding the stunned condition. The summary of Stunned in the Combat chapter says that a stunned character can't take any actions and looses his Dodge and Parry bonuses to DV. However, the summary of Stunned in the Stunning Attack feat says that a stunned character can't act, looses his Dodge and Parry bonuses to DV, and that attackers get a +2 bonus to hit against him.

Sigh :|

The way I handle it under my house rules is that a stunned character can't act, looses his Dodge and Parry, attackers get a +2 bonus to hit and he drops anything he is holding. Why did I go back to that version? Because I like messy combats with people droping their stuff and going for backup weapons. Thats just me.

Hope that helps.

Voltumna said:
Voltumna said:

I mean it is obvious it requires a move action, but just the move action? Any tipe of roll?
No roll is required. Many ordinary actions do not require rolls; opening doors, mounting a horse, drawing a weapon, putting on armor, etc.

Later.

The differences in "Stunned" as an effect are, as I said, named out in each possible instance that causes them, but on the whole result in no dodge/parry and being unable to take any actions. The different instances that actually cause stunned results each have a different way of doing it in Conan, but it's probably because there are actually few things that do cause a stunned result.

The general idea is that the SRD is what all this is based on and you aren't meant to look back to it to clarify. If there's mention of a rule in a spin-off set (like Conan) then it takes precedent - don't worry about what the SRD says. If That's also the difference between a D20 supplement and a strictly OGL one too. Certain sets require the 3.5 PHB and others are self-contained (like Conan is) and don't require anything else.

The +2 to be hit by opponents is a translation of the -2 to AC that is in the SRD stunned description, so I think I'd include it each time even though the Conan description (page 166) doesn't actually include it. It makes sense, and creates a blanket rule for stunned results. Uniformity is better, as far as I'm concerned.

:wink:

Not to get off the subject, but...

Last session I had a character shoulder-charge a door to break it down and couldn't find anything in Conan RPG (other that attacking an inanimate object with a weapon, which was not the case). I didn't have time to look up the rule in my 3.5 books.

How would that situation be handled? How much damage would someone cause to the door? If it counts as an unamed strike, the door (Hardness 10) will never break, even with a STR 18.

Any input?

Back