Squadron Boxes

Apep

Mongoose
Just got my second Squadron Box - Klingons (Got my first box (Federation) before Christmas) – I have just had a quick check and the quality is even better.

Well Done!!

Pity I won’t be able to do anything with them till next week :(

Picked up 3 squadron boxes at the Crusade Show today and had chance to meet and chat with Matthew, which was very pleasant and informative. I'm very pleased with the models I've looked at so far - can't believe the 'warbird' etching on the Romulans! I've been tidying and undercoating them whilst watching Galaxy Quest! Does it get any better? (Well maybe if I can stop my hand shaking from laughter!) :lol:

So would I be right in saying Mongoose has squadron boxes in stock and if I ordered one now I would get it quickly? (as I'm getting impatient waiting for my 3 fleet boxes :roll: )

I pre-ordered the Squadron Boxes - The Federation in November and the Klingons early January (along with a fleet box and a few other items)

I understand the priority is thoses who have pre-ordered - however give sales a shout on Monday - they will advise further

Thanks just looked at the online shop an a few of the squadron boxes are showing as "in stock". So I'll give it a try as I was hoping to try a few games with friends who might be interested in playing, over the next couple of weeks.

I think they just got a big shipment in from the states.

I preordered a fed and klingon squadron box and got them both before xmas.

Ordered another fed and klingon squadron box last week, the klingons turned up yesterday and the feds have been despatched.

I reckon it will be safe to order squadron boxes now.

Andy

zap123 said:
I ordered Klingon and Romulan ones on Jan 3 and still dont have them.

jesus... seriously!?

No offense, but I'd be more then slightly peeved.

This is why Im not "pre-ordering" anything. If I see it on a store shelf *then* I'll buy it.

I never give my money to somebody on the promise they'll give me something weeks/months down the line.

But almost a month? Heck thewarstore JUST ran out of the boxed sets yesterday... still have Romulan boxes IN stock. *edit* as of Friday morning. Just confirmed they are now out of stock of everything except the main rulebook.

Ironic that everyone's having such problems getting these. The local store can't sell a thing - the game's being blackballed by the SFB crowd, apparently. I'm thinking he's glad he shaved his order down 75% due to the release delays - bet he's switched the fleet boxes (if they ever come out) to special order only.

starbreaker said:
Ironic that everyone's having such problems getting these. The local store can't sell a thing - the game's being blackballed by the SFB crowd, apparently. I'm thinking he's glad he shaved his order down 75% due to the release delays - bet he's switched the fleet boxes (if they ever come out) to special order only.

Guess thats just your area then, cause around here, they couldnt get rid of SFB fast enough. The game (SFB) is EXTREMELY tedious, micro-managing nightmare on roller skates with a stupidly large rulebook you need a human PC to reference or learn. I know.. I played SFB for a while before I realized I liked sunshine, fresh air, and girls more. FC got rid of a *LOT* of crap, and streamlined a very heavy turd into something slightly more enjoyable. ACTA is the next logical step, providing quick, easy to learn rules and still retain in depth strategy, fleet building, and campaign rules. While dumping the years of added fat and garbage that SFB has added/become.

I say let em blackball it. Tell em to have a good time doing what they wanna do. But if they think that their opinion is the only one.. they would be wrong.. horribly wrong, and the enmass sellout worldwide pretty much proves people have demand for the product.

Peace

starbreaker said:
Ironic that everyone's having such problems getting these. The local store can't sell a thing - the game's being blackballed by the SFB crowd, apparently.

Also ironic since the miniatures are intended for FC & SFB as well as ACTA.

Also, everyone? Most of the posts on this thread say they've got squadron boxes.

Greg Smith said:
starbreaker said:
Ironic that everyone's having such problems getting these. The local store can't sell a thing - the game's being blackballed by the SFB crowd, apparently.

Also ironic since the miniatures are intended for FC & SFB as well as ACTA.

They don't work very well for either, which is one basis of the local dislike. Much too big for small hex grids, and not everyone owns larger ones. Then again, a lot of the local ADB guys are cheap too - they'd rather play with counters any day. Not ACTA's target audience - I used to get odd looks for bringing Starline 2400 minis to a game. Not that even those work all that well on dinky hexes - some of these guys are still playing on "bluespace" hex maps from the Task Force Games days.

Think Mongoose is appealing to the collectors as much to many ADB gamers - same crowd that eats up "re-imagined" Trek designs on Shapeways and the like. Big market there, arguably larger than the actual gamers are, and much more free with their money. Of course, the initial fleets will do best for that - Trek fans who aren't SFU players of some type won't be as interested in (say) Hydran or Gorn ships as in recognizable Klingons

Also, everyone? Most of the posts on this thread say they've got squadron boxes.

That makes one thread - and the post I was responding too was certainly having issues. Besides, you've had weeks if not months of "when do the squadron boxes arrive?" and now the distributors are dry again and the fleet boxes still haven't even hit. The production pipeline still isn't running smoothly - not that I really care until the Gorns hit anyway, and maybe not even then. If the game doesn't catch locally I'm staying out altogether, just a waste of money to buy stuff I won't get to use outside of cons.

Guess thats just your area then, cause around here, they couldnt get rid of SFB fast enough. The game (SFB) is EXTREMELY tedious, micro-managing nightmare on roller skates with a stupidly large rulebook you need a human PC to reference or learn. I know.. I played SFB for a while before I realized I liked sunshine, fresh air, and girls more. FC got rid of a *LOT* of crap, and streamlined a very heavy turd into something slightly more enjoyable. ACTA is the next logical step, providing quick, easy to learn rules and still retain in depth strategy, fleet building, and campaign rules. While dumping the years of added fat and garbage that SFB has added/become.

Not that I wholely disagree with you, but what's with the tasteless spew? Do you really think that attitude would make anyone who reads it want to play ACTA more? Especially an SFU fan who came up through ADB in the first place? Those are the people I would have thought most likely to try ACTA of their own inclination, but my locals say no, stridently.

If I ever expect to play the game regularly myself, the players are going to have to come from other groups. It's not going to be the Firestorm Armada guys (who were laughing at the ACTA mini quality the day they came in - funny, considering Spartan's first wave foibles) or the Full Thrust players (who prefer smaller minis and a much wider range of sculpts). Maybe some of the Heroclix guys can be baited away from the upcoming Star Trek game to try ACTA - but I think I'll just wait and see what the game store does to push in-store play with demos or a campaign. If it doesn't get backing by the time the Gorn figs hit I'll probably just call it a day. ACTA's okay, but not worth busting my own hump to build a local player base for the game - and right now it looks like that's what it would take. Sometimes a game just doesn't take in a given community.

I think we're veering off topic here, and some of the points raised may warrant their own (separate) discussion. Particularly points about finding/creating a local player base, and ACTA:SF compared to other games (focusing on why everyone chose ACTA over other similar systems).

Most of the posts on this thread say they've got squadron boxes.
No minis at all in my house yet, but I did receive an e-mail saying that ONE squadron box is on the way. That's one box out of five fleet boxes and eight squadron boxes I have on pre-order. {sigh}

Non here and not happy about it at all. Worst customer service I have ever experienced from any wargaming company.

Oh dear, I really do feel sorry for you guys still waiting.

A year or more ago I got into dystopian wars, got the first big box set no problem, but then they sold out and could not get new stock in. By the time they finally had what I wanted months and months later both I and my friends had lost interest and gone back to our other games.

If acta:sf catches on well enough i will sell all my dystopian stuff later this year.

Guess I have been very lucky, 2 box sets of Feds and Klingons is probably all the models i will want to buy for the game not sure I have the time to play a bigger game than that.

I hope you guys get all your models real soon, I agree it is a bad idea to launch a range like this without enough stock already available. With the star trek tie in it was bound to sell fairly well initially even if popularity dies off after a while.

Must say I would always prefer a nice model to a tiny cardboard counter if I had the choice. :). I used to play the original pre plotted 1980 version of star fleet battles. Great game but only suitable for one ship per person. I am too old for that now, prefer much simpler quicker moving rules.

Andy

MarkDawg said:
Non here and not happy about it at all. Worst customer service I have ever experienced from any wargaming company.

I have had dealings with Mongoose since the first edition of the Babylon 5 RPG – I have never had any problems with them – In fact I have had less hassle with Mongoose than some other companies I could mention.

Ok there has been a slight delay in production and distribution – it’s nothing I am going to get worked up and upset about – “worse thing happen at sea” - Eric Idle (Life of Brian)

As for the attitude of SFB players “black-balling” the game – this is a despicable action and one we as players should be ashamed of – it reflects badly on the whole gaming community - It will lead to less and less games being produced and less and less new players.

What does "black-balling the game" actually mean, anyway? Choosing not to play it? Bad-mouthing it? Breaking the legs of anyone they catch playing it?

DaemonBorn said:
So would I be right in saying Mongoose has squadron boxes in stock and if I ordered one now I would get it quickly? (as I'm getting impatient waiting for my 3 fleet boxes :roll: )

Yes, and yes!

zap123 said:
I ordered Klingon and Romulan ones on Jan 3 and still dont have them.

Drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com with your order details. Anyone who ordered the Squadron sets should ether already have them, or about to have them arrive in the post. Fleets sets begin to move out this coming week.

Back