spiritual magic questions/feedback request

Kravell

Mongoose
I'm working on spirit magic and would like feedback.

Here's what I've come up with as a basic understanding and/or house rules:
-using the power of a spirit costs 1 Magic Point.
-Combat stats for spirits are used for spirit combat. If attached to a fetish, a spirit gives a shaman one ongoing ability as long as the spirit is invoked.
-Shamans start the game with either one Intensity 2 spirit bound to a fetish or two Intensity 1 spirits bound to fetishes. They don’t start with a fetch.

Here are some spirits I came up with to fill the missing gaps in the rules:

For ancestors, they use skills for you. If you desire to have an ancestor possess your Adventurer, check with the GM for stats.

Grandfather Clockmaker (Intensity 1, ancestor spirit mother’s side)—Culture (Amperian) 60%, Mechanisms 60%, Persistence 40%, Streetwise 60%. Shaman must make an opposed Influence test versus Persistence to gain answers sought.

Ancient Hero Spiritbroker (Intensity 2, ancestor spirit father’s side)—Commerce 85%, Courtesy 85%, Persistence 65%, Spirit Walking 85%. Shaman must make an opposed Influence test versus Persistence to gain answers sought.

Firebrand (Intensity 1 Persistence 40%, salamander spirit 1 cubic meter)—INT 1, POW 6, CHA --, CA 2, SR +5, HP 10, Spirit Damage +1d6, Persistence 40%, Spectral Engulf 50%. Shaman does an extra point of fire damage with weapons or an unarmed attack. Shaman can use a candle flame to heal himself of 1 hit point on one location thrust in the flame.

Zephyr (Intesity 2 Persistence 65%, sylph spirit 2 cubic meters)—INT 2, POW 10, CHA --, CA 2, SR +7, HP 20, Spirit Damage +1d8, Persistence 40%, Spectral Drop 75%. A shaman firing a missile causes it to inflict an additional 1d6 points of damage. A shaman may push away an item or creature of up to 2 SIZ or 2 ENC in a straight line 8 meters long (Resilience roll to resist).

Ironward (Intensity 1 Persistence 40%, iron sorcery spirit)—INT 9, POW 10, CHA 5, CA 2, SR +5, HP 10, Spirit Damage +1d6, Persistence 40%, Spectral Sword 50%. Protects shaman from hostile magic (must penetrate Persistence 40%).

Threshold (Intensity 2 Persistence 65%, Amperian house spirit)—INT 5, POW 11, CHA 9, CA 2, SR +4, HP 18, Spirit Damage +1d8, Persistence 65%, Spectral Bite 75%. Protects shaman from hostile magic (must penetrate Persistence 65%).

Do these spirits look about right for both stats for spirit combat and for abilities granted to a shaman? I need magic points for each as well don't I? The example spirits don't have magic points listed.

Thanks.

Brillaint stuff.

I'm not clear how the ancestor spirits work - are you proposing an ancestor would covertly possess a shaman / adventurer, who could then use the ancestor's skills if you 'invoke' it (as you've described such as beat the spirit with your influence)? Or would the possession be very time-limted, for one specific task? But very nice ideas either way.

I haven't examined the stats carefully, nothing jumps out.

Magic points should just = POW.

Antalon.

As I read the info on ancestor spirits they will answer questions with a Successful Influence test. So I thought I'd give them some skills that the shaman might not have and he could bargain for the spirit's knowledge. For instance, if going to court and not having Courtesy or trying to disarm a trap without Mechanics.

I want to make sure I understand how spirits work. Here's my understanding as I explain it to my players:

Combat stats for spirits are used for spirit combat when a shaman wants to capture one. If attached to a fetish, a spirit gives a shaman one ongoing ability whenever the spirit is invoked using a Magic Point. It doesn't fight for the shaman (unlike a fetch, which will fight).

I don't think a brand new shaman should have a fetch as it seems extremely owerful. But one or two powers sounds about right to me.

I agree with how you have interpreted the rules. I've asked a lot of questions about Spirit Magic - this version is by far the easiest but still needs some additional explanation. I am working on my own clarification based on those responses and will post it when ready (but this may be another week before I get time).

I'd add that Spirit magicians may have a Sickness or Curse spirit bound, to release upon their enemies. At which point, if commanded succesfully with a Spirit Binding roll, will engage a foe within the spirt magician POW metres in spirit combat.

Spirit magicians can also negotiate for services - perhaps with spirits voluntarily being bound to a fetish, accompanying the magician on a (limited) quest, or lurking on the spirit plane in one place waiting for the spirit magician to bring enemies to it (assuming the spirit is aggresive).

I've developed a number of spirits that I'll hopefully post-up when time allows too. I've prepared one so far - I've not filled in the derived stats, skills or actual values (based on the box on pg 143). Hopefully Pete can tell me if this is correct too!

Sickness spirit – The devouring worm

This sickness spirit places of death and decay, where there has been great sorrow. All things die but the devouring worm does not see the new life or growth that takes its place. And the devouring worm eats into the psyche of its victims, haunting them with visions of decay and inevitable death. The victim sees their close friends appear to rot and putrefy, flesh falling from yellowed bones, animals, plants all seem to wither: a haunting cycle of devouring corruption driving its victim from rational thought into manic obsession with death itself.

INT 2d6; CA
POW 1d6 + 12; SR
CHA 2d6; MP
Intensity 2; Spirit damage
Traits: (covert) Possession
Skills: Spectral gnawing; Persistence; Stealth; Discorporation
Ability: Once it covertly possesses the victim it inflicts a slow disease-like madness – curse of the devouring worm.
Effect (page 56 RQII): Hallucination; Mania (necrophobia or necrophilia). Initially the hallucinations are subtle and fleeting but grow in intensity over time. After a week of affliction – and every week thereafter – the victim must succeed in an opposed Persistence test or suffer the Mania (as GM considers appropriate). The effect stays in place until the spirit is exorcised.

Back