Some new skill system observations

Archer,

I like the idea for Genesis. I like it alot.

You might also consider just capping skills off at 100 or 200% and eliminate the autowin problem. Pendragon does soemthing very similar, by adding skill points over 20 to the d20 roll. For such characters any roll of 20+ is a critical. Skills don't offically have a cap, but scores over 39 are really only useful for overcoming penalties.

BTW, You do own a copy of Top Secret/SI don't you?

Archer said:
Trodax said:
The only thing I'm a bit iffy on are the multiple rerolls on criticals, but I'm sure that doesn't happen often enough to be cumbersome. Still, couldn't it work with some simpler rule; perhaps if you simply doubled your degrees of success on a critical?

That was the way I did it first. But then, someone with a high enough % would basically always win due to the over 100 bonus.
True, but you would really need a massively higher skill to automatically succeed. With doubling of successes on a critical, you would need to have 180% to autosucceed against someone with 50%, and 280% to autosucceed against someone with 100%.
I don't really have a problem with someone who has such a huge advantage automatically succeeding (and you could always have some rule of automatic failure on a 00-roll). But I guess it's a matter of taste.

atgxtg said:
Archer,

I like the idea for Genesis. I like it alot.

Thank you. When and if I finish it, it will be available for download as a .pdf (my webpage should go online in a couple of months).
The "if" depends mostly what I think about MRQ when I get my hands on the rule-book.

atgxtg said:
You might also consider just capping skills off at 100 or 200% and eliminate the autowin problem. Pendragon does soemthing very similar, by adding skill points over 20 to the d20 roll. For such characters any roll of 20+ is a critical. Skills don't offically have a cap, but scores over 39 are really only useful for overcoming penalties.

We will see. Skills over 100% are uncommon in Genesis. Over 200% extremly uncommon.

atgxtg said:
BTW, You do own a copy of Top Secret/SI don't you?

Nope, I dont.

Archer said:
Sounds overly complicated. Why not use something simpler.
Example; You roll vs 80%, you roll 63. You get 6 successes (counting only the 10ths).

That was how my own Genesis system was going to work.

I suggested a similar system to the playtest group, but it was rejected because it did'nt feel like RuneQuest.

That's a pity because it's a very good idea and a good introduction for a unified resolution system.

Mugen said:
Archer said:
Sounds overly complicated. Why not use something simpler.
Example; You roll vs 80%, you roll 63. You get 6 successes (counting only the 10ths).

That was how my own Genesis system was going to work.

I suggested a similar system to the playtest group, but it was rejected because it did'nt feel like RuneQuest.

That's a pity because it's a very good idea and a good introduction for a unified resolution system.

Too bad. Had it been used, I think MRQ would have felt like a much more modern game. But I guess the RQ1,2,3 fans would have yelped in high pitch voices :)

Back