Some new ship designs

Da Boss

Mongoose
ADB have put up a few more designs amongst the others here:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500.shtml

WHere did the Gorn Wild side ships go, its all scales now?

Bring back the wild side ships, get rid of the silly scales............... :roll:

The Wild designs (HDD, CM, and BC) are still there. Not sure where you thought they went. The (DD, CL, BC, & BCF) stay scaled as that was the intent. All this did was split Pre War builds up from War Builds.

As a Trekker I have to ask this question: Any plans on a Borg edition? How about Ferengi and Cardassian?

The Mars Battleship looks awesome by the way. Hard to paint, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun if it was easy!

MethodInsomniac said:
As a Trekker I have to ask this question: Any plans on a Borg edition? How about Ferengi and Cardassian?

Sorry they are not allowed - there is a thread which says what they can and can't do fixed at top of ACTA forum :) Have a quick look - likely clear up bits and peices for you :)

MethodInsomniac said:

Outside the scope of the license granted to ADB. They must say squarely within Original and Animated series (and even those have some limits) - or to their original variations on that Trek base.

I just have to ask...

For the Federation designs, why do all the ships with more than two engines have the extra ones coming off of the top of the saucer?

It just doesn't look right for some reason.

On those, typically bigger, ships the saucer could separate and escape as a separate ship. Iit could operate alone as well if you wanted, so they placed nacelles on the saucer to allow this. Same reason for Klingon DNs having boom mounted engines.

Commander Kretok said:
*Shrug* Ok.

I still personally think they'd look better if they were on the main body like the other engines, but maybe that's just me.

Sadly with the Star Fleet range what looks good has been thoroughly eradicated in favour of "realism".

A crying shame.

Madstoat said:
Commander Kretok said:
*Shrug* Ok.

I still personally think they'd look better if they were on the main body like the other engines, but maybe that's just me.

Sadly with the Star Fleet range what looks good has been thoroughly eradicated in favour of "realism".

A crying shame.

"Looks good" is subjective. You can't just say "we design good looking ships" as what looks good for one person looks bad for others.

Realism and internal logic has beauty of it's own to others and "cool looking ships" makes their eyes bleed.

The Steves who own and run ADB fall solidly (from what I've read) into the 'realism and internal logic' camp. On one hand they do have some 30 years of internal consistency to maintain but on the other hand they're acknowledging that 'vanilla' designs don't appeal to everyone.

The scaled / wild Gorns are one indication of that. As well, their open proposal to make Neo-Tholians 'less boring' on their BBS are both indications that they're willing to open up their designs to reach a wider audience.

I'm not arguing in favor of "cool looking ships". I've seen settings where the "rule of cool" prevailed and the designs just wound up looking silly (flying battle-churches anyone?).

I just personally dislike the extra engines being attached to the saucer. It doesn't match the classic series aesthetic that most of the other Federation ships in the game manage to maintain.

That being said, I love the designs for most of the other fleets. The Klingons, Gorn, Tholians, and Romulans all look great.

If any of the fleets need a redesign, it's the furballs. The Kzinti ships just look too blocky to me.

Commander Kretok said:
I just personally dislike the extra engines being attached to the saucer. It doesn't match the classic series aesthetic that most of the other Federation ships in the game manage to maintain.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the source material (Star Trek Technical Manual by Franz Joseph) did have a Dreadnaught in it, and the engine was attached to the saucer.

Commander Kretok said:
*Shrug* Ok.

Maybe, thats subjective - however objectively the game mechanisms couldnt work if a saucer separating from a main body at warp speed suddenly had no access to warp engine power - so on the saucer they went.

Commander Kretok said:
I just have to ask...

For the Federation designs, why do all the ships with more than two engines have the extra ones coming off of the top of the saucer?

It just doesn't look right for some reason.

Because thats the way they were drawn for the 1975 Technical Manual. Fun fact though not consider cannon the FJD's 3 Engine Dreadnaught, 2 Engine Tug, and single Engine Destroyer did appear in ST:TWOK AND ST:III as pages on the Enterprises Computer Screens

Commander Kretok said:
*Shrug* Ok.

Do it! Should be pretty easy to kit bash. I've alreay found that 1.5mm plasicard is the right thickness to match the engine struts of the fed ships when rebuilding some. Move the dreadnought engine to the hull in the middle and fill the gap on the saucer with some putty.

In ACTA SF the saucers dont separate anyway. No one will refuse to play if your engine aint in the right place :lol: .

Just rember any cool conversions must be accompanied by pics so people can ooh and aah over them and steal your ideas :twisted: !

Geoff

The Big D said:
Do it! Should be pretty easy to kit bash. I've alreay found that 1.5mm plasicard is the right thickness to match the engine struts of the fed ships when rebuilding some. Move the dreadnought engine to the hull in the middle and fill the gap on the saucer with some putty.

In ACTA SF the saucers dont separate anyway. No one will refuse to play if your engine aint in the right place :lol: .

Just remember any cool conversions must be accompanied by pics so people can ooh and aah over them and steal your ideas :twisted: !

All in good time.

I need to get my miniatures first. And no, that isn't a complaint against Mongoose or ADB, it's a complaint against The War Store. As soon as they get them back in stock I'll have my ships. Hopefully that will be cleared up soon enough.

In the mean time I have some roughly correctly scaled Micro Machine toys that have been filling in nicely.

I really like the look of the Mars class, is there any timeframe on when it should be coming out? I'm thinking of expanding once I have finished the contents of my Federation fleet box and if it's near to release I will wait and order it with the other stuff.

Back