Solomon Kane trailer

MGBM

Mongoose
Since it's related to Conan due to the fact that both characters were penned by Howard, take a look at the Solomon Kane trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalm_kkczVM

hmmmm im assuming that this is meant to be Kane's untold past in europe before we encounter him wandering around in darkest Africa. Looks like it will be an entertaining movie.

Looks good!

But what untold past in Europe? I recall reading at least two Solomon Kane stories set in Europe.

Yes, you are right, but his deeds were left vague and mostly untold. From what I saw in trailer it looks me like a "making or becoming of Solomon Kane". I'm awaiting it impatiently, as Conan the Red Nails.

True, Solomon Kane's history is a bit vague from the stories so this can very well be a story set before Howard's stories.

It is my understanding this is to be an origin story, leaving open the possibility of doing some of Howard's stories for later movies (should this one prove successful).

Some of you might recognize the guy playing Solomon as the guy who played Mark Antony in HBO's Rome.

I must admit I'm very very very suspicious about the "Van Helsing approach" of the character. Actually, I fear the worse.

Very cool. Now we will need the Kane supplement to Conan RPG
You already got this:
http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=solomon+kane&osCsid=f91402e43b527ecec13e40a3c1be3c57

---and it's pretty good, no matter if you like Savage Worlds or not.

Hervé said:
I must admit I'm very very very suspicious about the "Van Helsing approach" of the character. Actually, I fear the worse.
My GF said the same thing...

but I would say it is the other way around.
The most recent van Helsing (aka Wolverine) is suspiciously like Solomon Kane.

My GF even suspected it to be the same actor at first.

Sadly, I fear that the vast majority of the movie-going public are going to assume that Solomon Kane is a Van Helsing rip-off instead of the other way around. :(

That godawful :x Stephen Sommers/Hugh Jackman film was so high-profile when it was released a few years ago and, let's face it, neither Michael Bassett nor James Purefoy are exactly household names (at least here in the States). Plus, so few people are actually aware of Howard's character or when he was created. It's going to be an easy mistake for them to make.

A shame, too. I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think it's gonna be really cool. I know this "origin story" isn't based on any of REH's stories per se (it's been quite some time since I read the Kane stories so I don't know if the writer/director gleaned any elements from things mentioned in them), but I'm willing to give Bassett the benefit of the doubt. From what little I know, his enthusiasm for and dedication to the character are pretty high.

Btw, anyone have any idea who's doing the score? I haven't seen anything about that myself.

Thanks.

I'm gonna try and see a screening of this film at Fantastic Fest on the 24th. My expectations are low though. I'd been following the development of this movie for a year now and Basset definitely compromised a lot in his adaptation. I'm holding out hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

"Very cool. Now we will need the Kane supplement to Conan RPG"

I'm taking a break from GMing Conan, so one of my players can GM Solomon Kane. The game is excellent and doesn't seem to need the infinite supplements that D20 seems to .

Hervé said:

Very cool. Now we will need the Kane supplement to Conan RPG
You already got this:
http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=solomon+kane&osCsid=f91402e43b527ecec13e40a3c1be3c57

---and it's pretty good, no matter if you like Savage Worlds or not.

I got to do the 2nd Ed Conan premiere at the same time Savage Worlds was doing the Debut of Soloman Kane. We were all in the Same Room even, so it was a pretty cool Robert E. Howard free for all.

Plenty of material there for more then a few game companies. Hell I use the Sailor Steve Costigan stuff for my Cthulu game and for the Runequest/Slaine material I tend to stay within the confines of Bran Mak Morn. :D

~Rex

Pascalahad said:
On Imdb they have Klaus Badelt listed as composer.

Thank you for the info. I suppose I could have looked that up myself considering I spend a fair amount of my workday in front of a computer. :oops: Guess I was feeling a little too lazy the other day.

Back