Solomani Front - eBook & Pre-Order

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Extend your exploration of Charted Space with a new sector book - Solomani Front!

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/solomani-front.html

North American Travellers can get theirs here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/solomani-front.html

The scene of bitter fighting in the Solomani Rim War, tensions still run high in the Solomani Front. In the Solomani Rim, hard-liners agitate for a campaign to retake Terra from the Imperials whilst dissidents plot secession from the Solomani Confederation. In Alpha Crucis, independent worlds seek to chart their own course despite interference from the Confederation.

The Solomani Front is a land of opportunity, lying between the open worlds of the rimward fringe and the vast markets of the Imperium. Cross-border trade and diplomacy form a backdrop for covert operations, intelligence-gathering missions and backstreet skullduggery. With factions pushing their own agendas at the expense of others, the knife and the bomb are tools of diplomacy to many.

Under pressure from within and without, the Confederation struggles to maintain its independence and preserve its unique spirit. It is here that the Solomani claim to superiority will be tested; in the crucible of the Solomani Front.

Inside you will find:

* Several new playable alien races, including the Selenites, Aquamorph Humans, Apes, Gurungan and Ladybugs.
* The Vegans and the Vegan Autonomous District are explored in detail, including Vegan Travellers and a Vegan High Guard expansion.
* The much-maligned Crusader superheavy tank, the Galvan Corrosive Environment Construction Platform, the Hunterfoils of Bellerophon, the sometimes lethal Torbellino Speeder, and many other vehicles found throughout the Solomani Front.
* Many new ships found in this region of Charted Space, including the Kestrel Aerospace Fighter, Scorpion Strike Boat, Mountain Logistics Barge, and the Daring Fleet Destroyer.
* Animals, diseases and other hazards native to the worlds of both the Solomani Rim and Alpha Crucis sectors.

349043.jpg

Ok, first impressions are very positive, thoroughly enjoy what I’m seeing so far! Fantastic artwork and great writing throughout the book - I love the looks of the Solomani ships!

I had no idea what the Vegans and their autonomous district was before this book, so them getting a chapter on their own was very educational. Interesting bunch.

I’m always happy to see non-imperial large warships, and this book sure delivered on that front! Fun to see different design philosophies and the navies and ships that produces! The Solomani seem very keen on fighters and carriers.

I’m also sure a bunch of people are gonna be very happy to see the whole “landing in higher gravity then a ship’s M-drive rating” issue resolved (p.184-186)! Simple solution (and perhaps something to add to the revised core book?).

I did however note one piece of discrepancy between this book and Aliens of Charted Space vol.2... I’m talking about this part:
“Aliens of Charted Space vol.2 said:
These are typically built on a ‘small 25/large 75’ system that matches standardised small craft bays.
By way of example, the standard light fighter used by the Confederation’s military forces is a 25-ton vessel, with assault shuttles and strike boats built on a 75-ton hull.
The Kestrel fighter in Solomani Rim is a 15 dt design, and all of the ships in this book have hangars and launch/recovery facilities for 15/75 dt smallcraft, rather than 25/75. Not a huge issue, since 75 divides by 25 nicely and the small boats can thus replace torpedo boats or large shuttles on a 3:1 basis, and most ships seem prepared for both sizes anyways.

Well, that’s if for now, more to come when I get a chance to sit down properly with the book :)

Annatar Giftbringer said:
I’m also sure a bunch of people are gonna be very happy to see the whole “landing in higher gravity then a ship’s M-drive rating” issue resolved (p.184-186)! Simple solution (and perhaps something to add to the revised core book?).

Huh. I always thought it was 'lifters' built into the hull, like on grav vehicles, at least for those hulls with artificial gravity. Negates local gravity entirely and you just use the M-drive for thrust. Makes math easier too. I think that's the way T5 does it, but I get cross-eyed reading T5 books.

That’s how I’ve handwaved it too, but a point could be made that if the M-drive is limited to 1G then it can’t cancel out more than 1G and thus it would be unable to takeoff from a 1.1G world...

I’ve just ignored it, and the newly presented solution is simple (and elegant) enough that one could almost ignore it nowadays too:)

Geir said:

Huh. I always thought it was 'lifters' built into the hull, like on grav vehicles, at least for those hulls with artificial gravity. Negates local gravity entirely and you just use the M-drive for thrust. Makes math easier too. I think that's the way T5 does it, but I get cross-eyed reading T5 books.

Other Traveller authors would agree with you, so just do what works for your game.

Old School said:
Geir said:

Other Traveller authors would agree with you, so just do what works for your game.

Agree about the lifters or the T5 books?

Old School said:
Probably both, but definitely about a 1G ship having no problem taking off on a high-G world.

Yeah, but no lifters is an issue for refueling at large gas giants. No civilian ship would be able to handle Jupiter at 2.6 G. And based on exoplanet research Jupiter is only near the lower mass distribution of 'large' gas giants.

Geir said:
Old School said:
Probably both, but definitely about a 1G ship having no problem taking off on a high-G world.

Yeah, but no lifters is an issue for refueling at large gas giants. No civilian ship would be able to handle Jupiter at 2.6 G. And based on exoplanet research Jupiter is only near the lower mass distribution of 'large' gas giants.

But yet the down on its luck free trader refueling at a gas giant is a regular feature in traveller.

Sigtrygg said:
That's because they understand orbital mechanics...

But not, apparently, atmospheric entry. Orbital velocity at the edge of Jupiter's atmosphere is over 40 km/s. Even at the thermosphere, that's some serious drag on your only-so-streamlined free trader. And I hope you like your unrefined fuel hot.

The way the same author describes gas giant refueling in the Companion involves hours and hours, implying a slow entry and slow velocity gas gathering. Also, given that heat shields are needed (Highguard) for regular atmospheric entry WITHOUT a function gravitic drive (p. 12), then lifters are sort of assumed (plus, it doesn't look like you can handle a 7 kps entry, much less 40 without a heat shield). And not one Highguard design has heat shielding, which costs more than radiation shielding, which also far too few military' ships have (ought to be standard milspec, because particle beams kill, never mind the underpowered nukes).

Back