So while you are remastering for metal...

ErikB

Mongoose
Is there any chance of changing the grill on top of the Klingon D7 to make it curved again?

d701.jpg

d702.jpg

I don't mind the gribbly bits on the wings, but that is just the wrong shape!

Different ship really. The TOS D7s are the same as the Mongoose D6 design, that one has all sorts of upgrades in the SFU which is why it has the larger and differently shaped hangar/engineering block.

I get that, but the D7 is one of the great classic designs of science fiction, so the D7 here should be broadly the same shape.

I think people are going to be wondering why the D7 model is inaccurate.

I never noticed and never would have without this thread. I don't care either way, it's such a minimal thing.

Iain McGhee said:
Different ship really. The TOS D7s are the same as the Mongoose D6 design, that one has all sorts of upgrades in the SFU which is why it has the larger and differently shaped hangar/engineering block.
Even the D6 is inaccurate:
392817_10150374375563280_231728653279_8113757_1875748720_n.jpg

Note the enlarged secondary structure on the deckhouse, the details on the front of the engineering hull and the details on the neck where it joins the engineering hull. Not visible in this dark photo is the engraved line around the bow. The Starline 2500 D6 is some sort of hybrid between a TOS D7 and a TMP K'Tinga. ;)

Well, the Original Series was several years before the General War (about 10-15 from the nebulous "mid-war" point at which the ships are selected from) and pretty much every ship in the game has received Modernization and War-Readiness refits just before and during the opening years of the war. IIRC The D6 had its rear shields beefed up a tiny bit and it's boom Ph-2s upgraded with better Gyros to Phaser-1s.

This is obviously why the D6 looks slightly different, yeah! :D

Doesn't SVC sign off on each design? If so, that would make each model per se accurate since the baseline standard is the SFU as interpreted by ADB and not TOS or the movies.

GalagaGalaxian said:
Well, the Original Series was several years before the General War (about 10-15 from the nebulous "mid-war" point at which the ships are selected from) and pretty much every ship in the game has received Modernization and War-Readiness refits just before and during the opening years of the war. IIRC The D6 had its rear shields beefed up a tiny bit and it's boom Ph-2s upgraded with better Gyros to Phaser-1s.

This is obviously why the D6 looks slightly different, yeah! :D

Which, of course, could potentially leave the door open for a few Middle Years versions of the relevant ships at some future point, should a future expansion take a look at the "TV era"...

(I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual 2500-series take on Squadron Box #91 went with something in that vein; offering a more "Franz Joseph"-ey DN in place of the current "refit" DNG, and so on. But, we'll see what happens if/when that time comes later on.)

I'm experimenting with a few replacement grill panels off a 3D printer that may be able to convert the front of that deckhouse to match the original D7 model.

Still not sure what to do with the gribbly bits on the wing, though. I may have to modify a smooth-winged D6 to match the D7 model, then modify the deckhouse on the D7 mini to match it and pretend the gribblies are from a future refit.

And yes, that's a purple D7, based on the original model before it was repainted gray. I used to paint my Klingon mothball reserve ships that color to set them apart from the gray/green war construction ships. (The Klingons eventually figured out that painting their ships blood pink wasn't having quite the desired psychological effect on their enemies as they had hoped.)

For the record I think the mini would look cooler and more like a D7 if the grill was curved. Aside from that I quite like it, although I would at some point like the option to purchase an accurate D7 model.

The D7 is, like, my favourite space ship design, like, ever. So I am a bit of a D7 purist. :0)

Back