Sneak Attack vs Sneak Attack Style

A

Anonymous

I can't seem to find a clear answer to the following question I have about the thief class:

Is the +d8 damage you get for using your 'sneak attack style' weapon added to the +d6 damage you would normally do, or does it replace it?

For instance, I'm a 1st level thief. I get to add +1d6 to my damage when I do sneak attacks. I pick dagger as my 'sneak attack style'. Now, when I sneak attack with a dagger do I add an extra 1d6+1d8 to the dagger damage, or do I just add a +1d8?

Crowind said:
I can't seem to find a clear answer to the following question I have about the thief class:

Is the +d8 damage you get for using your 'sneak attack style' weapon added to the +d6 damage you would normally do, or does it replace it?

For instance, I'm a 1st level thief. I get to add +1d6 to my damage when I do sneak attacks. I pick dagger as my 'sneak attack style'. Now, when I sneak attack with a dagger do I add an extra 1d6+1d8 to the dagger damage, or do I just add a +1d8?

It replaces it. You only do +1d8 instead of +1d6.

But in the example on page 66 it says that a Thief 4/Pirate 5 does 1d4 + 2d8 + 3d6 points of damage, when sneaking with his sneak style weapon. :shock:

That would be 2d6 + 2d8 from his thief levels and 1d6 from his pirate levels.

So I would rule that they are stacking.

At first I thought that you get the d8 instead of d6, but after re-reading the example it does look like they stack. I'll have to point that out to my DM next time since I have a thief at the moment and have only been using the d8 with my sneak attack style weapon, can't pass up the chance for more damage now can I? :twisted:

Roderick said:
But in the example on page 66 it says that a Thief 4/Pirate 5 does 1d4 + 2d8 + 3d6 points of damage, when sneaking with his sneak style weapon. :shock:

That would be 2d6 + 2d8 from his thief levels and 1d6 from his pirate levels.

So I would rule that they are stacking.

I think this is an error. The text is quite clear on this. You do 1d8 instead of 1d6. At least, it seemed clear to me. I believe it should be 1d4 + 2d8 + 1d6.

I sure as hell will rule that way as GM.

I have to agree with Yaun-Ti on this one. If you ignore the example and read just the rules text it seems pretty cleart. I believe that the +3d6 is a typo and should read +1d6.

Ooops, after further investigation, page 66 under Sneak Attack. Says quite clearly what the numbers before and after the slash indicate. I'd say the example is definitely wrong. I could have sworn I had a good reason to use d8 instead of d6 + d8.

After having read the book cover to cover about three times now I think I can confidently say that whenever an example disagrees with the text (happens a lot more than you'd think) the example is always wrong.

Love the book, hate the proofreading :(

It's strange isn't it, how stand alone d20 systems either require or don't require previous knowledge.

I remember reading Arcana Unearthed for the first time and it really helped me understand 3rd Edition D&D . . .

Reading Conan for the first time only made sense because I understood 3 rd Edition D&D . . .

[I know neither book requires the PHB but reading Conan RPG with no prior knowledge would have been confusing as hell - despite being a great book!]

Back