Sneak Attack and DR

A

Anonymous

Does sneak attack damage get applied before or after DR is considered?

In other words:

If my attack doesn't penetrate DR (causing minimal damage) from Armour, do I still get to apply sneak attack damage?

I think it gets applied before DR is condidered, making Thieves very effective versus armor-wearing goons.

Sneak attack damage is added in to the damage of the attack, and the total is compared to the DR.

Example:
------------
PLAYER: Zapato the Pirate sneak attacks the clueless guard in a back alley with his dagger!

He rolls and scores a hit, but the guard is wearing leather armour. The player rolls damage for Zapato (1d4+2d6 for sneak attack+2 STR bonus) and gets 3+10+2 = 15 damage. The GM subtracts out the DR of the leather armour (4 I believe, not having my book with me) and records 11 damage on the guard. This drops the guard to -1 hit points, and he falls over.

GM: Your dagger pierces deeply into the guard's back. His head rolls back and he makes a quiet grunt, blood spewing over your hand as you rip your dagger out. The guard's unconscious body plops into the filth at your feet, slowly spilling it's lifeblood into the packed earth.

Elfman said:
Sneak attack damage is added in to the damage of the attack, and the total is compared to the DR.

Interesting (I have a lot more to read in the book yet) - so you don't have to do a finesse attack with sneak attack either?

I'm not sure I like sneak attack damage circumventing DR, but like I noted, I have a lot to read still.

slaughterj said:
Elfman said:

Interesting (I have a lot more to read in the book yet) - so you don't have to do a finesse attack with sneak attack either?

I'm not sure I like sneak attack damage circumventing DR, but like I noted, I have a lot to read still.
This is basic d20 mechanics.

The damage isn't circumventing DR. If the DR was 7 in the above example, then the guard would have taken 8 points of damage. The full DR is still applied; it's just that sneak attack damage is considered to be part of the attack's overall damage.

Back