Small bases

Was wondering if it would be okay for me to use smaller bases for small ships such as the frigates and police cutters especially, as they look look slightly comical on the regular bases.

For friendlies it could possibly be ok, but I seem to remember that different sized bases affected gameplay at short ranges back in the B5 days.

Currently there is only one effect (I can think of) in ACTA SF that actually uses the base itself and that is the limit of not being able to stack ships, i.e. ovelap bases. And even this only specifies ships, not bases! With smaller bases you could pack more ships into a smaller area but not in a way that really effects the rules.
The standard bases are 2" across which gives you a good measure for transport marines! which has a range of 2". If you are touching bases, you are in range!

We've been using small bases for frigates for ages now with no problems!

Geoff

My guess is that the rule about not overlapping is to protect your models! Capital ships can't overlap bases, so you're less likely to bang the actual ship miniatures together. Fighters can sit on ship bases because (at least in B5, I don't know how or if they'll be done in SF) there are six little miniatures on a low metal hexagonal mount, so provided you don't deliberately try to ram it through, it can sit on the ship's base under the ship model. Fighters can't stack on fighters because the hexagonal base would then be sitting on top of the model fighters underneath.

Which means little ships that don't extend much, if at all, over the edge of a small base may as well use the small base. The only disadvantage is that you need to buy small bases separately. :D

It's going the other way which could cause trouble. If you're not allowed to stack bases and you mount your ships on 4" diameter bases, you've just made them immune to transport marines. Other players might not like that very much. :twisted:

I am curious how strict other players are with the no overlapping rule. Quite often we have nacelles and booms overlapping somewhat when they are easy to do. With the large ships in close quarters it can restrict movement quite a bit, when there are many ships in one area, especially if you were to be strict with that rule.

SneakyPete said:
I am curious how strict other players are with the no overlapping rule. Quite often we have nacelles and booms overlapping somewhat when they are easy to do. With the large ships in close quarters it can restrict movement quite a bit, when there are many ships in one area, especially if you were to be strict with that rule.

As far as we read the rules, the ships, meaning the tip of the stand, cannot overlap. We allow bases to freely overlap as the ships are much larger than the actual scale and in fact, occupy about the space taken up by the tip of the stand. We just remove the ships and leave the stands when they get too close.

Back