SimpleQuest

Yes, it looks very good to me.

Scrap extra combat actions/reactions; Remove hit locations; Remove rune integration and call it Battle Magic; Ditch legendary abilities; no bothering with weapon HPs (break on fumbles - nice one, and new to me); Dedicated Pow replaced by good ol' Sacrified Pow; and so on...

All good sensible stuff!

I'm hoping to try out SimpleQuest this weekend at Furnace. If I do get a chance to play it, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi all

Thanks for the kind words.
I was quite apprehensive when I put the web page together that in many ways both it and the preview are almost justifying the game's existance. Nice to hear I'm hitting the spot on many things.

Rurik said:
Kinda like DBRP - only less 348 pages. :)

The very rough version I printed off to use at Furnace, which is just the rules no fluff, weighs in at 90 pages :)

Its kinda MRQ (because its uses the SRD as a base), kinda DBRP (in that it uses some of the simpler straightforward rules, such as acting on Dex for combat and Guilds for Training from RQ2) and with the 'gaps' being filled with new straight foward rules where MRQ and DBRP get too fiddly. It has to be noted as well that unlike DBRP (which from the playtest is a fine game based firmly on oldskool BRP of various flavours) SQ is not a generic game, its firmly a fantasy game supporting Swords and Sorcery.

Currently its in playtest/peer review with an aim of getting it out in early 2008, so if you fancy joining in please contact me at mrnewt@gmail.com.

Wolverine said:
I'm hoping to try out SimpleQuest this weekend at Furnace. If I do get a chance to play it, I'll let you know how I get on.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday night then :D

I am very intrigued by this simplified system.

A few quick questions on combat:

You have stated in the web-preview pdf:
“Combat actions =1 action + 1 one reaction (parry or dodge)”

What if multiple opponents are attacking you? After you dodge or parry the first attack, does the defender have any defenses against the other attacks?

What happens if the defender has two weapons? Does he get additional attacks/reactions?

Also, since this seems to harken back to RQ2/3, can he split his attack/defense if his skill is over 100 as in those games?

Banesfinger said:
You have stated in the web-preview pdf:
“Combat actions =1 action + 1 one reaction (parry or dodge)”

What if multiple opponents are attacking you? After you dodge or parry the first attack, does the defender have any defenses against the other attacks?

If he hasn't already used his attack, he can lose that to get a parry. Otherwise he just grits his teeth. SQ combat is a dangerous and risky affair.

Banesfinger said:
What happens if the defender has two weapons? Does he get additional attacks/reactions?

Either an additional attack or an additional parry.

Rurik said:
Also, since this seems to harken back to RQ2/3, can he split his attack/defense if his skill is over 100 as in those games?

Oh yes! It will also have a Land of Ninja Ki powers style system for Skills over 100% I aim to catter for the over 100s crowd in SQ :)

Well the news on SimpleQuest is that it is coming, either before XMAS or early in the new year. Its going to be completly OGL with a sample adventure and setting. It will be available as a free pdf with the option of buying a softcover/hardcover from Lulu.com if you want a dead tree version. Other publishers will be able to use it since I'll post a text only version on the D101 Games website.

Then its going to be supported by the Shattered Lands setting book, which as well as the basic info about the setting will have a city detailed, cults and an adventure, which its self will be supported by a series of four other source/adventure books.

Then beyond this I have plans of using SQ as an engine for further Fantasy gaming worlds.

See http://www.d101games.co.uk/simplequest.html for more details on SimpleQuest
See http://www.d101games.co.uk/shatteredlands.html for more details on The Shattered Lands

Alas it did not run :(

But I'm going to be running a few more playtest sessions in the coming weeks, and a couple of others outside are as well.

Back