should i start or not

Good Gameplay, which will get better with the release of Evolution next year.

Models available to build and paint, with pre-painted coming out.

Go for it.

The game is great. The company works hard at keeping its customers happy. I would highly recommend it.

The addition of prepainted figures should increase the pool of players. The game is in transition, but that is a good thing.

As one of the most die-hard SST players out there who actively tries to convert people however I can, I will sadly have to tell you to really think about it.

Personally, I'll keep playing the game even if I have to fly to England because the only other players left are mongoose employees. I love this game. It's what miniatures wargaming was always meant to be. MGP is now taking the final step into making it into a true wargame by making it all about the rules and the game. It is no longer going to both a hobby and wargame (as virtually every other miniatures game is). It is going to be a wargame first and a hobby second. If you want to paint, then sure, you can probably paint over the models, but SST was made for the hardcore tactical minded gamer like myself.

That being said, I would like to caution you for a couple reasons...

1) This game IS going through a transition, so it will be even MORE difficult to convert other players. If you don't know at least 1 other player or have someone to play with, I would say that it's probably best to wait until the update (when you'll be able to go from buying a box to playing the game in a matter of minutes)

2) There ARE going to be pre-painted models in the future, so if you really hate painting, waiting might be a good idea.

However, if you do have someone else to play with and don't mind painting yourself, then I'd say go for it. You'll never find a mini's game with better rules, and they're just going to get better and easier in the update.

from what I understand, the core rules are remaining unchanged, just expanded in some areas and clarified in others. So picking the game up now means that you get a head start in learning the rules, you also have the chance to stock up on minis that may not be out for some time for the PPM line, and all their stats will be included in the core rules when they come out next year.

You going to Galecon Lorcan?

As for getting into the game, what are your concerns about getting into it or not. I mean, why are you unsure?

what gave it away? :D:D

I've been staffing Gaelcon for a few years now, this year I'm running an ActA game on the Saturday and my patented giant to robot melee on Sunday.

I wouldnt join yet, wait until the Release of SST Evo next year, otherwise you'll be playing with outmoded rules and buyinf rulebooks/supplements you'll have no use for in 6 months time.

Don't forget, theres nothing stopping him starting an Army.

Army Builder will give him an idea of what to buy, and not all the range will be out straight away.

This whole board is getting so negative (in practically every section).

Seriously.....you know what it needs, Lt?

1134064109468.jpg

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with getting into the game now. Even with starting small it'll be perfectly arlight.

Do not let yourself be dragged down.

SST is a great game - the sooner you start playing, the better.

No other tactical board game reaches SST up to date.

When we see SST/E, damn, it could be getting better. . . .

Seriously...the folks need to just lighten up! So what if you feel all the money you've spent on the game is now worthless.... you're going to be those old elities sods that scoff at you when you show up with your painted miniatures and comment on how you don't use the proper ink washes. We get to be THEM!

Hiromoon said:
Seriously...the folks need to just lighten up! So what if you feel all the money you've spent on the game is now worthless.... you're going to be those old elities sods that scoff at you when you show up with your painted miniatures and comment on how you don't use the proper ink washes. We get to be THEM!

Or simply look at it in a positive light, more people to game with - thats what we all want really - right?

Then (as Hiromoon pointed out) we get to pass on our wisdom, as they marvel at our 'unique' armies.

I for one will probably carry on painting anyway.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Or simply look at it in a positive light, more people to game with - thats what we all want really - right?

I agree. How many people converted from games like 40k because they thought the hobby aspect of SST was better? I can't name any, and I used to play at the LGS ith probably the most SST players anywhere in the northeast.

People play this warGAME because they LIKE the GAME!

Andy Chambers helped write some great rules and now they are being improved upon, and access to the game is being made even easier.

I'm with Hiro here, I'm gonna love playing my Desert themed bugs when everyone else's is black and red. It's like playing 40k, and having 2nd edition pewter marines or Tyranid Monstrous creatures or Original Grey Knights. People look at them and go WHOA that's soooo cool! And then the game progresses even more...

Back