Ship's Locker: Out of the Closet

This-is-a-Revolver_o_65545.jpg

Twenty chamber chain revolver, when you value flexibility in your weapon choices.

Condottiere said:
854x480_161976.jpg

a825236734649018f17de7d7e75136b7.jpg

This would be more stable.

Oh that's an odd bird right there.... different feed mechanisms have been tried.Early firearms designers were willing to try anything. darwin sort of thinned the herd to the basic layouts we have today.

A few I rather like are helical magazines, and the Dardick tround system.they were toyed with at one point but never refined beyond a few models. Both have drawbacks but they are interesting approaches.

As I recall, Dardick system trounds were optimized for the feed system, which if you're using caseless rounds isn't an issue.

On the other hand, caseless propellant molded into triangle would maximize the amount of propellant per round.

dardick_1959.jpg

Condottiere said:
As I recall, Dardick system trounds were optimized for the feed system, which if you're using caseless rounds isn't an issue.

On the other hand, caseless propellant molded into triangle would maximize the amount of propellant per round.

dardick_1959.jpg

It also had mechanical advantages.fewer moving parts for one. It was a much smoother action since there was no slide banging bak and forth, the case took a lot of lot with it when it ejected.If there was a misfire you just pull the trigger again and the gun fires the next round while ejecting the dud. It combined the best features of a revolver while allowing for a much higher magazine capacity.The weapon itself wasn't very well engineered and manufacturing was a bit spotty.

Scale of manufacture, and lack of any large orders, meant that ammo was more expensive and fairly scarce that alone was enough to kill the project. However since by TL-12 you could print your own ammo on demand the ammo wouldn't be that expensive and you could probably have a batch ran off at the nearest industrial 3d printer.

If you can switch which side of the magazine you can load, you can have two different types of ammunition.

At least for the type illustrated.

Considering the short ranges involved, and with improved technology that could contain high pressure, we can make snub pistols be gas pressure propelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCdLIajPHo

Well that was a fun nutty German. I must say I'm a fan of the flechette pistol and SMG in the csc. With the range and speed the snub needs to go I see no reason that it HAS to be a conventional firearm. With a 20m range using standard firearms almost defeats the object of the exercise. As long as you allow such things as APDS and other types of ammo it's a nasty little beast, close up.

Naked and I'm Afraid It's The Ultimate Survival Gun

IMG_1767-900x600.jpg

While having a twelve gauge long rifle over under skeletal arrangement isn't new, the calibre adapter barrel inserts was a unique twist.

If players have to source locally for ammunition, having a common universal standard for shotguns, allows one to just pick up the appropriate insert when you buy the bullets, assuming you don't buy a locally manufactured firearm at the same time.

It should also mess up forensics, if you dispose of the barrel insert, to avoid any local entanglements after standing your ground, where no one was looking. Seems ideal for a handgun sized variant.

The guns are break open, but you probably could have inserts for other variants, though the exchange process is more complicated.

Discussion of range reminds me of a discussion years ago.

I had just seen Pulp Fiction, and commented on the shootout that was followed by the "divine intervention" conversation. I asked in a discussion forum full of interesting people, and one told a good story. (I skipped all the instances of "allegedly" thatwould apply.)

She's a criminal defense lawyer, and one of her clients was involved in a shootout with police -- I think four police and three or four suspects. They ended up in an alley, and everyone started shooting, at less than ten feet (three meters) range. They all kept on shooting until everyone was out of ammunition -- over a hundred rounds fired. (The police all had 17-round automatics, and I think the suspects had similar handguns.) No one was hit. The police ended up wrestling the suspects to the ground, then arrested them.

Her point was that it doesn't take any divine intervention for a close range shootout to go without any hits. All it takes is people whose aim goes to pieces when there's a lot of noise and confusion, and a little luck so stray bullets don't hit anyone purely by chance.

steve98052 said:
Discussion of range reminds me of a discussion years ago.

I had just seen Pulp Fiction, and commented on the shootout that was followed by the "divine intervention" conversation. I asked in a discussion forum full of interesting people, and one told a good story. (I skipped all the instances of "allegedly" thatwould apply.)

She's a criminal defense lawyer, and one of her clients was involved in a shootout with police -- I think four police and three or four suspects. They ended up in an alley, and everyone started shooting, at less than ten feet (three meters) range. They all kept on shooting until everyone was out of ammunition -- over a hundred rounds fired. (The police all had 17-round automatics, and I think the suspects had similar handguns.) No one was hit. The police ended up wrestling the suspects to the ground, then arrested them.

Her point was that it doesn't take any divine intervention for a close range shootout to go without any hits. All it takes is people whose aim goes to pieces when there's a lot of noise and confusion, and a little luck so stray bullets don't hit anyone purely by chance.

Oh yeah that happens :D Yu can rain for years on how to shoot, have the best training on what to do in a gunfight, but nothing can actually prepare a person for the insanity of a close-range shootout. And odds are that both sides were in a gunfight for the first time. If anyone could actually manage to focus on aiming under that sort of stress, in that sort of confusion I'd be impressed.Tere is a story f George Patton Getting into a good old fashioned shoot out when down in Mexico. He was up against some very bad Hombres...at close range they missed every shot....

these were hardened Pistaleros so they knew their way around a gun, and more than likely had been shot at before.One of the bad guys was Pancho Villas bodyguard....so yeah they knew what they were doing.... But that day they just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Kitty Littered

catching_snowball.jpg

The Aslan learned the hard way not to fight humans in zero gee, when they were introduced to the rocket propelled snowball.

1445167429553.jpg

This represents to me the perfect adventure gun.

Though you should add in suppressor, laser sight, scope, and gyrostabilizer.

An advanced enough shotgun shell ensures you don't really need a grenade launcher.

I'd add in a side saddle for additional ammunition, perhaps specific purpose shells.

Condottiere said:
1445167429553.jpg

This represents to me the perfect adventure gun.

Though you should add in suppressor, laser sight, scope, and gyrostabilizer.

An advanced enough shotgun shell ensures you don't really need a grenade launcher.

I'd add in a side saddle for additional ammunition, perhaps specific purpose shells.

Optics on a shotgun are a bit wasted. the engagement range is so close a good flashlight can do the trick. the laser sight yeah I can see that. Shotguns n general are highly under rated.... and usually nerfed all to perdition in most games.

Fifty yards is sort of an expected range, but shotguns can be used beyond that.

General purpose weapons platform, with the ammunition defining the role.

Condottiere said:
Fifty yards is sort of an expected range, but shotguns can be used beyond that.

General purpose weapons platform, with the ammunition defining the role.

Ive seen guys take down deer at over 100 yards withthe proper setup. So yeah you can use them out to longerranges.

I generally go with a three gun set up. Pistol, shotgun, rifle Add in a knife, a couple of grenades and a disposable rocket launcher as needed and there are not many combat situations you can't handle. Of course, walking around town with this load out tends to draw some serious police attention, so making due with an auto pistol, or heavy revolver is a good option.

Back