Ship Viewer 2e features?

Burger

Cosmic Mongoose
Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any features you'd like to see in the 2nd edition ship viewer. Currently the changes that will be implemented are:

- Shields panel added for those ships with the trait
- Aux craft can be swapped for other types, and Drakh Raiders assigned to carrier/mothership
- Shadows and Vorlons will have trait tickboxes since they now take crits
- Permanent traits won't have tickboxes since they can't be lost

If there's anything else you'd like, let me know. I can't promise to implement all ideas of course, but let me know them now, and I'll see what I can do :)

lastbesthope said:
Burger said:
- Aux craft can be swapped for other types, and Drakh Raiders assigned to carrier/mothership

You mean your shipviewer doesn't already do that????? :shock: :lol:
No, it was quite hard to get it working in a database environment. But having it use a database rather than just hard-coded HTML means I can add new ships or correct mistakes within seconds :lol:

I was just messing Burger, my shipviewer is a little out of date, well the online version is, I have most of the updates done offline.

LBH

No, it was quite hard to get it working in a database environment. But having it use a database rather than just hard-coded HTML means I can add new ships or correct mistakes within seconds

Actually, it should be pretty easy depending on your level of confidence in ASP programming. Did you create the ViewShip.asp or did you have MS Access auto generate it for you? Also, how are you storing the relationship between a ship and the fighters it carries? Do you just have a single field named "craft" that has something like "Starfury (2)" in it or is it more broken out than that?

Obsidian said:
Actually, it should be pretty easy depending on your level of confidence in ASP programming.
Well I do it as a job so pretty confident ;)

Obsidian said:
Did you create the ViewShip.asp or did you have MS Access auto generate it for you?
Auto-generate? Herecy!!!

Obsidian said:
Also, how are you storing the relationship between a ship and the fighters it carries? Do you just have a single field named "craft" that has something like "Starfury (2)" in it or is it more broken out than that?
Its just "Starfury (2)<BR>Thunderbolt (2)" - same with Traits. Keeps it simple on the database end. So the craft editing code is all just string manipulation really. A bit messy but not too challenging, truth is I couldn't be bothered to do a load of string manipuklation code until now. But now, it's all working... it will be released with the 2e version update.

Well I do it as a job so pretty confident

Ah well that's good. Any chance you're working in Bristol? My current company has an office there and it would be funny if it turns out we work for the same place...

But now, it's all working... it will be released with the 2e version update.

Good to hear.

Don't envy you doing the 1st to 2nd Convert, are there any ships with same stats!! but thanks very much in advance if you can do!!!

best wishes :D

Da Boss said:
good luck to all you guys (shipviewers etc) that put in the work - must be immense! :)

Yeah, if only I hadn't bought the Narn fleet box all those years ago, I'd have been spared the effort :lol:

LBH

Yeah, if only I hadn't bought the Narn fleet box all those years ago, I'd have been spared the effort

No good deed goes unpunished LBH... :wink:

As for the typing up of the new data, I would suggest an appeal to the community. Worked fabulously with the combat sim and I'm sure people would be more than happy to help out for the second edition stuff.

Burger, if you define a format for a CSV it will be super easy for people to type up the info and then you can import it directly into your database.

Mine'll probably accept copy/paste from a PDF ;)

I can send the Access database out to anyone who wants it though, you'll have all the same typos and mistakes as I do!

Back