Ship Help

Rhonin84

Mongoose
I have a whole new crew to Traveller and we are playing 2e, I am looking for a Jump 4 merchant ship? I haven't played in a long time and I was never good at putting ships together. Any help?

Using the Subsidised Merchant as inspiration I get something like this:

Using a 400 Dton streamlined hull, it has performance of jump-4 and 2 g acceleration. There is fuel tankage of 170 Dton, enough for 4 weeks and jump-4.
The ship has a bridge with holographic controls. Adjacent to the bridge are a m/20 and a m/10/bis computer. The sensor suite include an improved sensor.
There are 19 staterooms, nine low berths, and five tons of common areas. There is an autodoc.
There are two turrets.
There is a Launch in a Docking Clamp.
Cargo capacity is 29 Dton. The ship requires a crew of nine: a pilot, an astrogator, three engineers, two service crew, and two gunners. The ship costs MCr 188,7.

Apart from the cargo hold it's basically a Subsidised Merchant so use those deck plans.

Special features:

The Launch is external, so the entire ship is 420 Dt: 400 Dt hull + 20 Dt launch.

A cargo crane system helps automate loading and unloading.

Fuel capacity is flexible: It can operate at J-4 with 29 Dt cargo, at J-3 with 71 Dt cargo, or J-2 with 113 Dt cargo. (A Demountable Tank can be removed to add another 42 Dt cargo space, decreasing jump range by 1.)

A computer m/20 can support J-4, the backup m/10bis computer can only support J-3 (but it's cheap).

A couple of turrets have been added; add weapons to taste.

Somehow an improved sensor suite (DM+1) and a decent software catalog has been added over the years.

Radiation Shielding gives extra protection against the hazards of space (and some weapons).

Repair Drones can help maintain the ship, perhaps they can replace one or two engineers if the adventurers are not that type.

y1zfL4g.png

In the Traveller tradition it's barely profitable, to encourage the crew to take side missions:
BTk22pt.png

Arkathan said:
There's two designers I've seen on this forum. Mine (Excel Ship Designer) and the other one (I can't remember the name, but a search should work.
Try those and see if designing becomes easier.

Meanwhile, what specs do you need? Tonnage? Passengers? What can they afford?

Record Sheet:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...9583057006/Really_Far_Trader_Record_Sheet.pdf
Designer file:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/860343622498779139/933429389813776394/Really_far_trader.xlsx

I was just shooting for anything the most important part was the Jump 4, story is going to handle the rest of it...

AnotherDilbert said:
Using the Subsidised Merchant as inspiration I get something like this:

Using a 400 Dton streamlined hull, it has performance of jump-4 and 2 g acceleration. There is fuel tankage of 170 Dton, enough for 4 weeks and jump-4.
The ship has a bridge with holographic controls. Adjacent to the bridge are a m/20 and a m/10/bis computer. The sensor suite include an improved sensor.
There are 19 staterooms, nine low berths, and five tons of common areas. There is an autodoc.
There are two turrets.
There is a Launch in a Docking Clamp.
Cargo capacity is 29 Dton. The ship requires a crew of nine: a pilot, an astrogator, three engineers, two service crew, and two gunners. The ship costs MCr 188,7.

Apart from the cargo hold it's basically a Subsidised Merchant so use those deck plans.

Special features:

The Launch is external, so the entire ship is 420 Dt: 400 Dt hull + 20 Dt launch.

A cargo crane system helps automate loading and unloading.

Fuel capacity is flexible: It can operate at J-4 with 29 Dt cargo, at J-3 with 71 Dt cargo, or J-2 with 113 Dt cargo. (A Demountable Tank can be removed to add another 42 Dt cargo space, decreasing jump range by 1.)

A computer m/20 can support J-4, the backup m/10bis computer can only support J-3 (but it's cheap).

A couple of turrets have been added; add weapons to taste.

Somehow an improved sensor suite (DM+1) and a decent software catalog has been added over the years.

Radiation Shielding gives extra protection against the hazards of space (and some weapons).

Repair Drones can help maintain the ship, perhaps they can replace one or two engineers if the adventurers are not that type.

y1zfL4g.png

In the Traveller tradition it's barely profitable, to encourage the crew to take side missions:
BTk22pt.png

This is awesome and I think this will work!! I have three or four players and they don't mind playing troupe style. The ship is not supposed to make them rich but part of a settlement that they are going to win...I can't say thanks enough!!

1. Customized or canonized starship design?

2. As the dungeon master, you need to at least make available a starship that the players can use to survive the adventure.

3. Very few commercial vessels have a factor four jump drive, so you may be looking at a fast freighter, or a yacht.

4. Decommissioned (and demilitarized) courier or corvette.

Condottiere said:
1. Customized or canonized starship design?

2. As the dungeon master, you need to at least make available a starship that the players can use to survive the adventure.

3. Very few commercial vessels have a factor four jump drive, so you may be looking at a fast freighter, or a yacht.

4. Decommissioned (and demilitarized) courier or corvette.

Thanks I think what Dilbert has done fits what I was looking for. I as the GM need to understand better what all of that means but it will be a little time before they have it. This gives me what I need and thus IMTU the Sandfly Class has been born!

Rhonin84 said:
Thanks I think what Dilbert has done fits what I was looking for. I as the GM need to understand better what all of that means but it will be a little time before they have it. This gives me what I need and thus IMTU the Sandfly Class has been born!

Happy to help!

agentwigggles said:
Are you sure you want J4?
Is there a story reason for it?
For a typical game, J2 is very sufficient.

Agreed that usually Jump 2 would be sufficient but one of my players is going to be bringing his dead sister back to the Sword Worlds, this is a journey that will take 17 weeks minimum at Jump 4...more since they will be Merchanting along the way.

Back