Shattered Dreams aka Victory in 4 parts.

JayRaider

Mongoose
One of my Victory's broke off its stand, fell to the floor and broke apart a couple of minutes ago.
This is the third time the stand has broken.
I don't have the skills to do the cool bases others have shown on the forum.
The terrible realization has hit me that all the ships i've bought from Mongoose, which are waiting in the boxes, will only bring me frustration, and massive disappointment.
Fleet action scale here i come.

Rather than waste all that stuff you've bought, you should have better luck with the new metal stands (available on the website) :) I hate the plastic ones too...

Small metal flying bases:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1325&qsSeries=28

Large metal flying bases
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1326&qsSeries=28

Thank you for your post!
There is light at the end of the tunnel :D
They should work alot better!

Is GW's (spits) Pin vice set suitable for ACTA models? To enlarge the hole in the ships?

JayRaider said:
Is GW's (spits) Pin vice set suitable for ACTA models? To enlarge the hole in the ships?

It works well for enlarging existing holes, but I'm not patient enough to use it to make new ones in metal - I prefer to use a small handheld electric drill (similar to a Dremel) and use the pin vice bits in that (it came with relatively large drill bits).

A quick Dremmel (or equivalent) drill or a pin vice will do nicely for enlarging the holes. Then simply chop the top of the stand off and you have a huge "peg" to slip into the ship's hole. Works well for me, requires only a little skill and is pretty quick to do to an entire fleet.

i make my own holes in my ships (and hand) and fill the other holes with greenstuff.

How does it go matt? "A lot of filling sometimes needed"

Itkovian said:
No need to go to the Evil Empire for Pin Vices and so on, a quick search on Ebay will find plenty!

Or just go to your local hardware store, Pin vises were around a long time before miniatures gaming.

LBH

Hmm, I am worried that the stem on the metal base would bend under the weight of something as big as the Victory. :? Has anyone tried them yet?

I am currently experimenting with rare earth magnets to fix my ships to their bases. I used this trick for my 40K skimmers and it works really well.

need a few, i tried it and couldnt get the things to balance. the ships being metal makes it harder for even rare earth magnets to hold on a stem.

Karhedron said:
Hmm, I am worried that the stem on the metal base would bend under the weight of something as big as the Victory. :? Has anyone tried them yet?
I've never actually seen a ful-scale VCD, but metal bases, even the common white metal, will stand up to a lot of weight, so long as it's in compression. So long as you get the mini anywhere near balanced, and don't wave it around while holding on to the base (I've seen it done), they should be OK for bending. Personally I'd still go for brass rod.

Wulf

I have both sizes of metal base, and I know how much a VCD weighs, I think the larger metal base will take the weight fine, it might even hold a Poseidon.

LBH

Without, and more importantly outwith.

none of my VCDs came in their own box, an envelope for my S&P subscription freebie, and the other 2 in the ISA box.

LBH

Back