Shadizar Boxed Set Map?

A

Anonymous

I feel ripped off, you can download the same city map for free from the Wizards of the Coast website! What gives? :x

Warhoonslayer,

Could you possibly provide a link to said map? Given that the map in Shadizar is quite specific to the layout of that city (and to specific ip), it seems unlikely that Wizards of the Coast are providing it as a download on their website, but I'm willing to give you the opportunity to prove me wrong.

They certainly shouldn't be providing the same map.

I've just had a look and indeed you are correct.

We were not aware of what the artist who drew the Shadizar map had done. We are looking into this right now.

here's the link
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archive2003

it's calld "Canal City of Mystery"

You guys are taking on to many projects!

Hi guys,

So everybody knows, it looks as if we have been led seriously astray by one of our artists. Mongoose unreservedly condemns any such behaviour and you can rest assured that we are contacting WoTC regarding this.

For now I'd appreciate everybody holding fire on making any wild assumptions and leave us to sort the matter out. This is one that got past us but in many cases as you can imagine we have to trust the honesty of our artists.

That city looks too small, clean and planned for the Shadrizar I imagined, frankly. It needs more signs of icons, idols and blasphemies. Sure it's fine to force slaves to dig canals, but wouldn't it be better to dig canals and then line them with the likenesses of sub-human deities? With each cult trying to horrify their neighbour's totems into docility... (A fifteen foot statue to Zog the Taint? We're going to lose worshippers unless we build an eighteen foot idol to Xathgaar. And let's make him look like he's getting ready to eat Zog.)

I like the idea of a canal city, though. Is that from REH?

VincentDarlage said:
sbarrie said:
I like the idea of a canal city, though. Is that from REH?

No. I don't recall describing the city as a canal city in the text, either. I didn't even put a waterfront district in the city at all.

?

So is the "Canal City of Mystery" map not the one used in the Shadrizar boxed set, or did the artist not read the project guidelines?

sbarrie said:
So is the "Canal City of Mystery" map not the one used in the Shadrizar boxed set, or did the artist not read the project guidelines before pulling a premade map out of his collection?

Apparently the artist didn't read anything about Shadizar before pulling out his premade map. Hopefully this is not the artist who did Messantia's map also.

Who was the artist? I'm going to be looking for a cartographer for a project and want to make sure I don't inadvertantly contact this artist, who has proven he can't be trusted. Please PM it to me.

Based on this thread I'm being led to believe that the boxed set was printed and shipped with an incorrect city map? Is an oversight this large really possible?

Is this for real?
I have just ordered the Shadizar box set, and now your telling me that the map is wrong, and nobody checked? Whats going on????? :(

gav said:
Is this for real?
I have just ordered the Shadizar box set, and now your telling me that the map is wrong, and nobody checked? Whats going on????? :(

What are they supposed to do? Check every map ever made before printing something? One would assume a map submitted by an artist is not stolen from another source or used previously in another context. Mongoose was duped by an unscrupulous "artist". Anger should be reserved for that [expletive deleted] who submitted a spurious map.

gav said:
Is this for real?

I was a proofreader on the project, but never saw the map in question. (I only looked at the books.)

In Mongoose's defense, it is extremely difficult to imagine any process by which they can check something like a map to see if it has been re-used from another source.

They contract an artist, who provides a work of art for them. It is implicitly assumed that the contractor is not providing work that has been previously published, especially to a competitor.

If such a thing is even attempted, it should be spelled-out in the contract and approved by both parties well in advance, and usually the rate is substantially lower than one gets for providing new work.

VincentDarlage said:
gav said:
Is this for real?

What are they supposed to do? Check every map ever made before printing something? One would assume a map submitted by an artist is not stolen from another source or used previously in another context. Mongoose was duped by an unscrupulous "artist". Anger should be reserved for that [expletive deleted] who submitted a spurious map.

This thread implies that the map is one of a canal city. You are claiming that the Shadizar book does not even mention water or canals or anything. If this is true, I think everyone we absolutely have the right to be upset with Mongoose. Of course they are supposed to check every map before printing. Why wouldn't they? If you told me right now that Mongoose's policy is that they do not doublecheck every map before printing, I would never buy another Mongoose product again.

Jason Durall said:
In Mongoose's defense, it is extremely difficult to imagine any process by which they can check something like a map to see if it has been re-used from another source.

I realize that this is tough, but that is not the main issue in my opinion. My issue is with the fact that the map is one of a canal city, when Shadizar is not a canal city. Checking that a map has been used elsewhere is tough. Checking that the map actually depicts the city described in the text is easy

Tell you what, Mongoose. Give me a complimentary copy of Shadizar, and I'll make a nice map for you. :p

/no credentials
/Where's my AutoREALM?

Seriously, though, I was very happy with Mongoose's actions to rectify the poor initial printing of the core book, and I'm sure they'll fix this too, given time.

Btw, Vincent isn't screwing with the quotations. I edited my last post while he was quoting me.

Agreed, but wouldnt someone have checked before the map is printed just out of interest in the product. Or does the artist get a brief of whats needed and then the map is printed and put in the boxes without mongoose looking at the finished product based on trust. This is not a critisism, I am genuinely interested. If this is the case then the artist responsible deserves everything he gets :evil:

gav said:
Or does the artist get a brief of whats needed and then the map is printed and put in the boxes without mongoose looking at the finished product based on trust.

This would be an insane policy.

Back