Serpent Class Scout

Nuke16

Mongoose
In MgT 2e, does the Serpent class have variable sweep wings? There is nothing indicating this other than the drawing shows they might sweep back, but the plans do not indicate this or anywhere else that I can see.

You have to go back to Scouts and Assassins and JTAS #2 to find the original intent that the wings are moveable.

Last edited:
IMTU
In MgT 2e, does the Serpent class have variable sweep wings? There is nothing indicating this other than the drawing shows they might sweep back, but the plans do not indicate this or anywhere else that I can see.

You have to go back to Scouts and Assassins and JTAS #2 to find the original intent that the wings are moveable.
IMTU they always have. If you want to get picky about it you can allocate tonnage to the sweep machinery, but the Serpent Type S will always have 'Aardvark wings'.

What’s the benefit? Besides being pretty cool, I mean. Spacecraft don’t use Shipping Tons like vehicles do… Pilot DMs maybe?

I've always counted the aerodynamic tonnage as including rotation/contraction/retraction/fold mechanisms.
Needed to fit into hangar bays without taking up room needed for other ships/cargo loaders/repair crews.

It's equipped with Aerofins:
Aerofins
Extendible aerofins improve a spacecraft’s manoeuvrability in atmosphere, giving a far greater degree of control over its movements.

A ship with aerofins deployed gains DM+2 to all Pilot checks when within an Atmosphere.

Aerofins consume 5% of the ship’s tonnage, and cost MCr0.1 per ton.
Presumably that is the swing-wing mechanism?

What’s the benefit? Besides being pretty cool, I mean. Spacecraft don’t use Shipping Tons like vehicles do… Pilot DMs maybe?
Aerodynamically speaking, straight wings are generally [but not always] more stable in high winds and slower flight speeds. This allows them to take off and land on shorter runways and use less fuel while doing it. The converse is also true... straight wings produce more drag than slanted wings and therefore slanted wingforms allow greater speed.

What does that all mean in a Traveller sense, what with contragravity and thrusters? The IISS builds their ships to operate under the widest possible range of conditions. Some Type C Starports double as the local airport and so I could see a small Imperial ship communicating with the tower and getting into the stack of aircraft waiting to land on a runway. And be just as annoyed with being stuck behind some Antonov like mega hauler that's so big that it changes the weather when it lands! :LOL:

IMTU

IMTU they always have. If you want to get picky about it you can allocate tonnage to the sweep machinery, but the Serpent Type S will always have 'Aardvark wings'.
Lets say I'm new to the game and just bought the core book and high guard or just the starter edition. How do they know it has swing wings?

The problem is some information is written with the assumption you have played the games for years and years.

Lets say I'm new to the game and just bought the core book and high guard or just the starter edition. How do they know it has swing wings?

The problem is some information is written with the assumption you have played the games for years and years.
Yeah, I can see that point. I'm a fan of a couple games that have a large 'old grog' quotient and it's easy to assume that most folks you talk to on the boards are 'ancient Travellers' like you are. Sorry about that.
The Serpent Type S was originally presented to us back in the 80s in an 'Approved for Use with Traveller' supplement called 'Scouts and Assassins'. It was fairly popular at the time as it was very different from the standard wedge hulled Suleiman-class Type S. I should also note that variable geometry wing shapes [aka 'swing wings'] were a thing in the era, with the USAF's F-111 Aardvark, the USN's F-14 Tomcat, and the Soviet MiG-23 and -27 aircraft.

The Serpent Type S was originally presented to us back in the 80s in an 'Approved for Use with Traveller' supplement called 'Scouts and Assassins'. It was fairly popular at the time as it was very different from the standard wedge hulled Suleiman-class Type S.
The Serpent first appeared in JTAS. The response was strong enough to lead to the formation of Paranoia Press and publication of Scouts & Assassins, among other things.
The Serpent also pre-dates the Sulieman in print. At the time, the wedge Scout was still the Judges Guild version, which is not a Sulie. The Sulie wouldn't completely separate itself from the JG version until the 81 edition of Classic. Most of that early JTAS artwork of the Scout is the JG version. Even the presentation in Traders & Gunboats is a hybrid, with Sulie plans but JG art. The big panels and lack of all but the central airlock on the rear is the give away.

Back