Secrets of the Ancients - The Death of Grandfather out

AndrewW

Emperor Mongoose
As a surprise for all fans of Traveller, we have just posted the seventh adventure in the Secrets of the Ancients campaign, ominously entitled The Death of Grandfather.

Adventure-writer supremo, Gareth Hanrahan, polished off this adventure much quicker than we expected, and so we wasted no time delivering it to you! Gareth has also completed the eighth adventure, and is currently working on the final two, bringing this campaign to an exciting climax.

After that..? Well, we have already started discussing a brand new campaign, and it is going to be a real corker!

All good stuff.

The players in my campaign were scared beyond rationality and bladder control when I presented them with The Prop - a boxfile containing literally a ream of paper, which I described as "Grandfather's Monologue," before revealing that all the pages were blank - except for the last page, showing a crude facsimile of an ageing Droyne blowing a raspberry at the players.

Then I began running Six. This one's early arrival will give me time to prep.

That boxfile made a really satisfying thump when I dropped it on the table ...

Having read all of the parts so far, including this one, I have to say that I am really enjoying just as a work of fiction. I am not running this as a game, but it is a riproaring yarn with lots of twists and turns.

Personally, I would add a picture of Caol and one of the PCs from Part 6 to the collection, maybe even let the PCs roll to see if they recognize him from Part 6. THAT would blow their minds I'm sure.

This adventure is SO MUCH better than the original. Sure, the PCs are being railroaded a bit, but it makes sense within the story.

Good Job!

Excellent stuff!

I really don't want to sound like I'm looking the proverbial gift ponii in the mouth, but did the last page get clipped off? Or is that really the last text in the whole adventure?

hdan said:
Excellent stuff!

I really don't want to sound like I'm looking the proverbial gift ponii in the mouth, but did the last page get clipped off? Or is that really the last text in the whole adventure?
The sentence ended in an ellipsis, inferring a continuation in the next episode.

Blast, I completely misunderstood the original quote - for some reason I read "polished off this adventure much quicker than we expected" as "brought the whole campaign to a close unexpectedly in part 7".

DOH! <must work on reading comprehension skills...>

Looks good!

Just thought of a cool situation for this:

Spoiler: (Highlight to view)

The flyer does get destroyed over the crater and the players have to bail out with parachutes.
One or more players will not make it to the edge but land inside the molten crater.
The player with the grav belt has to save them.
(Hopefully it was not used to fix the flier!)

Really, really good.

This series has been brilliant to date. I particularly liked the little comment about Caol - ended up running with it; when they mentioned the memory downloads, the gun he handed was the fusion pistol the Gvorr player had spent the previous adventure (over)using, complete with 'kill' scratches in the grip.

"Wait a minute.....how old is this gun, exactly?"
"No idea. Does it still work?"
[Levels nearby building]
"Yup, seems to."

Oh, and it is an acknowledged fact that any setting becomes better with zombies.

Gareth Hanrahan is one dangerous chabbifi (I just love his Vagr loan words)! Like others, I found his "Secrets of The Ancients" a real page-turner, and it's free.

The descriptions are vivid and full of exotic details. The plot is very dramatic, full of twists and turns. The NPCs have what the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation would call "Real people personalities" in spades. Every major NPC is described with entertaining guidance on how to play them, including voices and expressions. That is such a brilliant approach that I will be copying it.

Where does he get his great variety of ideas from? One episode the PCs are wandering the mean streets of Regina dealing with the criminal underworld, the next they are searching a jungle world for a secret base (and turning Imperial Marines into charcoal). Episode 6 contains an entire rule variant for epic adventures in the deep past - how cool is that? Surely Gareth must have had his Int enhanced beyond the normal human maximum? :)

The campaign is so interesting it would be worth playing solitaire. What shines through it are Gareth's knowledge and love for Traveller. (Even the Primordials get a mention.) Fedic Jocan should recommend Gareth for a medal for services to Traveller, and not just to annoy the clerks.

l_c_jackson said:
Where does he get his great variety of ideas from?

Maybe some of them came from threads and posts here about Grandfather.

He lied a lot in the past and look how it finally caught up to him. And like tried to tell you before, he's not the only one around in the galaxy.

He is (was) trying to keep a low profile because he is actually the little bully on the block and the bigger ones, want payback time. :)

Darn it. Grandfather must have still have some personal robots running around somewhere still blocking my statements of truth.

(sigh)

Dave Chase

Back