Samurai of Legend - In Print!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The latest supplement for Legend, Samurai of Legend, is now in print. Like all core Legend books, it is 100% Open Content.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/legend/legend/samurai-of-legend.html

Set in the Heian Period of Japanese history, when the Shinto faith was starting to give way to Buddhism, when the Samurai were making their climb to power, in a land of legends; Samurai of Legend is a complete setting, designed for those of you who enjoy a huge pile of reality mixed in with your fantasy.

Included are new professions and backgrounds along with advice on creating exciting characters, with which to explore this fascinating period. Also an in-depth look at the Shinto and Buddhist faiths, along with the variety of other factors that influenced life in Japan at this time. Predominantly, this book covers the rise of the Samurai and other martial classes and even gives the option of introducing Ninjas… not technically of this period but a whole lot of fun to utilise none the less!

Encounter the monsters and myths that have been the stuff of legend for over a millennium. Experience the Imperial life or that of a Samurai. Understand the importance of defending the honour of you and yours – no matter what it costs.

Don't forget the free adventure available for Samurai of Legend, Beneath an Opal Moon, which you can grab from the link above!

samurailegend.jpg

And I had fun reading it!

The interesting thing is that with Samurai of Legend and the Three Kingdoms Guide from Mystical Throne, we are close to having enough material to design a 'generic' oriental fantasy setting - anyone for Swords and Sorcery adventure in an eastern setting with influences from Chinese and Japanese cinema? ;)

Add in the 2 Alephtar Games supplements for BRP - The Celestial Empire and Dragon Lines and you have a well rounded Eastern martial arts game.

If this game is actually in print, then why isn't Alliance filling my pre-orders for this product?
We have a customer that pre-ordered this game in June 2012, when it was solicited in Game Trade Magazine, but the Alliance Website still lists the release date as January 2020.

What is the deal?

Anton Dovydaitis
Adventures in Comics and Games
Carmichael, CA 95608

Prime_Evil said:
And I had fun reading it!

The interesting thing is that with Samurai of Legend and the Three Kingdoms Guide from Mystical Throne, we are close to having enough material to design a 'generic' oriental fantasy setting - anyone for Swords and Sorcery adventure in an eastern setting with influences from Chinese and Japanese cinema? ;)

Yep, sounds great to me :)

Smeelbo said:
If this game is actually in print, then why isn't Alliance filling my pre-orders for this product?
We have a customer that pre-ordered this game in June 2012, when it was solicited in Game Trade Magazine, but the Alliance Website still lists the release date as January 2020.

What is the deal?

Good question.

This book (and several others) have had fairly short print runs thus far and have gone into distribution only in the UK. They will be reaching the US and rest of the world over the next few months but if you have customers waiting, drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com, and we'll sort you out!

Hmmmm....does that mean that those of us who are international customers would be better off buying these products directly from Mongoose rather than going through the normal retail distribution channels in our own countries? Assuming we are keen to keep our Legend collection up to date ;)

Prime_Evil said:
Hmmmm....does that mean that those of us who are international customers would be better off buying these products directly from Mongoose rather than going through the normal retail distribution channels in our own countries? Assuming we are keen to keep our Legend collection up to date ;)

If you want them right now, yes.

Hmmm...I wonder if this announcement and the discussion of the revised Spider God's Bride imply that Mongoose is moving fully towards POD for RPG products? I suppose it might cut overheads and make good economic sense when margins are tight. It does have the advantage that the print runs never truly end, allowing Mongoose to keep their entire back catalogue in print indefinitely (except where licencing agreements prohibit this, of course). But I'd worry about the quality of the product and the impact of traditional distribution channels (especially the remaining bricks-and-mortar stores).

Prime_Evil said:
Oriental Sword & Sorcery sounds good to me, but "Katanas & Kimonos" sounds better ;)

Smeelbo said:

What is the deal?

Anton Dovydaitis
Adventures in Comics and Games
Carmichael, CA 95608
It is still the case that Samurai of Legend is unavailable from Alliance Games.

If it is the case that U.S. Distributors cannot get this product, then it was not appropriate to offer it to them.
It is not appropriate to solicit orders for a product through a distribution channel that you know in advance that
you will not be supplying to that channel. You are, in effect, soliciting the customers of other businesses
(Alliance Games, other distributors and various game store) without the knowledge or permission of those businesses. This is not an ethical business practice.

Anton Dovydaitis

Smeelbo said:
If it is the case that U.S. Distributors cannot get this product, then it was not appropriate to offer it to them.

Not to state the obvious, but to supply a distributor, they have to order the book first...

Back