Sailing the Seas of Blood

The Warlord

Mongoose
So for my next few adventures, I'm gonna have the characters take to the high seas and tap my Pirate Isles book. I'm thinking about buying a few packs of tha Pirates of the Spanish Main game from wizkids as ship counters for the tactics before boarding actions. However, the ships aren't really designed like Hyborian age vessels. I'll probably need to cut and reglue some sails in different areas.

Anyone have any experiences with these cardboard boats? How thick are the ships? Will they hold up to slight conversions? Any other ideas for ship minis?

The Warlord said:
Anyone have any experiences with these cardboard boats? How thick are the ships? Will they hold up to slight conversions? Any other ideas for ship minis?

I don't think they're cardboard - they're plastic (like a thicker version of a credit card) - or so I am told from someone who plays the game.

I can imagine they'll be slightly modifiable, but then, you'd likely lose the "disassemble and put back in card" feature.

Any reasonably sized model kit store will probably have some small sailing ships that might be called to use for such activities, but the Pirates ones are probably the cheapest and most accessible.

Wow, looks like you get two ships and some small islands for $4! Can't beat that.

King, are there canons painted on the sides of these boats? Can't tell.

Looks like I may have to trim the bottoms as well, so the ships are a little lower, or smaller.

There are cannons in the rules but only cannon ports visible on the figures (call them port holes). You can pretty much use them straight out of the pack. The most important thing is that they come in a nice variety of sizes (The smallest ships actually come packed with the largest). If you want a rowed vessel, just remove the masts.

Each mast is considered a cannon. There are two red dice (I think) that represent the number needed to hit another ship. The masts are easily replaceable with other ships.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/ <---- has more detail. Great ship selection too.

Been awhile since I last played this. Spent $8. Don't wish to get back into "Magic" frenzy, like I did in the 90s.....evil magic cards....just like picts...destroy them all...err...nm

Back