Running Safari Ship Adventure

I'm planning to run the Classic Traveller adventure Safari Ship for a small group of players. Looking at the adventure, I'm wondering what advice others who have run the adventure before have on it.

The core adventure seems pretty single-minded, but there look to be a few opportunities for quick side quests while between jumps toward 567-908. From what I can tell, the players should have to stop at at least 4 systems. What kinds of distractions have other Referees implemented? Do you find players generally try to go as quickly as possible or do they like to take detours?

As far as the main story, how do you portray the revelations? I was considering doing a few excursions or side stories related to the gemstones, among other things, to drive the big reveals home more. Also, I was thinking of adding more of a subplot (if the players even notice it) involving the corporate politics. Maybe a spy on board for Naasirka, maybe one Thingvellir is completely aware of.

Also, there's no hunting skill, so maybe I could just make it a profession?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Hunting is kind of a combination of Recon, Stealth, Survival, Navigation, Gun Combat and perhaps Animals. Hard to be good at all of those, but those skills seem to cover it.

As for the lead-up, District 268 Subsector has a lot going on. It’s an unincorporated subsector but has lots of Imperial client states in it. SuSAG is making psionic drugs on Tarsus. There’s a failed starship construction firm on Binges. Collace and Trexalon are in a Cold War that might spill into a broader conflict. Perhaps one of those situations might feed your prologue.

paltrysum said:
Hunting is kind of a combination of Recon, Stealth, Survival, Navigation, Gun Combat and perhaps Animals. Hard to be good at all of those, but those skills seem to cover it.

As for the lead-up, District 268 Subsector has a lot going on. It’s an unincorporated subsector but has lots of Imperial client states in it. SuSAG is making psionic drugs on Tarsus. There’s a failed starship construction firm on Binges. Collace and Trexalon are in a Cold War that might spill into a broader conflict. Perhaps one of those situations might feed your prologue.

I appreciate the response. I think my issue with places like Tarasus or Binges or Collace is that they are out of the route to 567-908 from Mertactor. The first adventure that comes to mind that is in Mongoose 2e is High and Dry, which is on Walston, but really doesn't fit the scenario. But I may be able to pull from Beltstrike or the Bowman Arm book.

One problem I come across is it's unclear to me why the travellers are necessary in the final mission of repairing the road for the Shriekers. According to the book, you are leading a large group of 1000 workers to fix the road, but you aren't carrying them, they go on foot. So why are the travellers necessary if the Shriekers are going to repair it themselves traveling on foot, anyway? I'm wondering how others have explained this. It's just not totally clear what the travellers provide or how their technology is beneficial.

Back