RuneQuest Newbie

GameHermit

Mongoose
Hello Everyone!

I'm really embarrassed for asking this but I'm relatively new to this system. I have the RQ Pocket, Golanthra and GM Screen but it's not for RQ II. So basically I want to purchase the latest release of the game but am a little confused about what I need to buy to get my group into RQ. Are the RQ II books the latest and greatest version and what books are necessary to play? I remember seeing RQ III online a few years ago...so I'm just trying to make sure I get the right stuff.

Also...are there any adventures for sale for RQ II?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this with me.

Jack

The new RQII is pretty new, I don't think there are any adventures out for it yet, but the first edition rules are close enough that you could run scenarios written for that without changing much. Even scenarios written for the old Chaosium/Avalon Hill editions of the game are mostly compatible, it's all the same stats, and the skills and spell lists are very similar. All you'd need to add to the stats are Persistence and Resilience, and use Dodge as Evade, I suppose. Not that I've tried it.

RuneQuest III is the old Avalon Hill edition of the game, Mongoose reset the numbering when they got the licence. There was a second edition of RuneQuest published by Chaosium back in around 1980 which everyone called RQ2, which is another source of confusion for some of us old-timers, although the name RQ2 only really came into use when third edition came out, they were all just called "RuneQuest" officially.

GameHermit, to answer your question, RuneQuest II from Mongoose is indeed "the latest and greatest" version of the game. All you actually need is the Core Rulebook. Get a handle on Character Creation, Game System, Combat and Common Magic and you're ready to run a game. I don't suggest you inflict Cults, Spirit Magic and Sorcery on beginning players! There are 20 creatures in the Core book, enough that you could run using just that for a while at least.

While Mongoose has been slow to get adventures out for MRQII, you can check out the Signs and Portents index; there are some pretty decent scenarios there for free. Also you can download pdfs of older edition RQ adventures from online stores like RPGNow for very little cost (e.g. $5). I have found they all run just fine under MRQII (even old Chaosium and Judges Guild products!) with only minor tweaks that should be obvious: skill names, recalculating a few weapon damages etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to you both for the great responses. I'll definitely pick up the core rulebook...I think I have an introductory adventure for the last ruleset. I'll also check out RPGNow.

Is ther a website or download index for Signs and Portents?

Thank you so much for the feedback :)

Jack

You can download S&P directly off the Mongoose Publishing site. The contents are listed so you can tell which ones to look at.

Back