RuneQuest magazine?

Archer

Mongoose
Just had an idea, don't know if it is feasible or not - A Magazine dedicated to RuneQuest, published on the web as a .pdf document, with monthly articles, scenarios, npcs, etc. for RuneQuest. Perhaps also with a specific colum dedicated to previews of upcomming products for the RuneQuest game.

Idea was also that this could be done either as a fanzine, written by the fans, with a core of dedicated fans that collects, edits, and publish the magazine (techniqally it would be a fanzine), or it could be done with the corporation of Mongoose Publishing, with perhaps some of their people running the show.

Just put this post here, to see what you other forum visitors think of this idea, and to hear if there already are such plans in motion.

Archer said:
Just had an idea, don't know if it is feasible or not - A Magazine dedicated to RuneQuest, published on the web as a .pdf document, with monthly articles, scenarios, npcs, etc. for RuneQuest. Perhaps also with a specific colum dedicated to previews of upcomming products for the RuneQuest game.

Idea was also that this could be done either as a fanzine, written by the fans, with a core of dedicated fans that collects, edits, and publish the magazine (techniqally it would be a fanzine), or it could be done with the corporation of Mongoose Publishing, with perhaps some of their people running the show.

Just put this post here, to see what you other forum visitors think of this idea, and to hear if there already are such plans in motion.

The periodical fanzine Tradetalk has been known to publish (Glorantha-related) RuneQuest material back when AH RQ still hadn't quite died out, and also used to cover other BRP-game related stuff. I suppose Ingo will accept submissions for the new RQ just as readily as he will submissions for HeroQuest. (I might become more active as author and associate editor again, too...)

Web-published stuff doesn't exactly need print layout, but could easily be given as additional value. A forum or development wiki like the Whitewall project or my City of Karse (3rd Age) project could be used for alpha versions of the material, with someone converting the results into printable material now and then.

Convention publications (like Ye Booke of Tentacles or whatever fund-raiser Continuum or Scotscon might publish) would be happy to include quality RQ material, too.

jorganos said:
Archer said:

The periodical fanzine Tradetalk has been known to publish (Glorantha-related) RuneQuest material back when AH RQ still hadn't quite died out, and also used to cover other BRP-game related stuff. I suppose Ingo will accept submissions for the new RQ just as readily as he will submissions for HeroQuest. (I might become more active as author and associate editor again, too...)

Web-published stuff doesn't exactly need print layout, but could easily be given as additional value. A forum or development wiki like the Whitewall project or my City of Karse (3rd Age) project could be used for alpha versions of the material, with someone converting the results into printable material now and then.

Convention publications (like Ye Booke of Tentacles or whatever fund-raiser Continuum or Scotscon might publish) would be happy to include quality RQ material, too.

Would love to see it, I have some odds and ends that might fit. The Best RQ zine I ever saw was Tales, which just got better and better.

Hmm, ok.
My basic idea was to have a RuneQuest specific magazine/fanzine, especially since RQ now is supposed to be able to support multiple settings. But using an already established fanzine has many benefits.

You mean some sort of fan-produced game aid forum?

Not exactly sure how Mongoose may regard that. World adaptations, magic extensions etc, or what do you want to see in such an effort? Scenarios?

I had a successful set of RuneQuest campaigns on a world of my own design before I started to explore Glorantha. I'm sort of itching to try the new rules on that old setting (based on the Viking Box, but fantasy geography rather than Europe, with loans from real world history and mythology as well as Glorantha and Midkemia, 12000 years of vaguely written down history included).

Any fan material that is on private websites can be linked through http://lokarnos.com, BTW. Lokarnos has had an extra RQ topic from the start.

jorganos said:
You mean some sort of fan-produced game aid forum?

No, a magazine with unofficial (and perhaps official) articles regarding RuneQuest. Much like Dragon/Dungeon magazine for D&D, or Sinkadus (swedish mag during the 80s).

jorganos said:
Not exactly sure how Mongoose may regard that. World adaptations, magic extensions etc, or what do you want to see in such an effort? Scenarios?

Anything related. Be it scenarios, new creatures, an article about the religious practices of the voodoo ducks, etc.

jorganos said:
I had a successful set of RuneQuest campaigns on a world of my own design before I started to explore Glorantha. I'm sort of itching to try the new rules on that old setting (based on the Viking Box, but fantasy geography rather than Europe, with loans from real world history and mythology as well as Glorantha and Midkemia, 12000 years of vaguely written down history included).

And that would be a perfect article, or article series for a number of the RuneQuest magazine/fanzine.

jorganos said:
Any fan material that is on private websites can be linked through http://lokarnos.com, BTW. Lokarnos has had an extra RQ topic from the start.

Well, you could publish it on the web just like that. But it is much more inconvenient to print articles from the web than from a .pdf document. It would be nice to be able to print the magazine so that you can read it away from the computer, and use it at the table when you play.

Anything related. Be it scenarios, new creatures, an article about the religious practices of the voodoo ducks, etc.

Who told you about the voodoo ducks??? :shock:

RQ will indeed be supported in S&P. However, it is worth pointing out that due to the Open nature of the new game, as well as our licensing out the logo, anyone could do an RQ magazine, on or offline. . .

msprange said:
RQ will indeed be supported in S&P. However, it is worth pointing out that due to the Open nature of the new game, as well as our licensing out the logo, anyone could do an RQ magazine, on or offline. . .
Hang on, it's not been too long since Issaries clamped down on publication of non-approved publications and websites. Everything had to be submitted to them for approval.

Has that changed?

Wulf

Well, if the MGPRQ rules are going to be released as OGL (which I understand is the case), then by definition, anyone can publish any sort of material they wish for the game rules (assuming the have the proper disclaimers, etc.).

Now, what they can't do is interfere with the non-OGL IP stuff, by whch I'm assuming the actual Glorantha material itrself. For example, under the d20 OGL, I can publish a book about a campaign setting of my own creation that uses all the rules from the d20 Core books (with the exception of the character creation rules*), and I can use those rules, copy them, reference them, etc. so lomng as they are OGL, just fine.

What I could NOT do, however, is print a book talking about the Free City of Greyhawk and what happens there, or describe the wizard's tower of Elminster, or anything else which is non-OGL -- i.e., I can reference and use the rules, but not the flavor. Anything having to do with the 'flavor' would have to go through the respective copyright owner, which in that case is WotC.

I suspect the MGPRQ OGL system will be similar to the d20 version, in that I could publish my own campaign world if I wanted using the MGPRQ rules, but if I wanted to write an article on the Secret History of Jrustela or the like, I'd have to get permission from the owner of the IP first (either Mongoose or Stafford, depending on how they've got things set up for that sort of stuff).

An OGL system very clearly seperates the rules of a game (open material) from the setting of game (closed material).

Mind you; this is just an assumption based on how the current d20 OGL works; the MGP OGL may or may not be written similarly.

Steve M

* Hey, the originator of the OGL license still has to make money somewhere :)

Mongoose Acolyte said:
Archer said:

Who told you about the voodoo ducks??? :shock:

I am a mighty shaman, of the odoro duck tribe. The spirits of the dead knows many things... :wink:

msprange said:

Nice, good to know that.
Lets see what fruits the future bear.

Urox said:
I have the Quackodemon cult somewhere, trying to remember which fanzine it was in now......

RQ Adventures. See http://mythologic.info/questlines/duckkultz.html

For what it's worth. I would *LOVE* to include an RQ adventure in the next Ye Booke of Tentacles, due in the fall.

John

(tales of the reaching moon contributor/editor, now YBOT editor)

Tradetalk is a truly excellent Glorantha fanzine. IMO it's of much higher quality than Tales of the Reaching Moon ever was. Parhaps I'm more of a German school roleplayer than British school then.

Anyway, if Tradetalk is not familiar to you, I recommend looking it up. I'm also pretty sure they will support the MRQ second age Glorantha, if it turns out to be any good (who knows, the product can still suck).

I must say I'm rather optimistic because Mongoose seems to have a very good strategy going. Their products have lot's of support, and lots of material. If the new RQ will have anything like the B-5 game going I'm sure it will do well (lot's of books, miniatures, free bonus material...)

Back