Runequest Glorantha The Second Age

yipwyg

Mongoose
I was wondering if there will be any previews from this book, after the previews for the main rulebook are out.

Thanks for any info.

BTW been impressed with what I have read so far. This is pretty much my first experience with Runequest.

yipwyg said:
I was wondering if there will be any previews from this book, after the previews for the main rulebook are out.

Thanks for any info.

BTW been impressed with what I have read so far. This is pretty much my first experience with Runequest.

Wecome aboard, I hope you continue to like it.

I must admit I have concerns about the second age setting. A lot of what was truly lovable about Glorantha came from stuff that happened in the third age, so Mongoose are pretty much working from an almost blank canvas here.

No Syndics ban. No closing. No Dragonkill War. No Lunar Empire. No Kingdom of War. It's going to be almost like a different world......

My history's a bit rusty, but should the Rockwood Mountains even be there on the map, or did that happen earlier? (I'm not saying what that was cos I don't wanna spoil it for any newcomers!)

It will be very interesting though to see the second age stuff fleshed out properly, and the first age stuff hopefully getting a bit more detail (as it will now be more recent history).

But so far, a lot of what's being done with the rules looks very much like The Right Thing, and a return to the leaner, tighter, more focussed approach of RQ II. So maybe I'm worrying over nothing and we'll get the same level of quality with Glorantha too?

May very well be!

And if not, there is always Lankhmar. When TSR put out the d&d Lankhmar stuff I remember how annoyed I was that it wasn't using some form of BRP. Now this. For me, odds are very good for something to come of it that I will really, really love. :D

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
I must admit I have concerns about the second age setting. A lot of what was truly lovable about Glorantha came from stuff that happened in the third age, so Mongoose are pretty much working from an almost blank canvas here.

No Syndics ban. No closing. No Dragonkill War. No Lunar Empire. No Kingdom of War. It's going to be almost like a different world......

But so glorious, and far from a blank canvas. A lot of the coolest things on Glorantha happened in the second age. The Godlearners, The Empire of the Wyrms Friends, Founding of Pavis, The Six Legged Empire, The Elf empire in Pamaltela... Glorious. I'm especially eager to see how much material they will manage to produce on the Empire of Wyrms Friends.
[/quote]

GbajiTheDeceiver said:

Sort of the point of the exercise...

what you get is the Great Carmanian Empire, with Natha as its great avenging goddess (against the dragons of the EWF, and yes, Natha is the current -3rd Age - incarnation of the Moon), you get all kinds of dragon weirdness not just in Pavis but everywhere in Kerofinela, and the sea still is out to get you even without a magical curse. That yellow elf empire in the south needs some weeding out, too...

Or you could be the intrepid god learners to re-discover the route across Kartolin Pass.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
My history's a bit rusty, but should the Rockwood Mountains even be there on the map, or did that happen earlier? (I'm not saying what that was cos I don't wanna spoil it for any newcomers!)

No need to worry about that - those mountains predate Orlanth (his mother was born/seeded/created in that process by Larnste).

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
It will be very interesting though to see the second age stuff fleshed out properly, and the first age stuff hopefully getting a bit more detail (as it will now be more recent history).

But so far, a lot of what's being done with the rules looks very much like The Right Thing, and a return to the leaner, tighter, more focussed approach of RQ II. So maybe I'm worrying over nothing and we'll get the same level of quality with Glorantha too?

Greg has been pushed to set down some 2nd age facts for a while now, and others like Jeff Richard and David Dunham have contributed to that knowledge. (One extra-rare tome on the God Learners was auctioned off at Tentacles, 1out of 10 softcovers - went for 105 Euro - and one out of 5 hardcovers - went for 300 Euro, another one or two might go up on Ebay sometime soon. No idea whether it contains the secret.)

My main concern is getting the gazetteer parts right - any idea who's reality-checking that?

Sorry if I'm being daft.... but I'm sure I read either on a forum post or somewhere that the Mongoose 2nd age year is going to be 907ST?

As I'm already beginning to run away with ideas for scenarios and campaigns (and OGL's :D )I just wanted to make sure I got the year right for the default.

...or will people be pretty cool with varying years? I wanted to write a campaign 150 odd years after 907ST and nearer the tail end of the empires...

Anyone confirm this?

Back