Runequest for a non-glorantha type campaign

yipwyg

Mongoose
I do plan on running at least one Glorantha campaign. I have made the decision that Mongoose RuneQuest will very likely be my standard ruleset and will be buying just about every product that comes out for it.

That said I would also like to start working on a homebrew.

What I would like to do is have the following in my campaign.

The human kingdom will be dragon worshippers, I will use EWF dragon magic to flesh them out, as far as powers go Humans and those who follow their ways will belong to various dragon worshiping cults.

Elves, Dwarves, and such will be more of the typical fantasy versions of these, and probably will just use tweaked versions of their cults straight from the glorantha books.

Chaos worshippers will be more in the line of worshipping the Great Old ones from Cthulhu. I would be basically making cults of each of the Great Old Ones.

Runemagic would still be availble to everyone

Will post more about this later on when I have more time.

When I first thought about how I wanted my campaign setting to go, I was planning it with d20/D&D.

I have my standard weekly group of players who have been all d20ized, and it would be very hard to convince them at this point to play anything besides D20 type systems. My other smaller semi-weekly group is more open to trying out new systems, and some are getting tired of d20, so will be running it for these guys.

I had the following planned out.

The only Clerics would be humans (Dragon Gods), and dwarves (There own pantheon. Paladins would be human only.

Elves, Gnomes, & Halflings would be more nature oriented, so these races are the only ones able to be druids.

Orcs/Half-Orcs would be more tribal so was planning on some sort of shaman type class.

Sorcerers would be available to all races due to the fact it would be blood based. You are born with the power.

Wizards would be limited to Elves.

Other spellcasters would exist to fill in the holes, IE Dwarves would use some kind of Rune casting method.

I threw in Cthulhu type stuff due to the fact that I really like that type of thing. Also due to the nature of D&D, and for that matter MRQ, the characters are not as helpless as they would be in a straight Cthulhu type game. I ordered the new Cthulhu creature collection bascially to use as a "monster manual", and cult idea product. Even if I never ran MRQ or COC I would still of bought the book just to read it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With RuneQuest though I can easily mimic the above without the "bad" limiting what players can play aspect.

Humans worshiping Dragons, ok they get Dragon magic and can join dragon worshiping cults.

Elves priests are nature based, that is easy as well, just tailor the cults to suit this.

etc....

That is what I really like about a skill based game vs Class Based Game

I hope that later on there are RQ books with the following either through
Mongoose or a third party publisher

New types of Magic, Summoning, Pact Magic type things
More Monsters
More spells for the various magic systems already done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could just through the Cthulhu cults into standard Glorantha, but like another setting I like (Talislanta), Glorantha might be to much of a shock to some of my players. I might have better luck with them trying a new system that is more familiar.

Back