RQII Skype Game for Newcomers

RQII Newbies Skype Game

• Yes, its a great idea: Count me in!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Might be a good idea but I'll have to think about it

• Terrible idea. Count me out

• I'll be interested in hearing how this goes...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loz

Mongoose
Are you fresh to RQII?

Would you like to participate in a game over Skype?

I've decided to run a one-off scenario of 3-4 hours to help introduce RQII to newcomers to the system, including those with no experience but curious to learn. Here's my thinking so far...

1. I'll hold a vote on the setting: Glorantha, Elric or something else. Majority vote will decide.

2. I'll send out character creation details in advance and we'll work through those preliminaries on this board or via email.

3. Not sure about date yet... but it will be a weekend game and on EST (-5 GMT)

4. Anyone is welcome to join but preference will be given to newcomers and those who've just started the RQII experience. If this is a success, then I'll hold other one-offs, and perhaps some Living Glorantha, for the more experienced later.

5. Places will be limited to 6 people. It'll be sort-of first come first served, but I'll think round the selection process. You MUST be able to play on EST hours though.

6. You'll need to buy yourself a copy of the RQ rules, if you haven't already. And Skype. If you haven't got Skype its free and very easy to use.

7. I'll be looking for feedback here on the board from those who participate

How does this sound? Is there any interest?

I'm new to RQ in general, not just the latest edition. I would be interested in trying an online game, but I have no experience with Skype. I have played a couple sessions of Shadowrun using OpenRPG and Vent, but that is my only real experience with online gaming.

If this game is just going to be a one-off scenario maybe it would be better for you to make up the characters yourself and then assign them to players. That would not only save some time, but it would ensure a well balanced group of characters.

Unfortunately I work nights Sunday thru Thursday from 3 PM to 11 PM CST, so I may not even be available on the day and time you decide to run the game.

Not a noob, but I think it's a very cool idea and I, for one, would be up for it...exept my weekends tend to be stacked. It would depend totally on time and date.

But I would love to play a game with the games WRITER. You get tons of points for that. Have you considered running something on RPOL or RPG.net or some such? I would be in 100% (less block time commitment).

I, for one, would be quite interested if I knew what Skype was and how to use it. I also have and excel character generator that you might like that could help. I could forward it to you.

What kind of campaign is it? Historical? Fantasy? - Oh, you explained that in the first post. Sundays would be perfect for me and I'd vote for Deus Vult or any historical based game.

Please forgive my lack of tech knowledge.

Loz said:
Are you fresh to RQII?
Would you like to participate in a game over Skype?

We haven't formally played the game yet, though I am building a pretty massive campaign world and hope to start GMing it soon. If your offer is to bring new people to RQII, then I would probably wait and let real newcomers participate, after all, you've already sold me on the game, and I'm promoting it to our circle.

I discovered an alternative to skype the other day, www.tokbox.com, it can do multi-way video, Skype can only do video 2-way, it's voice only with more than 2. Might suffer if someone has slow interweb.

Loz said:
Are you fresh to RQII?
Technically, yes, but as a long-time RuneQuest player and ref of pre-Mongoose editions, I'd feel bad about taking the place of someone who would get more benefit. If there is space, then I'll join in (schedule permitting), but only if there is a spot that can't be filled.

I'd be up for this sort of thing too - but I'm not sure as to how it would pan out with NZ time. The fact is that I have to travel a couple of hours to get to a gaming group over here (Wellington) anyway, so playing on Skype (which I'm on) could be the best way to go in the future. Through the winter months, coaching and school commitments (I'm a Head Coach - in charge of 9 different teams, and I teach Physics too) keeps me pretty busy on weekends, but the summer months are just about arriving, so that should be better I hope in the meantime.

Not sure if I'm 'fresh'. In general RPG terms, I'm about as fresh as a mouldy potato, but not a lot of that experience is with RuneQuest directly (more CoC and Stormbringer, with WoD and WFRP previous long term gaming experience).

In terms of setting I'm not fussed. I have more experience with Elric and Deus Vult types of settings, but I'm trying to educate myself on Glorantha currently anyway.

I am a complete noob to RQ and fairly new to RPG's in general and I would love to do this. I have a little experience playing rpg's using VTT's and voice chat so I am comfortable with that aspect.
Anyway I would welcome the opportunity to get my feet wet in RQII and am pretty much open on any day and time, I am in EST.
My personal vote for setting would be Glorantha, I mean I have heard and read about this fabled setting for years, would be a shame to not experience it, however, having said that I am wide open on all the details and quite agreeable to anything.

So an encouraging response so far.

I'm going to let the poll run its course then do the following:

Set-up a thread on the Online Games section of this site to decide:

The players
The setting
Character options (pre-gen vs ground-up gen)
Possible dates and times

Please continue to express interest and offer feedback and ideas. You'll hear more from me on this shortly.

Definitely a case of count me in; I like the rules, but I've never had a chance to play with them. I suspect you'll find that there are always more people looking for a game (especially noobs) than there are places in games...

I'm new to RQ as a whole. I discovered it shortly after wasting my time reading the D&D 4e rules. I started googling for a skill based, percent system, and found exactly what I was looking for. I've been having a hard time selling my normal players on it though, but i got a small group together and have somewhat successfully run one session.

I think it'd be awesome to play through a scenario with an experience GM.

Back