Robot Handbook - Playing as an android.

AdamWillow

Banded Mongoose
My player would like to play an android character (Bishop, David, Walter).
I think we've embraced the android's entire build, cost, and even the tiniest details. But one thing puzzled me. The robot does not have a skill package that would allow him to use a vacc suit. Of course, he can buy a "zero-slot option" ie Vacuum Environment Protection, but it will be very susceptible to being an artificial creation. My player wants to be considered human, at least where it will be possible.

Do you have any suggestions? Add that skill? Allow the Vacum Environment Protection option and let him make difficult decisions when he has to go out into space, i.e. put on a vaccine suit, have a DM-2 or not and risk being caught? Other ideas?

We've already created this character on our session zero and we really don't want to start again.

If I understand the question correctly, the android wants to wear a vacc suit to pretend to be human. If so, then I would suggest taking Vacc Suit - 0 skill, since part of the skill is knowing how to wear and operate the suit properly, regardless of whether it's needed for survival. If the robot has vacuum environment protection, neither skill nor suit is necessary, but it sort of proves he's not human when he steps out the airlock.

pg 117, Skills, second paragraph.
I've seen that, but if I understand that correctly it represent upgrades to physical systems, so a part of actual chassis/android/robot not a skill that allows to put on a vacc suit

If I understand the question correctly, the android wants to wear a vacc suit to pretend to be human. If so, then I would suggest taking Vacc Suit - 0 skill, since part of the skill is knowing how to wear and operate the suit properly, regardless of whether it's needed for survival. If the robot has vacuum environment protection, neither skill nor suit is necessary, but it sort of proves he's not human when he steps out the airlock.

I thought about it but in Robot Handbook there is a list of skills for robots and vacc suit isn't one of them.
I would need to add it to the list.

The wording is "might" require. Those types of skills also correspond to physical packages, so navigation is GPS/magnetic/inertial detectors; Stealth is camo skin and quiet joints; Vacc would be hardening the systems for space - but wearing a suit for someone/thing capable of doing so is a legitimate skill. Skill is skill. 0 Level skills are inconsequential, so if your only reservation is adding it to the list, add it. If you can get the skill on a wafer jack, then an android can get a program for it.
If anyone calls you a name for doing so, tell them I said to "shut up because they are an idiot and it doesn't matter" (not that my name carries any weight anywhere - even in my own house - but if it takes the heat off you, go for it!)

I've seen that, but if I understand that correctly it represent upgrades to physical systems, so a part of actual chassis/android/robot not a skill that allows to put on a vacc suit

I thought about it but in Robot Handbook there is a list of skills for robots and vacc suit isn't one of them.
I would need to add it to the list.
Yeah, I guess that's an oversight on my part since I didn't think that you'd want to do it that way when adding vacuum environment protection is the obvious solution. But I understand the use case. The catch-all of Profession skill could work: Profession (Vacc Suit) - it even sort of makes sense to base it off of INT, since it's not for coordination, but for effect. Or you could go with Drive (walker) and use DEX.

If you're using it, this is exactly what the connections rule is for. Want a skill not captured in your career? Take it as one of your picks. Want your picks to drive skills up higher rather than get the skill you think you should have? That's a reasonable choice too, but then there's a tradeoff.

Maybe androids don't get Connections? I don't have that book near me. If they don't I'd let him trade down another skill for it if he chooses, but not require it. It's not like human PCs can't have gaps in their education either.

Back