RIP Anreas Katsulas

Ulfhedin

Mongoose
From Sci-Fi Com

Andreas Katsulas, the character actor known to SF fans as G'Kar on Babylon 5 and a familiar face from Star Trek and other SF&F TV shows, died Feb. 13 of lung cancer in Los Angeles, his agent, Donna Massetti, confirmed to SCI FI Wire. He was 59.

Katsulas, a longtime resident of Los Angeles, played the Narn ambassador G'Kar for five years in the syndicated cult TV series Babylon 5, starting in 1993. He reprised the role in subsequent Babylon 5 telefilms.

Katsulas was also no stranger to Trek fans, playing Romulan Cmdr. Tomalak in Star Trek: The Next Generation. His last appearance in a Trek series was as a Vissian captain on an episode of Enterprise.

Born in St. Louis, Katsulas held a master's degree in theater from Indiana University, his official Web site said. After performing in plays in St. Louis, New York and Boston, he went on to film roles in such movies as Michael Cimino's The Sicilian, which brought him to Los Angeles, then in Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me and Blake Edward's Sunset.

Katsulas moved to Los Angeles permanently in 1986 and found scores of television and film parts in everything from TV's Alien Nation and Max Headroom to the big screen's The Fugitive, in which he played the infamous one-armed man, and Executive Decision opposite Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal.

Information on memorial services was pending at press time.

Indeed, he was a great actor that brought alot to every role and project he worked on. Gods Speed Andreas.

Here's the comment from JMS on that sad news :

Subject: Andreas Katsulas is gone
To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 2/15/2006 6:52:01 AM

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a
passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer,
which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at
once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was
little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very
good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that
I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about
his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me,
Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and
good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him
because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we
knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his
eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good
work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the
planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many
cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be
private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play
that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

It's a sad day indeed...

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me,
Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and
good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him
because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we
knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

As I just posted in another forum, whilst reading this bit, I couldn't help but be reminded of Sleeping in Light - when they all have one last get-together knowing it would would be the last time they would see Sheriden.

That is very sad news. Even my better half loved his character playing opposite of Londo. He gave some of the most memorable performances in anything he played in.

G'kar said:
I believe that when we leave a place a part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in these halls, when it is quiet and just listen. After a while you will hear the echoes of all of our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit that the part of me that is going will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

RIP Andreas Katsulas. Your work has enriched us all.

As others have already said this is very sad news.
I was lucky enough to have met him a few times at conventions and will always remember him as charming and very funny man. I am very sorry that he has gone.

DW

It is a sad day. But he has some great company too stand beside as they watch over us, that is until each and everyone of us passes accross the Rim! Rest in peace G'Kar! Rest in peace Andreas! We shall carry our memories of you thru the rest of our lives! :(

-moment of silence-
May your next life filled with as much joy as you brought us all during this one, Andreas! We'll miss you here.

I will never understand why people smoke. I wish he had quit, because he might still be around. It's a loss that could have been avoided...he will be missed.

Back