Real world dimensions and deck plans?

AndyBigwood

Mongoose
Has anyone been geeky enough to calculate the square metre area of a 400dton ship in order to get an 'accurate' deckplan?
please check my maths
a dton is 2 square areas
a square is 1.5mx 1.5m = 2.25m sq.
therefore 400dTon = 800 square areas
800 x 2.25 = 1800m sq.
sq root of 800 = 28 (ish) so a ship is basically 28 squares x 28 squares.

This is for the 'Racing Yacht' I've posted about in another thread

No. Because the sq. meter calculations are irrelevant.
(Ship displacement in dtons x 2) +/- 10% is all you need

Having designed the ship as a 3d model ...I am now scaling the model to fit the plan area required by dtons of hull (most of the useful space is on one deck)...so I have the square area of a deck of the design model to which I will appy a scaling factor so that the model is sufficiently large for the correct number of deck squares to fit within it.

Part of the problem are the things that keep the atmosphere in and the infrastructure that you're falling against.

Basically, the hull and the floors.

AndyBigwood said:
Has anyone been geeky enough to calculate the square metre area of a 400dton ship in order to get an 'accurate' deckplan?
please check my maths
a dton is 2 square areas
a square is 1.5mx 1.5m = 2.25m sq.
therefore 400dTon = 800 square areas
800 x 2.25 = 1800m sq.
sq root of 800 = 28 (ish) so a ship is basically 28 squares x 28 squares.

Don't fuss with the square meter stuff. Just focus on counting up all the double-squares you'll be arranging for your decks.

If this is for 3D modeling, some masking will be needed to shave off the sliced cubes that you keep for later. Then enlarge your model so that you can find room to fit those slices in somewhere. The final size of the model will have the proper dimensions for your ship. Grab a Susan or whoever-these-days from SketchUp and place her next to your ship for size comparison, just to be sure things came out right.

If you have a 3D plug-in that calculates volumes for you, then just use that. Re-size your model until its volume matches the total cubic meters you have.

Back